Remove Advertisements

[Resto] Healing

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Resto] Healing

Postby Corvina » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:20 am

I'm at the point where I'm logging on my paladin for raids and that's it, so i've been leveling some alts.

I have my paladin for tanking and my DK for dps. I want my next 80 to be a healer (I despise healing on the paladin though i havn't really tried it since WotLK, pre expac I found it boring.)

Here's the Dilema.

I have a druid and a shaman close in level and I'm trying to decide which one to focus on to be my healer. My first 60 was a Nelf resto druid and I healed MC for my guild back when Innervate was a talent. So i have a soft spot for resto druids and this was my original focus. However, one of the fun parts of alts for me is the options I have for keeping things interesting. Lately I've been thinking that Elemental and Enhance will be more fun to off-spec on the shaman than Balance and Feral will be on the druid. Bottom line though, I want have healing as my main spec. My basic knowledge of the two classes tells me I'll get bored spamming chain heal on the shaman but have more fun with the off specs and vice versa on the druid.

So I'm curious what you all think about Shamans vs. Druids primarily as healers but also as a fun class to cary gear for multiple specs. I'm focusing mostly on the fun factor here, so i'd love to hear different opinions from fellow tankadins that I can consider when deciding which alt to log onto. Fun factor in pvp is a welcome addition but secondary to everything else.
Corvina

Re: [Resto] Healing

Postby Spectrum » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:32 am

I haven't done a resto druid since TBC, but in BC she was in T5 and had as much time played as my pally. Since Wrath I've leveled a shaman to 80 and have been resto since 78. She actually has a higher average ilvl than my paladin despite having a few blues still and only running Naxx10 about 4 times.

My observations:

Druids are proactive, shamans are reactive. A large portion of a druid's healing is HoTs, that means you want to have the HoTs up on the person who is about to take damage instead of the person who just took damage. This in some ways makes it easier because you have to react quickly less, but means you have to do a lot more tracking and predicting damage. Shamen mostly react with LHW, Riptide, HW, and Chain Heal.

Druids require tracking HoTs, shamans require quick reflexes. If your a druid you'll spend most of your time keeping track of who has the various HoTs on them (since you have four), and managing lifebloom stacks. I think it's actually a very fun way to play. Shamen spend most of their time watching for damage and reacting with their big heals.

Druids are great at support healing, shamans are great at raid healing and tank healing. The Druid's strong point is keeping HoTs up on multiple targets, that's where their abilities really excel. Shamans have good throughput on a single target with HW or ES+LHW, or great raid healing with Chain Heal.

Shaman healing in 25s is boring. You just stand there and spam Chain Heal. Druids get to manage multiple lifebloom stacks and do some raid healing with Regrowth/Nourish.

If you want to get a feel for what Shaman healing is like, try respecing your paladin to holy for a bit. It's very similar in the number of tools you get. You might feel like you're not really a healer since you only push 5 buttons.

Druids are their own beast (pun intended). They aren't like any other healer and have a style of their own, mostly revolving around HoT management.

You might try respeccing both, grabbing some minimal gear, and running some lowbie instances. Say 3-5 on each character. That might sound like a lot of time, but it's worth it when you look at how much time you'll spend leveling them. It will help you get a feel for both and figure out which you like better. As long as you're at least lvl 64 (for lifebloom) you should have all the major tools of both classes.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Elsie » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:33 am

Shamans do a lot more than spamming chain heal now. That's like saying Druids only cast lifebloom.

No one but you can tell you which will be more fun.
Elsie

Postby Levantine » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:16 pm

Elsie wrote:Shamans do a lot more than spamming chain heal now. That's like saying Druids only cast lifebloom.

This. If your guild is limiting you to being a Chain Heal bot in 25's then that's a problem with the guild, not the Shaman class.

On a side note. Riptide->HW->HW is omgamazing for throughput.
Levantine

Postby Corvina » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:08 am

Levantine wrote:Shamans do a lot more than spamming chain heal now. That's like saying Druids only cast lifebloom.

I know. I'm not looking for someone to say "Covina be a [class] it's what you'll enjoy." Just some insight and advice to consider.

Elsie wrote:This. If your guild is limiting you to being a Chain Heal bot in 25's then that's a problem with the guild, not the Shaman class.

Won't be doing many 25s unless we start doing alt naxx in the future which is a high possibility.

As far as respeccing them to try some instances, not a bad idea at all. However they're both in their 30's (druid is just under 40)
I've done some 5 mans, I was bored in mostly feral gear/feral spec. But really, you don't even need a healer at this level you can go with one or two off healers. Most the time i'm dpsing almost as much as i heal at this level. I just want to focus one and not sure which. (I have altitis right now)

Thanks for the input though! giving me more to consider. And as a raid leader, now i'm wonder if i'm pigeonholing my shamans always making them chain heal.
Corvina

Postby Levantine » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:30 am

It's about knowing your healers personality more than their class these days. If your Shaman is GOOD at raid healing and enjoys it by all means let them, just as long as you realise that that isn't the only thing they can do. ;)
Levantine

Postby Corvina » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:23 am

Thanks again for the input!

I got my druid to 40 and stopped and started playing the shaman. Got him from 35 to 44 in about a week with the help of many runs through ZF to try and get 2 of the maces/axes (have one of each.)

What i ended up doing is looking at all 3 specs of each class and choosing from there. I see myself wanting to get gear for ele, enhc, and resto on the shaman; but only feral dps and resto for the druid (very unhappy with the way lvl 80 balance seems to play right now.) This will give me more bang of my buck (i'm hoping.) Also did some AB the other night on the shaman (at 43) and had a blast. I figure around 60 or so i'll buy dual spec and be resto/ele or resto/ench so i can try healing in BC instances. If i remember i'll let you know how it works out for me.

Also, we finally got a new resto shaman in the guild (had 2, one left the other is taking a break.) so I plan to give him different healing jobs throughout naxx this week to see what his strengths are. Thanks for the input. I'll admit, my last two resto shamans were AMAZING raid healers so I got it in my head that that's what a resto shaman should be doing.
Corvina

Postby Spectrum » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:49 pm

Levantine wrote:
Elsie wrote:Shamans do a lot more than spamming chain heal now. That's like saying Druids only cast lifebloom.

This. If your guild is limiting you to being a Chain Heal bot in 25's then that's a problem with the guild, not the Shaman class.

It's not that you can't and don't do more, it's just that it's so damn easy to be effective this way. When you have enough healers that you don't have to worry about maximizing throughput then it becomes easy to use CH to top lots of people off. It's sort of like filler and when it's easy that's most of what you do. Sure, a Druid might not only spam Lifebloom, but if the content is easy then Lifebloom is all you need to cast.

Last 25 I healed I did 51% of my effective healing through Chain Heal. Part of that may have been my wife whose priest was taking care of tanks.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes