[Holy-PvE] So I tried to heal...

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Postby Threatco » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:23 am

I often switch between 4 specs on my paladin. Having healer addons like grid/clique or healbot are a burden.

I like to be able to just move a few key abilities around on my action bars to re-use frequently used macros.

Xperl is all I need.

Overhealing is not an issue unless you go OOM. Seeing incoming heals never seemed like a big advanatage to me. You are almost always assigned to tank healing in raids anyways.

Sacred shield. Use it. Abuse it. It's so good it's being nerfed. Enjoy it while you can.

Otherwise, I agree with everthing else people are saying. I find glyph of seal of light better for PvP or Malygos/Sarth2+D burst. Otherwise seal of wisdom glyph for more longevity.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Re: [Holy-PvE] So I tried to heal...

Postby Nemuria » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:57 am

I don't know for you but I can't see the previous posts.

I have switched to glyph of SoL recently. Working on a crit+healing power setup to replace the all intellect stuff. Despite being at 1850sp, my heals are more powerful and regen doesn't suffer much. Horde is really suffering in BG now.

I am planning to get back glyph of SoW + minor glyph to switch seal in combat. I hope dual spec comes now because I have to remove/addd glyphs of Seal of Judgement, Spiritual attunment everytime.
Nemuria

Postby Duraz0rz » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:46 am

Eh, the problem with glyphing SoL and stacking crit+SP is that bigger heals = more overheal, especially with the amount that we do now. Even on a fight like Razivious when I'm healing the MCed adds, I can do upwards of 50-60% overheal because of Beacon + HL spam.

As for healing, I recently switched from Xperl to Grid, and I must say I'm loving it. Too bad Grid doesn't give me enough information (debuffs, mainly) in an arena match...I have Pitbull, but I need to configure the party frames for that. In a BG or raid situation, Grid is a LOT better than Xperl just because it puts out so much info in a tiny, customizable space in an easy-to-read format. I can't say anything about Healbot, because i've never used it, but from what screenshots I've seen, it's too big for me.
Duraz0rz

Postby sherck » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:02 am

Duraz0rz wrote: Eh, the problem with glyphing SoL and stacking crit+SP is that bigger heals = more overheal, especially with the amount that we do now. Even on a fight like Razivious when I'm healing the MCed adds, I can do upwards of 50-60% overheal because of Beacon + HL spam.

I concur on the SoL glyph. I much prefer the SoW glyph that allows my mana pool to stay up a bit more and lets me dip into a Holy Light spam longer if the fit hits the shan...5% extra healing turns my normal 3400 FoL into a 3570 FoL....a drop in the bucket in terms of actually keeping someone up, IMO.

However, I have no idea how you overheal on Razivious unless you are raid healing. All I do is "assist-target" the boss to make sure I am on the right add and that add never has more than 80% health. I don't think I have ever had an overheal on the adds on that fight. Perhaps our healers are just not as "on top" of things as yours and keep the adds closer to 100% but my heals on those guys are just sucked into an endless health pool.

Duraz0rz wrote:As for healing, I recently switched from Xperl to Grid, and I must say I'm loving it. Too bad Grid doesn't give me enough information (debuffs, mainly) in an arena match...I have Pitbull, but I need to configure the party frames for that. In a BG or raid situation, Grid is a LOT better than Xperl just because it puts out so much info in a tiny, customizable space in an easy-to-read format. I can't say anything about Healbot, because i've never used it, but from what screenshots I've seen, it's too big for me.

I really like Healbot....I can cast all of my spells that effect friendly units through it and have even replaced using Decursive with it. It is a large interface, and in a 25-man raid it takes up a good 1/3 of my screen but in PvE, I have no issues with that. I do not PvP but I could see it taking up that much real estate being a bad thing in PvP.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Nemuria » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:24 am

Duraz0rz wrote:Eh, the problem with glyphing SoL and stacking crit+SP is that bigger heals = more overheal, especially with the amount that we do now. Even on a fight like Razivious when I'm healing the MCed adds, I can do upwards of 50-60% overheal because of Beacon + HL spam.

The crit is there to replace the loss of Divine Plea+Intellect combo. I am still not satisfied of the 30% crit - also because specced in 51/5/15. Intellect is still above. It's more in preparation of 3.1and the kind of gear I will build in the (far) future.

Overhealing is not an issue as you overheal anyway. When you are running with 1K9 sp, it's close to SoL glyph and 1K8 sp. If you lower sp, you start notice you have less power heal while keeping the same % of overhealing.
Nemuria

Postby yappo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:24 am

From the other side of the fence, ie the tanking side.

There's almost nothing a DPS can do to screw up a heroic five-man as horribly as a pally healer who's not doing the job right. Ok, let's discount outright sabotage here. 800 dps? I can (usually) live with that if the healer is good. Applying tactical nukes to something while I prepare to pull? It can be taunted. Using a shockwave-effect to throw every mob out of my consecrate? I'm likely to grab most of them back, and unless what I lost goes chewing up my healer we can fourman it.

Enter the pally healer in an AOE heavy environment. They're either magicians at the keyboard, throwing cleanse, FoL, HL, SS, Beacon and whatnot all over the placelike there was no GCD, or they're outright awful. Average encounter: Phase 1) I'm overhealed, receiving a HL as soon as I dip below 90% health. In the meantime DPS and healer health plummets like a ton of bricks. Phase 2) Healer panics and selfheals. DPS die. I punch bubblewall at around 25% health. Phase 3) Wipe.

Funny thing. A pretty awful pally healer makes a fully functional raid-MT healer.

Would it be fair to guess that the awful pally healer is like the equally awful pally tank, who never taunts, never stuns, ALWAYS use AS once it's off CD (and thus doesn't have a minor oh-shit button available), never walks out of shit and often go OOM because "keeping threat is the most important job of the tank, so either l2p or activate the useless JoW, SoW and BoSanc"?

On a sidenote: dualspec will hurt a lot. I'm supposed to take on the healing role to balance out our guild better, giving healers the chance to DPS and DPS the chance to tank. Another awful pally healer incoming :D
yappo

Postby Nemuria » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:42 am

That's all the point on why they want to keep holy as a MT single target healer.It takes time to L2P. When you get deeper, maybe...maybe, you get interested in another healing class.

Did you just notice how difficult it's to find info on paladin healing? I have mostly learn everything alone (by playing or watching other paladins). When looking on sites like banana shoulders or former offspec guide, it just reflects what you are already doing.
Once I did some video test on BG healing. It was so boring to watch I removed on scene then another and another, until it ended a video of me walking in Stormwind :(
Nemuria

Postby sherck » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:08 am

yappo wrote:Enter the pally healer in an AOE heavy environment. They're either magicians at the keyboard, throwing cleanse, FoL, HL, SS, Beacon and whatnot all over the placelike there was no GCD, or they're outright awful. Average encounter: Phase 1) I'm overhealed, receiving a HL as soon as I dip below 90% health. In the meantime DPS and healer health plummets like a ton of bricks. Phase 2) Healer panics and selfheals. DPS die. I punch bubblewall at around 25% health. Phase 3) Wipe.

Funny thing. A pretty awful pally healer makes a fully functional raid-MT healer.

An interesting observation and one that I find mostly right because.....only a few brave, dumb people every level their Paladin as Holy and learn how to heal in 5-mans on the way up.

Holy sucks to level...ergo, most level as Ret/Prot and then switch at max level to Holy to "help" out their guild and raid heal. They never learn how to heal in a 5-man until max level Heroics and many even skip that part by jumping straight into being carried along in guild raids by overgeared tanks/DPS in order to "gear up" the new healer.

I levelled Prot up until 18, switched to Holy then to heal WC and then SFK with a Warrior buddy whom I was leveling with, liked healing so I stayed Holy, flited with Ret for about 3 levels in my 40s and then leveled Holy the rest of the way. Learning how to heal all the different kinds of encounters in an instance like, say, ST or Mara is mucho beneficial to teaching a Pally healer on how to heal in just about any 5/10 man encounter where you are responsible for more than just the MT.

Sadly, many Holy Paladins never learn this and thus suck healing 5/10 man and heavy AoE encounters.

Also, sadly, Blizzard seems to be okay with the concept that Holy Paladins only exist to heal a MT in a 25-man raid. Taking away our Sacred Shield on anyone besides the MT, taking away Crit heals through our Beacon, taking away my short cast time Holy Light through IoL, refusing to give us a base-line multi-person heal spell, and nerfing our mana-regen so that I cannot bomb my single existing multi-person heal capability (glyphed Holy Light) just makes us very limited for 5/10 man encounters when compared with any other healing class.

Good observation.

Cheers,
sherck

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes