How not to do Heigan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Shirak » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:08 pm

I've tanked him on the platform twice with the ranged on the opposite corner and it worked easily.

The trick is to tank him on the floor off the tip of the corner of the platform with you up on the edge. the casters can get out of range of the debuff. This was on 10 man and it made that phase of the fight a cake walk.

As far as progressing into harder content, I don't think using things to your advantage will handicap. Each fight has mechanics and folks live and learn.

Dancing through phase two well, that's another story.

On one attempt it was down to me and a holy paly and the boss had 1.4 million left. After about 4 "Dances" we opted to DI so we could let the raid try again or we'd have been there a few hours finishing him.

However, we made them watch us run the dance a few times to say "ha ha".
Tuberon wrote:Tanking *is* crowd control.

You run into a crowd, and proceed to control it.
Shirak

Postby SellassieTanks » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:20 pm

Shirak wrote:I've tanked him on the platform twice with the ranged on the opposite corner and it worked easily.

How long ago was this? This is the strat that we used to use, but I'm pretty sure that AWHILE ago they increased the range of the debuff, thus eliminating this strat.
SellassieTanks

Postby Isetnefret » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:15 pm

I stopped fighting it. This is the strategy we now use, and I can confirm it works.

I didn't notice any appreciable gains from it unless you're incredibly melee heavy.

What it DOES do is allow perfect placement of flares...if you use those.

I needed flares the first few times. Now I can do it w/o, and have many times.

I analyzed every little scrap of data, and have come to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter.

You are talking about a 10-15 second time difference in 10 man.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Re:

Postby jokerfmj » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:43 am

Isetnefret wrote:Are we sure that the platform is too small?

Some guildmates are ADAFUCKINGMANT that there's room.

It's possible. If you keep him off the forward edge and have your casters keep hanging off the back corner diagnoally, it works. I did it this past week with a guild.

Although personally I prefer to do the dance, it's fun, and give me a DPS and a Healer who won't run out of mana and i'll dance 3 man that with ease. I guess when it comes to WoW I don't have two left feet, heh.
-JokerFMJ.
jokerfmj

Re: How not to do Heigan

Postby Kelaan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:11 pm

While I can do the dance, I prefer to tank him off the corner as well -- lets my mind partition "build threat and cleanse" from "dance, little man, dance! Oh, and exorcism/shield/hammer/hoReck whenever."
Kelaan

Postby Wolvar » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:13 pm

I didn't notice any appreciable gains from it unless you're incredibly melee heavy.

Once again.. you are losing a TON of damage if you are melee heavy. You need to parse your logs and look at parries. Then do it normal with a good tank and watch that damage skyrocket.
Wolvar

Postby Kelaan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:20 pm

The gains I've noticed have not been in raid damage (though, being able to have cooldowns active and in place for the full duration of heroism DOES seem to help some), but in the diminished chances for peoples' attention to lapse and lead to a death. My fingers can concentrate on (a) building threat and (b) cleansing, rather than having to also (c) hit movement keys. Sure, using Emacs makes me amenable to key chords, but that's damned annoying while tanking.

We still have people die on the phase 2, but they are generally the new people.
Kelaan

Re:

Postby Meloree » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:48 pm

Kynes wrote:The major point I'm trying to get across is that from this point on, the game is going to get harder. And this fight is one of the easiest in the game. Sure, you can do it this way. But was it intended? I doubt it. "Skipping" the mechanic of this fight just undermines your guild's eventual progression.

Compromise. Tank him out on the floor in Position 2. Don't move. Melee gets his back the whole time. Casters don't get the debuff. Healers start to pretend like they're taking things marginally seriously, instead of bragging about smite-spam dps. Won't hurt you in progression if your healers can pretend like they're awake for 10-15 minutes.

--
Meloree, <Edge>, Garona
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon