Remove Advertisements

[10]Gluth Add-Kiting question

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10]Gluth Add-Kiting question

Postby Trixia » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:56 am

Your raid comp is fine...

The fact that you have so much movement speed reduction is a win win for this. You don't even need snare to do it on the 10man. The fact that you DO have snare means this fight is very easy.

For kiting... Use your Prot Pally, and 1 Frost Mage. Your Shaman can run back and fourth between Gluth, and the kiters to drop EarthBind totems. But honestly, as a Holy Pally, I 1 heal Gluth all the time while our 2nd healer heals in the back. So I don't see any reason why your Holy Priest can't do the same. Granted, having no way to dispell Enrage means you'll have to heal harder, but it's not a hard fight to heal.

Alternativly, you have have your Prot Warrior re-spec into Piercing Howl for this. And have your Prot warrior Kite with a Mage in the back. This leaves your Shaman, and Your Priest free to heal in the front. This may be a little better because you have no hunter or rogue to Tranq his enrages. Re-speccing for this fight should take just a few mins to hearth, re-spec, and have a lock summon back. Can prolly have it done b4 yur done doing loot from Grobulus.

If your really worried about the abilities of your Boomkin to OTank for a few seconds while the stacks fall off your MT (we usually have a DPS Feral do it) You can just make your frost mages kite in the back and have the shaman keep EarthBind totem's down in the middle for them to kite thru.

Naxx10 is doable with all sorts of raid comps. We've done it with no snare in the back, and just a DK kiting them with Unholy Aura. Be creative :)

Karnadas wrote:So tonight's run doesn't look so hot as far as Gluth goes

we have:

Prot Warr
Prot Pally

Holy/disc priest
Resto shaman

Boomkin with next-to-no tank experience, and even less tank gear
Three destro Locks
Two FFB mages (one of the mages is filling in a missing spot, which used to be our previous kiter)

I'm not exactly sure how we'll be able to handle adds. I was thinking the druid could just soak the mortal wounds and I (tankadin) could kite adds, but I'm not entirely sure how effective that would be, especially considering his lack of crit-immune and maybe one piece of feral gear.

The mages aren't particularly keen on kiting, either.

I know I read a story about someone (maybe Dorvan?) kiting adds AND taunting Gluth long enough for the Gluth-tank to lose his debuff. It doesn't seem like we should go into the situation with that in mind (and we'd have to be especially conscious about the devastate timing) but would that be viable, or what else could we do.

We'd prefer not to make our mages respec, especially since one is here to fill a spot.

Thanks for any imput =)
Trixia

Postby Maat » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:38 am

We stopped kiting on Gluth a long time ago. One day I just got lazy, threw on all my block value gear, and tanked all the zombies on the grate while my off-tank tanked Gluth (with some dps taunting off him for stack removal... no lack of dps DKs)

Granted, I have 1800-2000 BV raid-buffed, but the healers commented it was super easy to keep me up even when the debuffs hit 99 by the time Gluth died. I'm sure a lesser amount of BV gear could do it just fine.

Ended up adapting it for our 25-man too, just with 2 tanks face-tanking a grate.
Maat

Postby trellian » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:58 am

Small tip is to use http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44228 on him.
This makes his hitbox 50% smaller and it will take longer before the zombies get into his range and he starts consuming them.
It'll buy you a small bit of time when killing the zombies.
trellian

Postby Neara » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:17 am

Maat wrote:We stopped kiting on Gluth a long time ago. One day I just got lazy, threw on all my block value gear, and tanked all the zombies on the grate while my off-tank tanked Gluth (with some dps taunting off him for stack removal... no lack of dps DKs)

Granted, I have 1800-2000 BV raid-buffed, but the healers commented it was super easy to keep me up even when the debuffs hit 99 by the time Gluth died. I'm sure a lesser amount of BV gear could do it just fine.

Ended up adapting it for our 25-man too, just with 2 tanks face-tanking a grate.

this.

yesterday i finally bitched my raidleader long enough to allow me to tank them in 25. So much easier, than jumping around. Overall i took even less dmg than the two Gluth tanks together and i had not one near-death experience which i always had while kiting when Earthbinding Totem expired or other things that made me take hits in the back
Neara

Postby Origon » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:36 am

I've personally ended up solotanking the entire thing on the DK several times with no plate dps to taunt to drop off stacks. They simply wear off at 10 stacks and you start off with 0 again. Then again, I save a cooldown for the 9-10 stack stretch, but with a pally healer its not bad at all. That way my OT can simply tank the zombies on the grate.
Origon

Postby Mozen » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:09 am

Leading a guild raid of mostly newbies into this fight tomorrow. I'm going to be kiting as holy, but I need some confirmation about run speed.

Kiting as holy, do we need PoJ, if there are absolutely no slows in the raid?

Raid composition is:
Tankadin + DK tank
Holy paladin*2
Holy Priest
Warlock
Rogue*2
DK
*one slot still to be determined*

I'd love to fill the position with a hunter but it's hard to find people willing to do progression on Naxx10 these days. Plus we've cleared Arachnid and Military today. Most likely we have to take whoever's willing to come.

Or is a slow effect absolutely necessary here?

I kited 25-man Gluth adds twice with PoJ and get hit quite a bit due to me running through adds to tag new spawns.

PS: Unrelated question, if all the damage dealers sit at less than 2k dps, are we going to hit a wall at Thaddius? I don't mind giving up at Sapphiron but it'll be quite a disappointment for them if we can't clear at least the four wings. (Wait, don't tell me we won't even make it past Patchwerk...)
Mozen

Postby Wolvar » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:04 pm

You are far better off letting the tankadin kite the adds and have the DK's swap taunt to clear the debuff. With 3 healers he doesn't even have to kite them and can bunch to make them easier to mow down at decimate.
Wolvar

Postby Mozen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:50 pm

I didn't want to let the tankadin kite because his movement simply isn't up to it.

We ended up with a hunter to fill our slot and had the hunter drop frost trap and the DK kite. Half way into the first try I realized that our other holy paladin was able to keep both tanks up perfectly even through decimate (go go beacon!) so I just ran around doing nothing but giving directions.

The DK was in DPS spec but had half a tanking set, though he didn't last long enough when he got beat on and ran out of range for heals.

On one try I ended up taking over kiting duty when DK died and it was actually easier than kiting as protection. There are no mana concerns, you loose AS but gain a 40yrd judgement with only 10sec cooldown for pickup. You are able to heal yourself just fine with holy shock and the occasional instant flash. PoJ is definitely recommended, though. I didn't try without PoJ, but I think it does make a difference.

So the moral of the story is...10-man really is easy enough for a lot of variation.
Mozen

Postby Kelaan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:46 pm

Once you overgear it, bring an extra healer and just tank them all down; have a bear or plate-wearing-DPS in tank gear be offtank for Gluth. When you don't ... how is a paladin NOT excellent for this?

- PoJ + Earthbind (esp if you have a shammy healer on you) or frost trap
- avenger's shield
- consecrate on the grate
- judgement
- exorcism
- hand of reckoning + anything
- ShoR/HotR things in melee range

Will a bubble after the first Decimate clear the debuffs? I Seem to recall reading that it doesn't, but could be wrong. In any case, you can basically just run big circles around the grate and pick up spawns every time you pass. You'll outrun any that get close enough to you, so you should take minimal debuffs. The damage from the debuff seems to only get applied when you don't block.... but I might be misremembering that detail.
Kelaan

Postby Salamandra » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:13 pm

In an attempt to kill kill Gluth as quickly as possible, the zombies were neither tanked nor kited by anyone the last time we did it. 1 tank, 8 dps, 1 healer. The healer obviously got aggro from all the zombies, but as a result of killing him in 80 seconds and two divine hymns, 2 holy wraths, 1 frost nova, he didn't even go low.

Also: No, bubbling does not clear the debuff the zombies put on you.
Salamandra

Postby Flex » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:20 am

I always tank the chow on [10]Gluth as it is easy and Beacon of Light from the holy Paladin requires zero dedicated healing work.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Panzerdin » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:44 am

Mozen wrote:I didn't want to let the tankadin kite because his movement simply isn't up to it.

We ended up with a hunter to fill our slot and had the hunter drop frost trap and the DK kite. Half way into the first try I realized that our other holy paladin was able to keep both tanks up perfectly even through decimate (go go beacon!) so I just ran around doing nothing but giving directions.

The DK was in DPS spec but had half a tanking set, though he didn't last long enough when he got beat on and ran out of range for heals.

On one try I ended up taking over kiting duty when DK died and it was actually easier than kiting as protection. There are no mana concerns, you loose AS but gain a 40yrd judgement with only 10sec cooldown for pickup. You are able to heal yourself just fine with holy shock and the occasional instant flash. PoJ is definitely recommended, though. I didn't try without PoJ, but I think it does make a difference.

So the moral of the story is...10-man really is easy enough for a lot of variation.

He doesn't need to kite anything, just stand there and tank them.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby majiben » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:40 am

But what's the fun in that? :D

I don't think I could do a full naxx clear if couldn't handle the more interesting tasks like chow kiting. MTing in that place is entirely tank and spank.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Panzerdin » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:46 am

Trash and overpulling.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Previous

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon