Magtheridon - What should I tank?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Magtheridon - What should I tank?

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:45 am

Well the time has come for my guild to start attempting Magtheridon, and I was wondering which part of the encounter I should tank. Please note that I would personally like to tank Magtheridon, as it seems like the fight is a good one for me to prove to the guild that I can MT progressive content, as a lot of people have doubts about pally tanking bosses in my guild. I know that the pickup is a little difficult, as Mag has sort of a lag time coming out of banish, and I am a better tank to pick him up compared to a warrior due to consecration. I was personally thinking that I'd be a good candidate to tank the first mob via Fairy Wings then wait for Mag and tank him for the rest of the fight. One thing I am concerned about though, is my gear. I match the other two warriors on pretty much every aspect, but my avoidance is a little bit lower. Fully raid buffed I can achieve 19k health, which I have heard is enough to handle his possible spike of around 17k. Do you think I can take him?

This is my Armory:
Me!

The other 2 candidates to tank him would be:
This one has expressed a desire to no longer be considered a "main" tank, as he is going a hybrid spec in 2.3, and it would be better to give other tanks the experience.
This one is usually the "main" tank, but I doubt he would have any problem letting me tank Maggy.

Anyways, any insight would be appreciated. I would personally like to tank Maggy because I'd like to prove to my guild that I can tank progressive content, so that they won't be afraid to use me as a main tank on other boss fights that I can be useful tanking.
Ash

Postby Worldie » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:00 am

According to what i see, i think both you and the orc could tank Maghteridon himself, supposing you both can get to a 19k+ HP raidbuffed, with 20k being ideal.
Maghteridon is all about spikedamage, he melees for 5-6k non crushing and cleaves for 9k+ as far as i remember, so you should be able to take a spike of 16-17k damages without dying.

By the way, if they decide to let you tank the fat boss, since you are a paladin, and paladin's are all about threat generation, i'd suggest you to tank the first add or the first 2 adds toghether, since you would allow the DPS to nuke them faster, and then freeing you for picking him.
Also, get some Nightmare seeds, they are big friends.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:08 am

Well, I like to be as prepared as I can consumables wise, so here's a list of the consumables I was planning to use (also, do Stonshield pots share a CD with nightmare seeds?):
Flask of Fortification
Superior Wizard Oil
Spicy Crawdad
Greater Rune of Warding
Stoneshield Potion
Nightmare Seed (if they don't share a CD, if they do, which is better?)

Is there anything else that I need? Also, what should I do for the GINORMOUS cave in at 30%? It isn't possible to bubble at this time, since he still attacks during this, doesn't he? Is it just best to have my finger over my LoH and popping a seed?

Edit: And if the NB Chest drops before we attempt him I'll end up being at about 19.8k buffed... curse my absolutely horrible luck :cry:
Ash

Postby adese » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:46 am

Ash wrote:Well, I like to be as prepared as I can consumables wise, so here's a list of the consumables I was planning to use (also, do Stonshield pots share a CD with nightmare seeds?):
Flask of Fortification
Superior Wizard Oil
Spicy Crawdad
Greater Rune of Warding
Stoneshield Potion
Nightmare Seed (if they don't share a CD, if they do, which is better?)

All potions (healing, mana, ironshield) share a cooldown. Nightmare Seeds share a cooldown with both healthstones and the healing stones from Ogri'la (charged crystal focus, I think?).
adese

Postby Worldie » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:59 am

The seed shares cd with Healthstones, i think it's a bit longer than normal healthstone CD but it's much more effective since you will have those 2k extra HP for some seconds.

For that omfgwallfalling at 30%, save your Seed CD for that, and be prepared to use LoH if healers aren't fast enough. When we do Maggy, since i don't MT him (i really hate tanking hard hitting bosses, it's a fact), i often pop my LoH on the MT to make sure he doesn't die for a unlucky combo.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby mconeone » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:22 am

Tank the first two adds. Have a hunter misdirect the second one to you.
mconeone

Postby Agravaine » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:44 am

I actually tank adds 4 and 5, while add 1 is being killed (hunter misdirects one to me since they are too far to shield).

After add 1 is dead, tank 1 comes and taunts add 4 off me, then I tank add 5 until it's dead. I'd really prefer not to be eating all those shadow bolts since I have no interrupt, but I'm probably out 2nd best tank.
Agravaine

Postby Aevisarace » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:33 pm

He doesn't hit extremely hard, at 20k I didn't even flask/stam food on our first kill since I never went down in ANY of our previous attempts.

(Note: I used max buffs to learn the fight the first few nights we were there, but +spell damage and +stam buffs seemed completely unnecessary after we found out there was pretty much no way I could die and my threat lead was ridiculous).
Aevisarace

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag