Remove Advertisements

BM Strat

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

BM Strat

Postby Scrawn » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:00 pm

Ok so I tanked BM today with success but I feel we did it in the wrong way to suit my abilities. It was a guild run ofc.

The way we played was I would tank the rift lords while we dpsed them down and we had a lock designated to take down all the adds while i did not use any aoe.

Now I was thinking that I could AoE everything and let the 2 locks we have go mad with SoC and tear through the instance quicker. Can I AoE the mobs without too much trouble? Our healer, while in blues is pretty imba palla healer
I'm not sure if you're aware, but math is, in fact, not voodoo magic, and you can't invalidate the
mathematical formulae the game is based on with your nonsense anecdotes
Scrawn

Postby PsiVen » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:17 pm

Yes, pretty silly not to consecrate, not like you're breaking CC...
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Scrawn » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:39 pm

Well i did conc but to the side of the portal not to take the adds so the lock could pick them up so... Should I just tank the kitchen sink?
I'm not sure if you're aware, but math is, in fact, not voodoo magic, and you can't invalidate the
mathematical formulae the game is based on with your nonsense anecdotes
Scrawn

Postby Nikolaos » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:55 pm

Yes.
Nikolaos

Postby Grandell » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:47 pm

I do BM on a regular base for friends and Guildies... they love it.. because there is no need for anyone to take adds .. so mate.. tank it all.. your a pally .. you can do it
Grandell

Postby spelltank » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:03 pm

yeah, u'd probably be fine just tanking them all, but SoC probably wont be that useful for BM adds, since there arent many of them at a time hopefully...

would be easier to just tank the adds, and get ur locks to 2dot them or something, they'll go down in about 10 seconds and your locks will save mana and be able to spend more time on the bosses
spelltank

Postby Makaijin » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:12 pm

What we tend to do is have me tank everything, while all the dps just burn down the rift lords. By the time the rift lord goes down I would have enough threat on the adds for the AoE to go crazy. The advantages of this is that the faster the rift lords drops, the less adds gets through the portal. With the portal closing so soon we tend to get more rest time. If the dps is fast enough you'll only get 2 wave of adds that get through for each portal.
Makaijin

Postby guillex » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:43 pm

1. Stand in front of the portal
2. Aggro Rift Lord
3. Drop consecrate
4. Cast HS
5. ???
6. Profit
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Nidal » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:26 am

Well, I've had problems getting the adds to walk through my Consecration, they always seem to enter the battle and walk to either side of it. Is there a positioning secret to ensuring they have to step into the Consecration?

My other issue is that I'm constantly OOM during this event. Last time I used 8 Super Mana Pots! Very expensive runs...

I do have to admit that I never downrank anything, maybe I'll try that, though I doubt a rank 1 Consecration will hold much aggro.
Nidal

Postby tbolt » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:11 pm

As far as mobs going around consecrate, try grabbing the rift lord and move a bit away from the portal but still standing directly in between the portal and medivh. That should get all the fresh mobs coming out of the portal to walk straight into it. As far as mana issues are concerned I usually drop 2 max rank consecrates and then start downranking them quite a bit just to grab the new mobs coming out of the portal, by the time your group downs the riftlord even the downranked consecrates (combined with HS which I always use the max rank of) should have built enough aggro on the adds for the team not to have to worry.
tbolt

Postby Zhalseran » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:20 pm

I've only done BM about 3 times on my Paladin since I hate it and it can go die.

On that note, it was always very easy. I personally never had any trouble positioning myself for the adds, but I can be very obsessive when it comes to things like being square with Medivh. I generally just salv everyone and use nothing but rank 1 consecrate, in order to conserve mana. I also use SoW, although it seemed largely unnecessary at the time.

Although, my gear is much MUCH better than the last time I did BM, so I do not know if I would have mana issues were I to do it now.
Zhalseran

Postby Corynthia » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:33 am

We run normal BM now, and the portal script is boringly easy. We used to rush this instance, but the key was actually to slow down and make sure to eat/drink between every portal.

Basically, I'd go up to a portal, pick up the Elite, move about 15 yards away from the portal (or just body pull/ to the distance to start with, because their aggro range is large), and pick up all the adds as they walked by with Consecrate. DPS focused exclusively on the Elite, and then downed the adds afterwards.

As soon as the portal was downed, everyone ate/drank to full, all three DPS would head to Medivh, clear adds that got through, and then fight back to the next portal. I would head off to grab the next Elite with my healer in tow, and by the time DPS arrived, they didn't even have to think about holding back.

The full rest you and your healer get between portals makes each new portal much quicker to down because you don't have to conserve mana at all. If you have problems with missing adds, watch one walk by you and plop down right in its path. If it gets by, let DPS handle it, and just time your AOE to grab future patrols.

This place is really a breeze given decent gear and a cohesive party.
Corynthia

Postby Westcott » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:59 am

The groups ive been running with lately are pretty AOE heavy so BM is a walk in the park. Generally I have been doing each portal like this:

Body pull
JOR
up wisdom
r3 Cons
JOW
and then normal JOR rotation

I pick up all the adds and dps focuses on Elite till about 50% then AOEer's do their thing. Everything dies about the same time. I mount/run to next while everyone else tops off mana. I can usually get a couple of drink ticks in before some of the portals pop the elite. I would rather be in slight mana reserve mode and keep moving. About 6 BM runs under my belt and not a single death/compliant/problem in party.
Tankadins: Keeping group members repair bills low since 2006
Westcott

Postby Beltaine » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:06 am

I've gotten pretty good at this over the weekend since I've been repping up for KoT.

First things first, make sure everyone gets a beacon, assign each group member a wave number between 13-17 to drop their beacon.

Determine who will handle adds and who will help DPS the rift lords. I usually take a melee dps for my added Rift Lord DPS and casters/ranged dps for the adds.

I ask healer if he's ready, and everyone who can AE to get ready. I mount up and pull every gator, panther, and spider in the vicinity of the portal pop zones into one big pile. Everybody oohs and ahhs at the paladin that just won't die and is fired up at this point.

I mount up and run to Medivh to get things rolling.

I ride over to the open portal toss a shield at the Rift Lord and get to tanking. I keep him about 15-20 yards from the portal and keep an eye for the adds to start coming out. I reposition myself and Rift Lord to be right in the path of the adds. They ALWAYS follow the same path. I save my consecrates to hit right when an add is pathing through. That way I pick up adds and tank everything. Healer only has to heal me. Caster/Ranged DPS can AE adds or peel them off one at a time. Melee dps helps me take down the rift lord.

In between waves, I drink as quickly as I can (usually to about 2/3 mana full) then mount up, ride back to Medivh so I can line up the pathing for the next portal.

Wash rinse repeat for each wave.

I generally judge SoC, then start with SoV because I love the DPS I get with a 5 stack. If mana gets tight and my omen doesn't show a wide margin of threat, I'll pop a man pot. If I've got a good threat lead I'll shift to SoW to gain back some mana. I don't like to drop gear to take more damage for this instance because I like my healer to keep a decent mana pool since it's basically a non-stop fight.

The two mini-bosses are tank n spank.

The last boss is easier if you have your healer keep you topped up on health rather than letting it slide and make it up with big heals. This lets you ride out the Time Stops.

Also remember you're doing this for pants, a sword, and a helm enchant because you will likely never see the tankadin gear that drops from the bosses. Stupid leather and mail is all I've seen drop.
<insert armory sig here>
<witty comment here>
Beltaine

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:47 am

While you'll still need someone killing the adds, to not overwhelm you, it's fairly easy and recommended to take on the adds. Easier on your mana and on the healer too. Works even in heroic.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics