High King Maintanking

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

High King Maintanking

Postby Ash » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:32 am

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I've been a long time reader/lurker, and for the most part, I've found all the advice I need without needing to post. However, this particular situation intrigues me..

Last week on our farm kills of HKM and Gruul, I asked if I could MT HKM, which is not a farfetched idea, as my gear is up to par if not overgearing it. I haven't ever MTed a boss pass Prince in Kara, and thought it would be fun for once, instead of the usual task of OTing. In comparison to the guild's main warrior tank, I have something like .8% less physical mitigation (Tankpoints calc) while maintaining a ~200-300 HP lead on him. I just respecced Holy for Arenas, but in my tanking gear I have 19k HP raid buffed, and a bit over 80% physical mitigation (as per tankpoints calc) while maintaining uncrushable, of course. Anyways, they said they would give it a shot, but it resulted in a failure, we wiped because I died. I kept up HS at all times, and didn't get crushed once, but the healers were complaining that I was taking too much damage compared to the warrior tank, and we then switched roles. I know warriors get a 4% mitigation bonus over us from defensive stance, but would there be a reason that the warrior would be taking significantly less damage then me? I outgear HKM by quite a bit, and I'm confident in my abilites to tank bosses.. Any help? :oops:

I know this isn't Gruul's related, but another issue I am having now (never had problems before) is on the Kara trash clearing up to Shade/Illhoof, the large Mech pats.. I keep dying, which is unusual, because they don't really hit THAT hard that 3 healers on one tank can't keep me up. However, the warrior hasnt died yet on these trash pulls. Would this be a possible issue with my healers or is it something Im doing/dont know about these pulls?

Thanks for the help! :P
Last edited by Ash on Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ash

Postby Tybalt » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:32 am

An armory link would be great here...

As for HKM, did you have a warrior with you keeping up commanding shout, demo shout and thunderclap? That alone will help a ton. Also, are you using ironshield or stoneshield pots to boost your armor? Were you dying before or after he enrages? Was your melee dps staying behind him, or could they have been causing him to parry?

We need a little more info to really help.

As for the Kara trash, three healers should be able to keep you up. We use two healers, and they can keep me up even if I don't use holy shield.
Tybalt

Postby Invisusira » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:51 am

Armory link would be massively helpful. Sounds like you may just be a little undergeared (especially if robots in kara stomp you), and that perhaps your healers a bit biased towards warriors. =) Oh, warrior's armory would be nice too.
Invisusira

Postby Ash » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:10 am

xD Sorry bout that. I'm still holy for arenas, but I'll try and log off in my tank gear, after this patch finishes downloading...
Here's mine:
http://wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xm ... h&n=Ashund

Here's the two Warriors: (both have MTd up to Lurker currently)
http://wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xm ... &n=Brathar
http://wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xm ... illiegreen

Edit: alright Armory is updated, but I'm still currently a Holy spec for arenas, so my stats are a bit better as Prot :oops:
Ash

Postby Ash » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:02 pm

Alright, I just respec'd back to prot and now my armory is updated. Any help would be appreciated!
Ash

Postby Invisusira » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:35 pm

Hmm. I... don't know what to tell you. You should be able to tank GRUUL in that setup, much less High King. You could also do all of Kara with two healers in that gear, why you die to robots I would have no idea.
Invisusira

Postby Ash » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:49 pm

Maybe my healers just don't like me :cry:

Im going to be tanking him again tonight, we'll see how it goes...
Ash

Postby Worldie » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:36 pm

Invisusira wrote:Hmm. I... don't know what to tell you. You should be able to tank GRUUL in that setup, much less High King. You could also do all of Kara with two healers in that gear, why you die to robots I would have no idea.

If healers don't precast those 10kcrit heals, it is quite easy to die. Reactive healing fails hard at mobs/bosses that hit for more than 6k and can spikedamage for 12k (HKM)...
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Ash » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:40 pm

Well, I tanked him tonight, and I only died once, but a healer accepted responsibility. I still had a problem with the pull, they wanted me to pull him with AS, and I would always pick up another add... Any way around this?
Ash

Postby Invisusira » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:43 pm

Ash wrote:Well, I tanked him tonight, and I only died once, but a healer accepted responsibility. I still had a problem with the pull, they wanted me to pull him with AS, and I would always pick up another add... Any way around this?

We usually have enough hunters to MD the main tank targets to their tanks. I get HK MD'd to me and shield him as he's incoming (but far enough away from his buddies).
Invisusira

Postby Ash » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:51 pm

We had 2 hunters in the raid, but they used the misdirects for the other adds. :roll:
Ash

Postby adese » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:36 am

If we don't have enough hunters to MD the priest, warlock, and HK, and I'm on HK, I'll generally run in and do a JoR on him and hope for the best. I'd like to be able to use AS to pull, but as you said you're going to get 2 other adds with him - which is bad to say the least.

Maybe try to get the Decapitator from Prince, and use that to pull?
adese

Postby Ash » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:26 am

Hmm, I do have a Decapitator, it's always just in my bank. I'll try and remember to bring it next time, it's just that my bags are always so full :oops:
Ash

Postby Everlight » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:36 pm

On HKM, I always shield pull, but I don't start the pull with that. We get a bubbled pally to run up and aggro everything, and then the Hunters MD all the targets to their respective victims... tanks.

I then AS my target as he's running at me, since by then he's clear of everything else.

With HKM himself, he spikes hard. Reactive healing is a really dumb idea there, he can hand out a whole six-pack of whoopass cans in the 3 sec cast time of a big heal.
Everlight

Postby Blaen99 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:01 pm

adese wrote:If we don't have enough hunters to MD the priest, warlock, and HK, and I'm on HK, I'll generally run in and do a JoR on him and hope for the best. I'd like to be able to use AS to pull, but as you said you're going to get 2 other adds with him - which is bad to say the least.

Maybe try to get the Decapitator from Prince, and use that to pull?

Decap-> AS pull here.
Blaen99

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag