The Lurker Below, Pally Tanking Viable?

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

The Lurker Below, Pally Tanking Viable?

Postby Ash » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:48 pm

Is there anything about this fight I should be wary of while MTing him, anything Paladin specific? It seems pretty straightforward, just avoiding the spouts, right? Any help is appreciated! :D
Ash

Postby fiorina » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:10 pm

Nothing special. Make sure you are tanking him in the water so you won't need 2 tanks.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Ash » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:22 pm

So do you mean tanking him in the water the whole time, or hopping in to avoid the knockback? We have never had 2 tanks on him, and I never remember seeing the tank sit in the water the whole time.
Ash

Postby Worldie » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:27 am

When i've tanked him, i used to run into the water whenever the Whirl cd was low.

There's no real reason for which a warrior should be preferred to a paladin on this fight honestly.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Mithos » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:28 am

There is actually a spot where you can stand out of the water and still not take knockbacks on the whirl but it can be very dodgy to find, but you can just happily stand in the water and eat the fire damage (swimming is fine too). Alternatively just run in when whirl is inc. Nothign special, best geared tank should be tanking him really regardless of class.
Mithos

Postby NarfJones » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:47 am

I was in for this fight for the first time tonight. We wiped time after time due to bugs. Everytime we went to the islands to tank the adds on the second submersion there would appear three gaurdians that could hit me but evade all damage. It sucked. Has anyone else seen this problem? It's no fun taking 7-8 hits within a second and a half.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby adese » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:41 am

NarfJones wrote:I was in for this fight for the first time tonight. We wiped time after time due to bugs. Everytime we went to the islands to tank the adds on the second submersion there would appear three gaurdians that could hit me but evade all damage. It sucked. Has anyone else seen this problem? It's no fun taking 7-8 hits within a second and a half.

I've noticed some slightly odd behavior from the guardians, but not that in particular.

We handle the adds by having three tanks pick up the guardians, and melee dps burns them down. The ranged dps on each island is responsible for the mobs on their island - CC one, kill the other, then kill the first.

If a healer gets a heal off just as the mobs become attackable, and before I can get a hit in, one (or more if unlucky) of the guardians will port to the island of the healer (if they aren't on the middle ring), and start hitting them. Sometimes I can taunt them and they'll port back, but it's really touch and go at that point.

Could that be what happened to you? You somehow got aggro on the guardians, and they ported to you?
adese

Postby Crusherus » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:53 am

We call out to stop all healing probably 5 seconds before the adds become 'active'. Once all 3 tanks for the guardians have their adds, we let the healers resume healing. Shouldn't create more than a 2-3 second pause in heals but it makes a huge difference when trying to pick them up. Healing aggro is spread across all mobs in combat. If Healer A on the first island tosses even the smallest heal before the tank on the second island has his mob, you can guarentee that Healer A is about to get 1-shotted. The 10 or so seconds from when Lurker submerges to when the adds swim up to the island and become 'active' is more than enough time to top off the entire raid and then do a little /dance while you wait.
Dragonmaw - US
Crusherus

Postby jere » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:03 pm

We actually keep healers off the islands all together (as well as the ranged). We keep everyone on the main island (unless something goes wrong and we need to have a hunter trap an add on the island). It seems to work out well for us and no adds porting around. We use mage sheeps and warlocks fears to keep the island adds at bay until the ranged dps can bring them down.
jere

Postby Atlas » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:57 am

What's causing your bug:
The event can bug/restart if you have an add sheeped when he dives again. You need to kill all of the adds if you want to avoid this glitch, you can't keep them CCed the whole fight.

The ranged adds cannot be tanked in our experience. They continue to multishot the group so we just don't bother.

We have one tank stand near each island to pick up the melee guys. The melee DPS rotate from one melee guy to the next until they're dead. Our ranged DPS sheep one ranged add, kill the other, help kill the melee, then kill the second ranged add.

Hope that helps!
Atlas

Postby Vanifae » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:04 pm

This fight is very pally friendly.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby ehly » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:49 pm

Atlas wrote:The event can bug/restart if you have an add sheeped when he dives again. You need to kill all of the adds if you want to avoid this glitch, you can't keep them CCed the whole fight.

The ranged adds cannot be tanked in our experience. They continue to multishot the group so we just don't bother.

We have one tank stand near each island to pick up the melee guys. The melee DPS rotate from one melee guy to the next until they're dead. Our ranged DPS sheep one ranged add, kill the other, help kill the melee, then kill the second ranged add.

Hope that helps!

While we were learning the fight we sheeped 2 of the guardians for the whole fight. We have never once had him bug. Our MT jumps out pickes up a side add, and two other tanks nab the other two long enough to build aggro, and then we let them get sheeped.

Now a days whoever is MTing it still jumps out, and a second tank drags the middle add to the MTs and we just nuke them. We do enough DPS now that we tend to have several free moments after we kill the second before boss comes back. We could kill the third, but we just leave it sheeped anyways.

The first time I tanked this fight I had a very rough time, but I think I had made some gear choices in error back then. I just recently subbed in to tank him and no problems...other than my RF falling off in the fight and I killed most ...ok all the melee.... :oops: but we still one shotted him...just a lil slower.
ehly

Postby Atlas » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:14 pm

Sheeping an add the entire fight doesn't bug it every time. When it does bug, in my experience, that's what causes it though.
Atlas

Postby NarfJones » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:55 pm

Well, picking up the guardians in the middle wasn't the problem. The issue was that 3 extra guardians appeared on each island. just standing there, dealing damage and evading. That's in addition to the three in the middle that were supposed to be there. Next night though we got him in 1 attempt. Paladin tanking these adds really is easy mode. My group was always done with it's adds first, and our dps was evenly spread out.
The first time Im just assuming it was a time thing. They had already tried quite a few times before they pulled me in. I guess it was just along the lines of a repop bug.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Eurus » Tue May 06, 2008 11:00 pm

our warrior has 3000 more HP then me but is crushible
i am uncrush with holy shield up...who should tank him? we have tried 7 time now once the warrior was crushed 2 twice and died. this is why i ask
(we would have wiped even if the warrior stayed up tho)
Bloodsail pirate and proud
Eurus

Next

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern