Remove Advertisements

[10/25] Tanking Grobbulus

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Frickit » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:20 am

Arjuna wrote:damn he is flaky in his movement...I hate him with all my heart! :P

also, it's bad when the maintank(me) can't manage to jump at thaddius... :P

get a priest to levitate you. just walk right off the edge on float down safely.
Frickit

Postby snoweagle » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:04 am

Just confirming is, the rate increases dramatically when he's below 30% and he starts spamming it at 10%. Blowing bloodlust/heroism at 10% and ignoring slimes at that point is generally the way to go.

Thanks for that!

did a comparison between 2x wws same damage but =/= length fights, and at the end injection frequencies were about 4 sec...

We've had so much trouble with this guy... We can down all other available bosses almost by facerolling but we spend night after night wiping on grobbulus >_<

Is there anything different that should be done on 10 man? it seems that at the end we've got half our raid shut down near the end.

Can't wait to get him down....
snoweagle
Maintankadonor

Postby Zeruvar » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:19 am

my suggestion on a fresh night, do construct wing first.

on our first week in naxx, after clearing spider and plague with no probs, we wiped so much on him we called it a night.

The next week, we did construct wing after doing spider wing again, and we still wiped bad on him but the attempt was more solid we actually had him down to his last 10%. Still called it since it was late already.

Next night we went for him first. Everyone had a clearer picture on movement.
Couple of things to watch out for if you havent yet
*When slimes pop, I just tanked them along with grob while dps switches to the slimes. This helps keep uptime for dps high for the melee since they dont need to move around trying to kill the slimes.
*You dont necessarily need to make him face the wall, if you walk backwards with the wall to your side, he wont be facing your raid. (Although its only happened once, he did an injection right when he was spraying his slime. Needless to say that spawned a lot of slimes. Wasnt much of a problem though)
*WATCH THE FLASH ON HIS HANDS. If it flashes you should be moving.
and move far enough so theres space in between the last time he place a poison cloud for the raid to drop clouds after an injection.
*Last and the most important one, please make sure your group knows to watch out for the injection. Make mistakes on the other things and you can still make up for it, blowing up in the middle of the raid and leaving clouds in the center is not one of them.

Realized the reason we couldnt down him the first time was because of DPS gear. Just about me, a healer and 2 dps had geared out in tons of heroic runs already while the rest just dinged 80 that week.

Good luck on the kill
Zeruvar

Postby daemonym » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:45 am

i was just abotu to make a new thread in here about this boss but then i read this. a few quick questions about what i've read so far:

-turning on walk mode, do you just constantly walk around non stop or is it slow enough fro the melee to not have issues with him? also good to know this will stop him from over estimating your position and face the raid (happened several times).

-where should the slimes be tanked at? recently we've been having the OT walk parallel to me so the melee can dps them down along with the ranged, but since they have an aura apparently this isn't such a great idea. so should the OT just pull them back a ways so the melee are safe? will be interesting to see how it plays out with the injections.

-when he drops to 10% and starts spamming the injections, should the melee still run out when injected and just try to heal through it? it seems like it comes so fast and often that almost all our dps up front are running away and end up exploding on at least 1-2 others regardless due to lack of room to accommodate 3 people at once.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Wolvar » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:14 am

It doesn't stop over-positioning but it does cut it down significantly. He usually turns at least once during the fight, sometimes twice.

I never stop walking. It's really slow.

I keep AS available to pick up the slimes and keep them on me. That way they die faster to melee dps as well. Occasionally i'll miss one and the OT will pick it up if it runs off but keeping adds on the MT till dead seems best for us.

Keep running away when injected.
Wolvar

Postby Mozen » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:24 am

First time tanking him, usually I'm on slime duty here.

Tried the walk mode kiting, everything went smoothly, he never turned away except to inject someone. Made a full circle along the grates on the floor, and he died right at the ramp.

Then rogue complains I should keep him still until he injects, then move 10yrds, repeat.

1) Fact: the rogue is a very experienced raiding MT prot warrior player.
2) During this fight no more than one slime spawned at the same time.
3) I didn't have problems with Grobb overtaking me under walk mode.

So is the rogue just not open to different ways of doing things, or does the walk mode non-stop kiting actually still sometimes result in Grobb facing the raid?
Mozen

Postby Panzerdin » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:28 am

Shouldn't matter.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Kelaan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:40 am

Constantly moving him nerfs the damage that some classes can do to him (e.g., ret paladin, DK, and our consecrate too), in that he is constantly moving out of ground-based AOE effects. However, nearly every melee class (excepting slamming warriors? Do they still do that?) can be completely mobile, so it shouldn't limit their DPS.

Keeping him moving helps limit the frequency of him miscalculating your position and running past you, turning around, and spewing the raid with slimes. Do what you find easiest. If the ex-MT rogue wants to tank it differently, he can -- both ways work.
Kelaan

Postby Frickit » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:10 am

In tenman we usually dont have a lot of melee so it really doesnt matter.

But seriously, he dies quite fast and keeping him moving removes the need to pay attention to his clouds...if that gimps some of your dps'ers than well too bad. If you want to, you can pay attention to his clouds and move him accordingly then stop and wait...but using the walk mode is still the most effective way to move him either way.

I tend to a little of both moving constantly and sometimes waiting(depending on what im paying attention to)...if ppl bitch at me for it i really dont care.
Frickit

Postby Malthrax » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:38 am

Frickit wrote:In tenman we usually dont have a lot of melee so it really doesnt matter.

But seriously, he dies quite fast and keeping him moving removes the need to pay attention to his clouds...if that gimps some of your dps'ers than well too bad. If you want to, you can pay attention to his clouds and move him accordingly then stop and wait...but using the walk mode is still the most effective way to move him either way.

I tend to a little of both moving constantly and sometimes waiting(depending on what im paying attention to)...if ppl bitch at me for it i really dont care.

I walk him backwards the whole time, too. Works out very well for everyone.

The only time I stop is once he's at about 150k health - just long enough for him to drop one last cloud as he dies. My healers are on to the game, and we get a good laugh at the newbs who can't wait 30 seconds to loot their Emblem.
Malthrax

Postby Frickit » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:50 am

lol actually the one thing thats nice about this fight when no one dies is you dont have to wait for resses to loot...if you have to wait for resses, you have to wait for clouds.
Frickit

Re: Tanking Grobbulus

Postby Pala » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:17 pm

Drbeardface wrote:So first time tanking Grobbulus yesterday, did ok, walked around the room with him. I was however having problems with his positioning. While slowly walking backwards in a straight line more often then not he would end up walking behind me, then turn around to get back infront of me where he should be, sometimes doing his slime spray thing which ended up producing more slimes then was needed.

Whats causing this? Is it lag on my end? A small glitch perhaps? Anyone else had or are currently having this issue?

It's Beardface!

:) I don't have anything else to add, just loved your forum name.
[Palatinus] & [Kury] - Earthen Ring US
Pala
Maintankadonor

Postby Barsine » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:24 pm

Zeruvar wrote:*WATCH THE FLASH ON HIS HANDS. If it flashes you should be moving.

Really? I normally just count to 15 and move him since it comes with 15-20 secs intervals. Will have to try that out next Naxx run!
Barsine

Postby Varmin » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:54 am

My theory of Grobbulus:

He is the real Safety Dance Boss. If you stop moving too long, he gets antsy and moves around you. He's only happy while you are moving and 'dancing'. Since I run with good dps, I just tap my 'S' (backwards) key repetitively and he's normally dead around halfway to the end of the gate wall.

In seriousness, I find my biggest problems when I try to over-position him and move too much. Just take baby steps and he will start to behave. I still wish blizzard didn't "fix" him, it was much easier to move him b4 =/
Varmin

Re: [10/25] Tanking Grobbulus

Postby Rónin » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:54 pm

I usually MT him where I am Persuit of Justice specced (incread moving speed). This is how the fight looks like from my point of view:
  • pop Avenging Wrath and pull him with Avengers Shield (doesn't matter where you want to begin in the room as long as you move him to the side);
  • ranged and healers group up on maximum range in the middle of the room (always on Grob's side, never in front);
  • melee group up behind him (diagonal), so that they are never in front of him and can trail him without standing in the cloud;
  • once I see his hands flashing (green signal, dispatch cloud), I start moving backwards (normal speed, not slowed down) and leave room for two additional clouds (in total I run two / more than two full circles during the fight (25 men));
  • once adds are showing up I use my AV to get initial aggro and pop consecration;
  • OT single taunt it and tanks it sideways from Grob;
  • ranged DPS burn the adds down, where melee just remains on Grobbulus.

During the fight I do NOT use the ramp to kite Grob up to create additional space. Instead I make sure that the way up is clear for anyone who receives the debuff to use that space without having to run through a cloud. Also, I do NOT tank him while having him facing the wall. Tanking him in a 90 degrees angle in relation to the raid (parallel to the wall) will be enough to prevent the slime spray from hitting other people.

Grobbulus is one of those encounters where all people have to know what they have to do. Even experienced players can wipe your whole raid if they are not paying attention. I.e. dispell debuffs, not moving while having one, will cause a wipe in most cases. On the other hand it's a good method to clear up your guild, as you can identify the ones who are not good enough to accompany you on more demanding encounters and therefore need to be kicked.

Regards,
Rónin

Previous

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon