[Ret-PvE] Enchant Boots: Icewalker vs. Greater Assault

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Postby fafhrd » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:38 am

Every time I see a new character someone is making to raid on (usually DKs) I get mad at them if they're not dranei :S

That partywide buff is sooo good for raid DPS :/

I think most of our DK's are mad at me now because they're all human and I lament it loudly ever other raid.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Elsie » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:13 pm

fafhrd wrote:Every time I see a new character someone is making to raid on (usually DKs) I get mad at them if they're not dranei :S

That partywide buff is sooo good for raid DPS :/

I think most of our DK's are mad at me now because they're all human and I lament it loudly ever other raid.

Probably because human is superior in every way for dps, but not for healing. So your DKs would be silly to be Draenei when a healer (or dps who can't be Human/dwarf) is more suited for it.
Oh, I don't doubt that the hit provides slightly more mana than the AP....I was questioning whether the mana difference would be enough to make icewalker better for one's overall dps.

My point was, when you're starting naxx you can have a lot of mana issues on fights with low aoe. So I don't really need math to know that oom paladins don't do dps. I still have problems on patchwerk and thaddius.
Elsie

Postby Dorvan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:33 pm

Elsie wrote:My point was, when you're starting naxx you can have a lot of mana issues on fights with low aoe. So I don't really need math to know that oom paladins don't do dps. I still have problems on patchwerk and thaddius.

Sure, but icewalker clearly isn't the difference between "infinite mana" and "oom 30 seconds into the fight". To capture it's difference you'd have to show how soon you'd run out of mana with 32 AP, and how much damage the extra mana from icewalker would translate into.

For example, if we assume a 4 minute fight with 8.5 seconds per judgment (non-4pT7 assumed since this is an early gear scenario), cased on your math you'd get 89.2 mana from icewalker (minus whatever you'd get from 32 AP). That's about 10% of a consecrate (which would be the first thing you dropped if you were low on mana), or one consecrate tick over the course of the fight. In other words, back of the envelope the contribution of DPS from the mana portion of icewalker is at most 1-2 DPS. To tighten that up you'd want to get an estimate for the mana contribution of 32 AP, as well as a more precise estimate of consecrate tick strength.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes