Remove Advertisements

the green hat goes the fires in the hydrant of life

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

the green hat goes the fires in the hydrant of life

Postby Whait » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:23 am

for all you elites that can take the pounding and frustrations of the ptr, ive noticed that the fights are significantly harder per mmo reviews and guilds that have completed the content on the ptr, is it going to be fun? hard but not a stonewall or has teh feel of the raids gotten more lax ?
Whait

Postby Panzerdin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:28 am

Ulduar on the PTR, outside of hard modes, is currently not that difficult.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Belloc » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:02 pm

Level 60 Naxxramas, on the PTR, was not that difficult.

:)
Belloc

Postby Panzerdin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:30 pm

I'm not claiming Ulduar will be easy on live, merely telling him how the PTRs are.
Panzerdin

Postby Grizwold » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:37 pm

Panzerdin wrote:Ulduar on the PTR, outside of hard modes, is currently not that difficult.

my guild had sarth 3 drakes 10 man and 25 man after probably about 30 attempts. We are in no way as good as the the hardcore insane guilds but I would say we are pretty good. With that being said, when we tried 10 man hodir, we had read some of the abilities in the fight but the description of the icicles and leaving the patches of snow wasnt very clear. So we went in and on attempt #3 (didnt watch any videos) we wiped at 4% to the enrage.

I assume that this is going to be the norm. The bosses are fairly easy. Think post nerf kara (not the 3.0 nerf, the one in like 2.2 or whenever it was). still DOABLE by pugs, but rough, and only if people pay attention. a 10 man with 4 people that are raiding with a spec that looks like it was completely random most likely wont succeed. A pug with 10 people that know what they are doing, will be fine.

Hardmodes on the other hand seem like they will be hard. not hard in the sense of sunwell (which was so much fun), but hard in the sense of needing a raid full of min/maxes as well as great timing to pull them off (3 minute hodir seems like it could be rough).
Grizwold

Postby guillex » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:10 pm

What is it that you're trying to do with the thread title, exactly?
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby PsiVen » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:47 pm

Uh, what?
PsiVen

Postby Whait » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:59 am

Guillex wrote:What is it that you're trying to do with the thread title, exactly?

see what folks feel about uld. to get a feel for the scale of the instance, just gettin a discussion going boss because current content is boring save sarth3d
Whait

Postby Serelynn » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:49 am

I'm pretty sure at some point Blizzard said you could drag a handful of fresh level 80 players into Ulduar and be able to complete it - just don't expect to manage any of the hard mode encounters/optional bosses like that.

I'm confident though that the hard mode challenges will be sufficiently difficult. Looking at Sarth+3 and Malygos in 6 minutes, it is pretty clear that Blizzard can tune achievements to be tough enough to block unprepared people.
Serelynn

Postby Petrus » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:42 am

I LOVE the thread title. It just seems so strangely fitting.

I haven't done Ulduar on the PTRs yet, so I'm hoping that it won't be too terribly difficult when it hits live. We'll probably skip hard modes at first to get fights down then move on from there.

And of course, as we saw with sunwell, Blizzard might not tune fights 100% perfectly if they don't get any PTR testing. However, I wouldn't expect any untested fight (save for maybe Algalon hard mode) to be as hard as I've heard pre-any-nerfs M'uru was. They've said they won't make that "mistake" again and I'm inclined to believe them.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:51 am

Serelynn wrote:I'm pretty sure at some point Blizzard said you could drag a handful of fresh level 80 players into Ulduar and be able to complete it - just don't expect to manage any of the hard mode encounters/optional bosses like that.

I'm confident though that the hard mode challenges will be sufficiently difficult. Looking at Sarth+3 and Malygos in 6 minutes, it is pretty clear that Blizzard can tune achievements to be tough enough to block unprepared people.
I know that Blizzard has said that Ulduar is tuned for players wearing Naxxramas gear, so I'm almost positive that you're wrong on the first part of your post.
Belloc

Postby Panzerdin » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:19 am

Ulduar's hard modes may be tuned for those in Naxxramas gear, rather than the fights themselves.
Panzerdin

Postby Kelaan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:44 am

I think Blizzard is optimistic about the general populace's capabilities. They've said, after all, that non-tanking-specced tanks can tank heroics. Most of us could (thoguh it might be challenging) but not the general populace. So, when I hear them say "you can do it in Heroic or Naxx10 gear ...", there are still likely (IMO) to be rough spots. (Not that that's a bad thing.)
Kelaan

Postby Seloei » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:57 am

So far, ptr 10 man bosses haven't been insanely difficult and mostly they will get buffed before they hit live. Their probably just testing out the fight mechanics and going to fine tune / increase damage etc before hitting live.
We only did 3 bosses (thorim, freya, leviathan) and those seemed to be easyish if you know what to expect.

Hopefully.. they aren't going to make it like a joke naxx was at launch on the difficulty level >.>
Seloei

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon