[10] kel thuzad ice block on OT

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby majiben » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:21 pm

Plate wearer or feral druid does the trick if you sufficiently over gear it. I've done it before and while it wasn't clean for us it wasn't hard.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby SellassieTanks » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:36 am

Macktruck wrote: I dunno what got into the guy, but one of the healers decided to stack on top of me, and about 15% he got blasted, we both died, everybody freaked out, wipe ---> !!!!!!!!!!!

Being a tank, you have very few responsibilities
1. Stay out of Red twirly clouds of doom
2. Watch for moments in which oh shit buttons may be needed
3. MAKE SURE NOBODY IS AROUND YOU. Pretty easy IMHO. If not, get bigwigs?? Lawl bro, u can't ALWAYS blame the healer.
SellassieTanks

Postby Threatco » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:29 am

Solo tanking 10-25

1 tank. 2-4 adds. And KT. Can it be done? I've done it when our OT DC'ed. From my experience and what I've read, this is the best way to do it for a number of reasons.

OT's get Ice Tombed

Theres 2 situations we are talking about here.

1.) Phase 2. When the OT's should just be chilling, avoiding void zones.
2.) Phase 3. When the OT's are tanking if the get ice tombed they are going to get torn to peices.

It's the second one that this is about. Everyone knows about the first one. But enough people have not seen, or didn't realize it happened, that OT's get ripped up in phase 3 if ice blocked.

Main tank will never be the target of ice block.

Tanks sharing add aggro

This is a wholey seperate idea also being talked about here.

If 1 tank is MCed, or dies, you don't want the adds loose in the raid. So you want another tank to be second on threat for your adds.

To share aggro you have to bring your adds near enough to the tank for them to soak up his aoe threat, but not have your self so close as to chain Ice Tomb to each other.

In 25 man the 2 off tanks can meet in the back and share aggro but keep 10 yards appart.

In 10 man the adds can be brought to kt, but the positioning is even more scary since now your playing the "stay 10 yards away" game with the main tank.

Summary

I've done all of these things, and in the end I would bet just solo tanking would make for much more consistent fights.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby majiben » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:39 am

I could have sworn you only needed to be 5 yards away.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby SellassieTanks » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:34 am

5yards seems right, @ work and can't confirm, but will somebody please do so for me?
SellassieTanks

Postby Holyfuri » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:38 am

It's ten yards, as far as I know.

I have everyone in the raid type /range and DBM brings up a range indicator which is default set to 10 yds. I have been iceblocked before with DPS just barely registering on this finder before.

This is obviously just anecdotal evidence, but it's all I got. =)
Holyfuri

Postby SellassieTanks » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:12 pm

Thanks
SellassieTanks

Postby Annadin » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:33 am

afaik it's 10 yards, or for the terminally lazy, that's the length of one of the sides of the octagon shape on the floor of the chamber.

gg Blizz for their helpful architectural features! (Maiden of Virtue's room anyone? :wink: )
Wittysigplaceholdertext.txt

Main: Annadin, Paladin
Spare Tankadin: Panadoll, Paladin
Other Alts: Jaybee, Priest - Samiam, Rogue - Shamiam, Shaman
Guild: Cotton Candy of Shadowsong Europe
Youtube: Channel
Annadin

Postby ShieldLove » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:45 am

Healing priests are good for dealing with the OT's ice tomb, if you know a compitent one. Disc priests can pop pain suppression and throw a pennance in plenty of time, and holy priests can pop guardian spirit on the tank.

Our raid generally just heals through an OT ice block. Unless you're dealing with mana explosion issues, someone should always have the mana left to pull it off.
ShieldLove

Postby Mozen » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:43 pm

Threatco wrote:2.) Phase 3. When the OT's are tanking if the get ice tombed they are going to get torn to peices.

Every time, every single time I off-tank Naxx10, this happens to me. 100%. It's like a curse. :(

Threatco wrote:Tanks sharing add aggro
In 25 man the 2 off tanks can meet in the back and share aggro but keep 10 yards appart.

If the two off-tanks are to share add aggro, they can also stay at range and just use a taunt chain to switch adds. When I taunt one from you, you taunt one from me. When taunt cooldowns are up, I'll taunt the other from you and you taunt another from me.

A few exchanges should give both of us enough threat lead over all the healers.

With prior arrangement, MT could also join in taunting the adds, just have the OTs taunt back immediately. This easily ensures the adds go to where they should be when an OT dies to ice blast.

If anyone wants to play with this, make sure to space out the taunt chain to get used to DR on taunts in 3.1, though.
Mozen

Postby Salamandra » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Zoltar wrote:
Macktruck wrote:I just solo tank the instance.

How do you do 4H? Or Gluth?

I'd tanked both Thane and Rivendare from beginning to both dead. I think we had 1 Thane mark and 3 Rivendare marks.
Salamandra

Postby Zoltar » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:47 pm

Salamandra wrote:
Zoltar wrote:
Macktruck wrote:I just solo tank the instance.

How do you do 4H? Or Gluth?

I'd tanked both Thane and Rivendare from beginning to both dead. I think we had 1 Thane mark and 3 Rivendare marks.

Are you saying you pick them up together and tank them side by side.....and you have enough DPS to burn down Thane in one debuff? Thats impressive.
Zoltar

Postby Salamandra » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:58 pm

Yeah, I just pulled Rivendare with Avengers Shield + Exorcism, then popped Avenging Wrath and tanked Thane as normal with Rivendare hitting me as well, and we used heroism immediately. Thane died ~25 seconds after I pulled. Rivendare died ~45 seconds after I pulled.
Salamandra

Postby Mishakal » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:47 pm

remm wrote:DBM has a built in range check that you can set to 10 yards. It displays everyone who's within a 10 yard radius of you, which can be very helpful on the KT fight.

I can't check while the server's down, but it's on the last (3rd?) page of the DBM options, somewhere in the middle.

You wouldn't have to be amazingly careful to do this though, iceblock chain range is only about 5 yards, ie, melee range, if the adds are between the tank and the OT, you're likely good.

Mana Detonation and Frost Blast both have a 10 yard radius, not 5

/range
/distance

Commands to show the frame with these details.
Mishakal

Postby Malthrax » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:13 am

Salamandra wrote:Yeah, I just pulled Rivendare with Avengers Shield + Exorcism, then popped Avenging Wrath and tanked Thane as normal with Rivendare hitting me as well, and we used heroism immediately. Thane died ~25 seconds after I pulled. Rivendare died ~45 seconds after I pulled.

Well, I guess... 1 tank, 1 healer, 8 DPS geared to the 9's in Naxx-25 gear could conceivable hit and sustain 31k raid DPS to drop Thane in 25 seconds.

Oh wait.. who's tanking the other two? I guess if you didn't need to be healed at all with both Thane and Rivendare beating on you, you could send the healer and 1 DPS to the back to deal with them.

And then, after Heroism fades, those 7 DPS can easily step it up to 40k DPS to kill Rivendare in 20 seconds.
Malthrax

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon