Remove Advertisements

[Priest] Caster Quest Rewards

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Priest] Caster Quest Rewards

Postby ARogers » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:32 am

Thread title moderated in accordance with sticky guidelines -Baelor

I'm new to casters. Never had one, so I'm hoping one or two of you have a couple ideas to help me.

1) Are the good caster quest items from about the same places as tank stuff when leveling? I know a lot of the dungeon quests had great tank stuff.

2) How far will some of the UK and Nexus caster gear last me? I know the ret stuff lasted me a long time.

3) Also, are there any marginal lower crafting cloth stuff? I know the cobalt stuff was great if you were just in outland greens and quest blues.

Thanks for any help!

SPriest BTW
ARogers

Postby Panzerdin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:23 am

Gear comes from the same places. As a priest, and I'm hoping a Shadow priest, your main worry is spellpower. Spirit isn't bad, but get as much Spellpower on the gear as you possibly can. UK/Nexus caster gear will probably get you to 80, although it'll be looking a little shaky at that time. Personally, I'd run some normals at 75-77 to get some more gear that'll hopefully take you into heroics.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Chunes » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:27 am

once you hit like 400 tailoring there are a couple patterns that will be upgrades (depending on what kind of gear your priest is in atm).

mine is in KZ purps still and i'm only now starting to get upgrades from tailoring at 400 skill.

most of the UK/Nex blues will last you a decent while since they are like 20iLvl above the quest reward blues from HF/BorTun respectively.

Some hit on gear is also nice, but I don't know how much cloth actually has it budgeted at entry gear level.
Chunes

Postby Kelaan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:36 am

VERY early on (e.g., deadmines), there are quest rewards which won't have things you think you want (spellpower), but will have large amounts (for their level) of things like int or spirit. These are often still upgrades, overall.

A lot of the drops in Shadowfang keep are simply awesome, though.
Kelaan

Postby ARogers » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:37 am

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I'm not a tailor, but I can farm up the mats and have someone who is craft them for me. Like I said before, I'll be in outland greens most likely, so anything will help. The 75-77 normal blues might even help me to be able to do ok in normal 80 instances at 77 or 78.

I'd love to instance to 80, but there are almost never any normal runs on our server. I do hear of 75+ healing in 80 normals, so that is a thought!
ARogers

Postby katraya » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:03 pm

I'm in sort of a similar boat. I am leveling my priest disc (just switched from shadow a few days ago) and she is currently 73. Since she was 61 when Wrath came out I skipped over all of the BC instances and hit Northrend in quest greens.

I remember looking at the Nexus quest rewards and not finding them nearly as impressive as the tanking ones had been for my pally. However, I haven't gotten around to running it yet and I can't remember if they would still be upgrades. I know I did get a nice pair of bracers and...a ring?...from UK quests that I am still wearing.

I'm currently in Dragonblight and I have found a few other nice rewards, particularly a pair of really nice blue boots from part of the Wrathgate chain. (OMG did that last night and it is just as impressive the second time around)

Depending on your level take a look at the tailored Frostweave gear (lvl70-72?) which has a nice 2c bonus of 18sp and then in the mid-70s there are a few blue crafted pieces and another green set the names of which escape me at the moment.

One thing I have found about the quest rewards is that I usually have to decide between mana and spell power. For instance with my current weapon I lost 15 spell power but gained 1,300 mana over my last one.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby ARogers » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:42 pm

Katraya wrote:I'm in sort of a similar boat. I am leveling my priest disc (just switched from shadow a few days ago) and she is currently 73. Since she was 61 when Wrath came out I skipped over all of the BC instances and hit Northrend in quest greens.

I remember looking at the Nexus quest rewards and not finding them nearly as impressive as the tanking ones had been for my pally. However, I haven't gotten around to running it yet and I can't remember if they would still be upgrades. I know I did get a nice pair of bracers and...a ring?...from UK quests that I am still wearing.

I'm currently in Dragonblight and I have found a few other nice rewards, particularly a pair of really nice blue boots from part of the Wrathgate chain. (OMG did that last night and it is just as impressive the second time around)

Depending on your level take a look at the tailored Frostweave gear (lvl70-72?) which has a nice 2c bonus of 18sp and then in the mid-70s there are a few blue crafted pieces and another green set the names of which escape me at the moment.

One thing I have found about the quest rewards is that I usually have to decide between mana and spell power. For instance with my current weapon I lost 15 spell power but gained 1,300 mana over my last one.

The whole SP vs Spirit and Int thing is still something I'm a bit shaky on. I'm 46 right now, so I do most the int/spirit thing to lower my downtime. Lots of water at 40-58 is really expensive compared to the gold you make leveling at that level.

Although, 1300 mana vs 15 SP is almost a no-brainer. I haven't tried this, but just thought of something:

I could take Maxdps.com sheets and knock out all level 80 stuff with the exception of crafted and quest items. That would effectively give me a ranking of the crafted and quest items from WOTLK. It's kinda obvious but I'm not a thinker.
ARogers

Postby Kelaan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:24 pm

The only reason I see int being compelling at lowish-levels is if you have the BoA trinket that regenerates mana based on intellect (or was it total mana?). Otherwise ... it seems like spirit (with spirit tap) and spellpower are the power stats, right? Int is never BAD, mind you, but it's just a bigger gas tank to fill. Spirit helps you fill it faster, and spellpower lets you be more efficient.
Kelaan

Postby Panzerdin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:36 pm

There are exactly three stats the matter a damn: Spirit, Spellpower and MP5. You won't find any MP5 on your gear.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby sherck » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:36 am

Gear is largely unimportant to a caster EXCEPT that you need to keep it up to your relative level. You can easily function well as you level in green "...of the Owl/Sorcerer" AH greens if you have the cash. However, quest rewards do make the run a bit cheaper and gives you something to shoot for.

There are 3 "hard points" where you want to quest for gear from where you are now: level 58-60 and entering Outlands, level 68 - 70 and entering Northrends, and level 78-80 as you build your pre-raid kit.

The reason is that the gear at the beginning of each expansion is MUCH better than the gear from the end of the previous game, not counting raid drops. Assuming that you will NOT be doing level 60 and level 70 raids and that the majority of your gear is quest rewards/AH purchases, the initial quest rewards in the expansions represent your best upgrades as you level.

[[NOTE, this is a Horde list....Alliance list may vary slightly]]

Level 58 - 60 Outlands quest rewards in HFP:
Head: Shadowbrim Travel Hat, [Q] Disrupt their Reinforcement
Neck: Felforce Medallion, [Q] The Cleansing Must be Stopped
Shoulders: Destroyer's Mantle, [Q] Natural Remedies
Back: Infiltrator's Cloak, [Q] Zeth'Gor Must Burn
Chest: Whispering Tunic. [Q] Mission: The Abyssal Shelf
Wrists: NONE (none avaiable in HFP, buy "...of the sorcerer" from AH)
Hands: Flamehandler's Gloves, [Q] Marking the Path
Waist: Foreman's Sash, [Q] The Mastermind
Legs: Wanderer's Stiched Trousers, [Q] Burn it Up...For the Horde
Feet: NONE (none available in HFP, buy "...of the sorcerer" from AH
Weapon: Totemic Staff, [Q] Administering the Salve
Wand: Survivalist's Wand, [Q] Colossal Menace
Ring: Ring of the Slain Anchorite, [Q] Source of Corruption
Ring: Signet of Aernas, [Q] Avruu's Orb
Trinket: Vengeance of the Illidari, [Q] Cruel's Intentions
Trinket: Power of the High Chief, [Q] Words of the High Chief (Quest is from quest chain in Old World Winterspring but it is the best quested Spell Power trinket until level 64/65)

Level 68 - 70 Northrends quest rewards in BT/HF:
Head: Transborean Cover, [Q] Bring ‘Em Back Alive [BT]
Neck: Iceflow Collar, [Q] Leading the Ancestors Home [BT]
Shoulders: Wizzlenob Shoulder Covers, [Q] Patching Up [BT]
Back: Shivering Healer’s Cloak, [Q] The Sub-Chieftains [BT]
Chest: High Priest Forith’s Robes, [Q] Neltharion’s Flame [BT]
Wrists: Sweltering Cuffs, [Q] The Collapse [BT]
Hands: Sweltering Handwraps, [Q] Stop the Plague [BT]
Waist: Gholamcloth Wrap, [Q] Mimicking Nature’s Call [HF]
Legs: Nymph Stockings, [Q] The Culler Cometh [BT]
Feet: Seafarer Boots, [Q] Burn in Effigy [BT]
Weapon: Staff of Purposeful Medicant, [Q] Hellscream’s Champion [BT]
Wand: Wand of the Keeper, [Q] The Nefarious Clam Master [BT]
Ring: Unsparing Band, [Q] The Artifacts of Steel Gate [HF]
Ring: Shivering Healer’s Band, [Q] Return with Bad News [BT]
Trinket: Vial of Renewal, [Q] Fallen Necropolis [BT]
Trinket: Infused Coldstone Rune, [Q] Bring down those Shields [BT]

Level 78 – 80 Pre-Raid Gear:
Don’t know, I have not research yet. Will do today (my Priest alt is only level 6) and post later.

Cheers,
sherck

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes