[Ret-PvE] 3.1 Spec

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Ret-PvE] 3.1 Spec

Postby Doogiehowser » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:48 am

Post title moderated to abide by sticky. -Baelor

So I've been trying to figure out how to spec PvE ret when 3.1 comes along.

It seems that we have so many free points after we get the necessary items.

Frankly, I'm confused. I'm like a kid in a giant candy shop with $100 and I end blowing all my money on crappy candy like Bit O' Honeys and Circus Peanuts.

Is there a consensus for what we're doing with the points? I've come up with two options that I think could work.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?paladin ... rsion=9658

It looks crappy and it could very well be crappy but I was trying to go for the Aura Mastery since the buff in 3.1 might be helpful. I guess you could swap a point for LoH too in case things got tight for you or your tank.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?paladin ... rsion=9658

This one focuses more on the prot tree with a reduction in the HoR cooldown and BoP/Hand of Freedom which again could be useful at times.

Does anyone out there have a pretty good idea on what they are going to be taking come 3.1?
Doogiehowser

Postby Baelor » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:56 am

There's also specs that involve Divine Sacrifice/Divine Guardian.

As long as you use the base of 0/5/54 +12, you really can't go wrong. The rest of your points will do nothing for your DPS.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Doogiehowser » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:01 am

Sorry about the title. When I was drafting it, the sticky wasn't up yet. :/

Sounds good. I'll mess around with the specs.

PS - Gratz on your Glory of the Raider Baelor. Nice work on getting it before 3.1.
Doogiehowser

Postby Baelor » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:20 am

Doogiehowser wrote:Sorry about the title. When I was drafting it, the sticky wasn't up yet. :/

Sounds good. I'll mess around with the specs.

PS - Gratz on your Glory of the Raider Baelor. Nice work on getting it before 3.1.

Don't worry about the title. Thanks for the grats.

As for specs, I suppose it will depend on Ulduar mechanics as to what's "best." If silences become a huge issue, then the Aura Mastery replacement will be a good boon. If tanks are getting absolutely thrashed, then speccing for Divine Sacrifice/Divine Guardian will likely be better.

I plan on speccing 0/17/54 for Divine Sacrifice/Divine Guardian unless something big changes before 3.1 goes live.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby uke » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:45 am

I honestly don't think it's worthwhile to even start to plan out a ret spec at this point in the PTR given that:

1. GC has already said our damage is too low, which means more talents/buffs incoming and
2. we have a ton of extra talent points, and nowhere to use them. Deep protection offers nothing outside of a little utility.

I can see no indication why more talents are not coming down the pike. Anything you map out now is 95% sure to change as the PTR goes on.

Patience, grasshopper.
Pally's been relegated to AH duties.

RAWR'ing it up as a bear now, with a side of boomkin.
uke

Postby Doogiehowser » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:09 am

I do remember GC saying that about the ret damage.

I'm definitely interested in seeing if they give us new talents. However, it seems like all the pally trees have had their "fluff" removed and they have given us a lot of points to spend on different talents.

Uke or Baelor, do you think we need another strike/spell of some sort or would it be better served for them to just buff the damage in the trees that we currently have?
Doogiehowser

Postby uke » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:16 am

I think Crusader Strike will likely be buffed before new strikes are given.

I don't think we need more talented attacks. I rarely have a free GCD between CS, judgement, divine storm, consecrate, and now exorcism whenever it's up. Only thing that would be better would be a 'strike' to replace DS for single targets, which it's fairly lackluster on, or maybe something to replace consecrate in a rotation.

Overall, though, I can't see NOT getting new talents down the pike. We have more points to go down prot or holy if we want, but there's nothing deeper in those trees really worth taking for PVE raiding. Current live ret has more than enough utility. I want more damage.
Pally's been relegated to AH duties.

RAWR'ing it up as a bear now, with a side of boomkin.
uke

Postby Doogiehowser » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:22 am

It sounds logical to me uke.

Especially when you start throwing in your Hammer of Wrath when it's available.

PS - I love the sig. I just completed that quest the other day. Besides all the running around, it was a very rewarding questline. Not quite as good as wrathgate, but epic in a different way.
Doogiehowser

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes