Suggestions for putting together a Gruul/Mag group?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Suggestions for putting together a Gruul/Mag group?

Postby Kelaan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:08 am

(I'm not sure if this belongs in the archive for HKM/Gruul or not.)

So, I still have not finished the pre-3.0 quests I have for these guys. I'd like to put together a group (PUG, probably, since I don't think many guildmates are interested) to go stomp Gruul, and then go stomp Magtheridon.

- How do you suggest finding players for this? Am I likely to find people in the LFG channel that will actually be decent for this?
- What's the healing load like? (How few healers do you think will work best for this?)
- Do you think DPS-geared people will be able to "tank" the summoners? (I expect so, given level differences...) What about hunter pets? ;)
- Will healers be able to heal two channeler-tanks at once?
- Do you think it will take more than 10 people? (I suspect so.)

At this point, I am looking at a raid makeup of:

Gruul/HKM:
- Tank
- Another tank for hurtful strikes & Olm (perhaps a DK for better magic resistance, or a paladin to bubble off debuffs?)
- Boomkin for Kiggler
- Warlock for felhouds
- Mage for Krosh
- 3 healers? (Will I need more?)
- as many other DPS as want to come?

Magtheridon
- 2x tanks,
- Ferals/DKs/Ret paladins who can hold a summoner until the raid kills them; some might be tank geared.
- A warlock or two for banish/fears of infernals (or could we just tank them? I expect we could.)
- A priest for SR buffs
- N healers :)
- 5+ DPS, so that some can click cubes when needed

Am I overthinking this? Suggestions and tips are welcome. I suspect we could 10-man Gruul, but Magtheridon sounds like it might be rougher. Do you think hunter pets could reliably tank the first two summoners? Would I be able to tank both summoners AND Magtheridon, if we had any left over?
Kelaan

Postby Laz » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:10 pm

I routinely tanked 2-3 summoners in TBC, I don't see why you'd need more than 1 tank for summoners. Let the MT pick up one summoner and the OT pick up the other 4.
Laz

Postby Kelaan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:28 pm

OK, good to know. Sounds like I ought tobe able to take the same from from HKM and do Mags too, then. I'm probably overestimating the need for healers, too, hehe (esp given that one of the people here 7-manned Mags with 1 healer and an SP).
Kelaan

Postby Panzerdin » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:06 pm

I'd take ten, simply to make it simpler. You don't NEED it, but you may want it. Magtheridon you ideally want a supply of people to click cubes in case something goes wrong, since the Pyroblast will hurt. Gruul you can underman to inane levels, but you probably need a minimum raid size to manage HKM.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Kelaan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:44 pm

Panzerdin wrote:You probably need a minimum raid size to manage HKM.

This was my thought, too. Maulgar seems like he doesn't hit hard, but I think I want him tanked away from others so that he doesn't gib melee. One person each for the shaman and the mage, etc etc... but my main concern is healing load, and the handling of the warlock. Do you think I could do it with 2 healers (and maybe one hybrid healing too)? (I guess a Bacon pally would make that a moot question.) I assume I need an OT and a warlock for Olm.

That makes:

Maulgar tank: someone tankish
Kiggler tank: boomkin
Mage tank: mage
Priest tank: some plate DPS, or even a rogue?
Olm: OT + Warlock
Healer (MT)
Healer (mage/priest tanks)
Healer (boomkin/warlock tanks)
DPS: As many as want to come.

Would the healing roles be able to be more consolidated? I am less worried about throughput and more about LOS/range considerations.

... and damn, I should try and find some flares on my bank alt. ;)
Kelaan

Postby Non » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:53 pm

I did it this week with some guildies. Me protpaladin, Feral druid, mage, rogue and resto shaman. Did some misstakes but killed High King anyway. I tanked Warlock, Feldogs and the shaman ( not much tanking running around lolcoiled and sheeped 90% of the time). Feral on Highking an priest and the mage tanked the mage. Would have been better if the druid tanked the shaman......

An maggy... You can 3-4man him easy. Tank everything and if you have enough dps/(kicks, CS) kill some adds before he get lose. And nuke him down.
Non

Return to General Strats