Remove Advertisements

Dual specs: Whatcha all doin?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby Sarkan-ZdC » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:11 am

Still very much unclear.

I have PvE Ret, PvE Heal of course lots of Tank Stuff, some PvP Heal stuff.

So I have LOTs of options. But maybe I just go Off-Tank (Trash) and Main-Tank. That would be funny :)
Sarkan-ZdC

Postby Sairah » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:51 am

Prot/Ret. I kiss booboos and soothe ruffled feathers all day. When I get in game, I want to KILL THINGS.

Screw healing.
Sairah

Postby Zx » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:17 pm

Yadard wrote:Prot & Ret for me. I'd rather slide naked down a banister coated in rusty barbed wire than heal as a Pally ever again.

So much this. I have passed on every extra set of holy stuff that drops because if you dont have the gear its harder to be asked to spec that way. Never Again will there be a holy version of my character.
"For no man lives long when his dreams are dead." - Gene Wolfe
Zx

Postby SellassieTanks » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:33 pm

I am going to have a Hybrid Ret/holy/prot OT spec. For those nights when i feel like sitting back and letting someone else do the tanking.

I leveled to 51 as a retribution paladin ( I was actually a non pvping twink, in that my friends who got me hooked found an unhealthy amount of joy making sure they ran me through everything imaginable for gear) i decided that our guild was going to eventually need a tank, and i respecced, never to change my spec outside of the prot tree again.

I looked to damn good in a shield, and holy plate makes me chafe :lol:
SellassieTanks

Postby Novariety » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:15 pm

prot/ret - I have holy gear but I will doubt I will ever spec holy.
ret/holy (pvp?) - not sure tho on my 2nd pally might use this guy to do all things pvp.
Resto/moonkin - most probably will spec moonkin as my 2nd spec. Might change tho if I ever get my warrior and DK to 80 and have 4 classes for tanking :o they are both 62 atm.
Novariety

Postby SellassieTanks » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:53 am

Curious....Why so many pallies?
SellassieTanks

Postby mconeone » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:55 am

So far I've heard prot/xxx <-- because I like xxx better.

What about what's best for a raid?

Is it better to increase your raid's healing output by 15% or your raid's DPS output by 6%?

I guess the simple answer is "it depends on the encounter you are stuck on" but it would be nice to get a consensus of generally what the better spec is.

Once you get hard mode on farm then obviously ret is better.

IMO, holy is the safer of the two options. If 15 dps can kill something in 60 seconds, 16 people kill it in 56.25 seconds. So a five-minute fight would get lowered by less than 20 seconds. That's somewhat significant, but if there's any case where 1 DPS death could have been prevented by you healing then it's a wash.
mconeone

Postby trellian » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:10 am

I don't know yet... I suppose it'll be prot/ret because it's better for the raid...

I think it's going to kill the game (but that's a different discussion) though.

But I don't want dual-spec personally. Mainly because I hate holy and dislike ret. I'm pretty sure I won't be MT-ing every single encounter for my guild, so i suppose i should make myself a bit more useful as mediocre ret dps instead of pathetic prot dps whenever i'm not tanking the single-tank encounters. This is ofc besides the fact that I can't really spare 1k g atm....
trellian

Postby Healyurself » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:10 pm

Well at this moment, as we are over booked on healers, i have been gaining the retri gear outta 25man's so i have been told to go Retri as my 2nd specc, that is ok in my view i can farm gold a bit easier (let alone i do that on the DK and hunter from there herb and Inscripition)

But i do not think duel specc have killed the game, ok your paying 1000g but think of it a lot of people who are new don't know the warning "remember to save 2200g for your flying mount" like the Zangmarsh one "no FP in the 1st Town" But the 1000g pay over is more to the top end raiders, (mainly cause we are rich) as most people will be like "am not paying 1000g over for that"

So Retri DPS in Uldar here i come <3
Healyurself <Genesis> 80 Protection Paladin

Upcoming Features
healyurselflive.blogspot.com and also a Signature
Healyurself

Postby Koatanga » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:04 pm

I would like to go Prot/Holy. Much will depend on the sorts of encounters we get in Uldar.

I lead our raids and generally operate as OT. Although I am geared well enough to be MT, I figure that on single-tank fights the warrior doesn't have anything else to contribute except for loldps, so I might as well stick him in front of the boss while I contribute to healing.

However, we also have good healers, so I don't know if throwing my heals into the mix really does anything. Probably going ret as off-spec would be better for the raid.

I just don't like ret. My main used to be a rogue, but I got tired of how every encounter has to be designed around some mechanic to kill off the melee.

So I rolled a prot pally. If I have to stand at melee and get gibbed, I might as well be the one getting healed.

Then the pre-wrath patch came out and OMFG did we have it sweet. We could stack avoidance and still use every offensive ability without regard for mana use.

But not for long. Ret was OP, and because they had been loldps for so long, they absolutely crowed about how OP they were. So in came the nerf bats. Again and again. And my endless mana went away.

So I resent teh ret, and I will be in no hurry to join their flavour-of-the-month-gone-sour ranks.
Koatanga

Postby yappo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:46 pm

Prot/Prot most likely. PVE both, of course.

Possibly Prot/Holy, but I doubt it.
yappo

Postby Rom » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:53 pm

Prot & Holy

Ret are the hunters of WotLK.
Rom

Postby onimarishu » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:23 pm

I'm torn. Either going to go Prot (Generic)/ Holy (Crit Build) or I'm going to go Prot (Trash/DPS)/ Prot (Boss)

Here's an example of a snazzy prot-boss build I thought up.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?paladin ... rsion=9658

Gogo LoH short cooldown.
Onimarishu - 80 Human (Tankadin/Holy)
Jaydran - 80 Space Goat Shaman (Resto/Enh)
Kaval - 6X Tauren Druid (Boomkin/Resto)
onimarishu

Postby Gorlando » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:29 pm

I am going Prot/Holy, although DPS is somewhat fun. I just feel that I am contributing more when healing, compared to DPS. I also love the fact that there is no competition for armor except other Holies :D
Gorlando

Postby Ascendant » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:28 am

protection / pve retribution

because sometimes the other tank would like to tank the boss, or better yet, the other tank is "better suited" to tank the "progression encounter".

P.S. ROFL holy nerfs
Ascendant

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents