[Ret-PvE] Gear

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Postby Sober » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:48 am

Ana wrote:what about trinkets? I mean I have the badge one, but am at a lack for which one to use in slot two? Any sugeestions, preferrably ones I can get outside of a raid.

Mirror of Truth is probably BIS. Check rawr-retadin.

As much as Titansteel Destroyer is such a good weapon, I'm sick and tired of it, wtb db/jawbone/armageddon/inevitable
Sober

Postby Kelaan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:02 am

Candiru wrote:Nobles Deck is the best one to get.
Its going to cost you ~10k gold to buy though.

On the bright side, it's absolutely awsome for a threat / BV set for tanking, too. I regret that I'm too poor to buy one.
Kelaan

Postby uke » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:04 am

Sober wrote:
Ana wrote:what about trinkets? I mean I have the badge one, but am at a lack for which one to use in slot two? Any sugeestions, preferrably ones I can get outside of a raid.

This.

Also, if you don't have a fortune for Greatness, the trinket from the last boss of H-Nexus has a crap-ton of hit rating, freeing it up in your gear. Also, Loatheb 10 has a VERY nice ret trinket, with crit and on use AP boost. Granted, both are RNG dependant, but they're not that rare.

FWIW, I'm currently running with Mirror of Truth and Loatheb's Shadow at the moment.
Pally's been relegated to AH duties.

RAWR'ing it up as a bear now, with a side of boomkin.
uke

Postby Janduin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:14 am

Sober wrote:

As much as Titansteel Destroyer is such a good weapon, I'm sick and tired of it, wtb db/jawbone/armageddon/inevitable

Mirror of Truth: 2%ish crit and 333 AP (average), right?
DMC:Greatness: 475 AP average raid buffed

I'd say DMC:Greatness is best in slot, 150ish AP > 2% crit imo.
Janduin

Postby uke » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:27 am

Janduin wrote:
Sober wrote:

Not sure. 2% crit is pretty big, IMO. If I had to choose between 150ap and 2% crit, I'm choosing the crit.

Regardless, it's a silly argument when you have 2 trinket slots for both. MoT is the way to go if you don't have the funds for Greatness, or just get both, assuming your crit% is fine (otherwise go with Loab's Shadow for another 2% crit)

uke

Postby Kvaern » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:33 am

Janduin wrote:
Sober wrote:

Mirror is 166AP average, at best.
Kvaern

Postby Dorvan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:34 am

uke wrote:Not sure. 2% crit is pretty big, IMO. If I had to choose between 150ap and 2% crit, I'm choosing the crit.

You'd be choosing wrong. 1 crit rating is about that same as 1 AP for Ret Paladins. DMC:Greatness is far and away best in slot, and unlikely to be unseated by anything in Ulduar (Str + Str proc is just ridiculously good for Ret). For the second best trinket, Fury of the Five Flights beats Mirror of Truth if you can keep the stack up, so which is better may change fight to fight.

edit -- oh, and yeah, the Mirror proc is 166 AP, not 333, I didn't even notice that part.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Ana » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:48 am

Thanks for the advice guys, picked up my Greatness card this morning, only cost me 8700g.
Ana

Postby uke » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:05 am

Dorvan wrote:
uke wrote:Not sure. 2% crit is pretty big, IMO. If I had to choose between 150ap and 2% crit, I'm choosing the crit.

You'd be choosing wrong. 1 crit rating is about that same as 1 AP for Ret Paladins. DMC:Greatness is far and away best in slot, and unlikely to be unseated by anything in Ulduar (Str + Str proc is just ridiculously good for Ret). For the second best trinket, Fury of the Five Flights beats Mirror of Truth if you can keep the stack up, so which is better may change fight to fight.

edit -- oh, and yeah, the Mirror proc is 166 AP, not 333, I didn't even notice that part.

It could also be dependant on which area you're hurting in the most.

If I had 3500ap unbuffed, but only a 25% crit chance, I'm going with crit.
If I had 35% crit chance, but 2500ap unbuffed, I'll go with AP.

Not saying you're wrong, just saying it's relative. Neither of the aforementioned trinkets are bad, just varying degrees of awesome.

My main point is that there are several options, and not every ret paladin needs to shell out 8k gold for a trinket to be competitive. If you got the gold for Greatness, then by all means go for it. If not, then don't kill yourself trying to raise the money for it, as there are other competitive options.

uke

Postby Dorvan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:20 am

uke wrote:It could also be dependant on which area you're hurting in the most.

If I had 3500ap unbuffed, but only a 25% crit chance, I'm going with crit.
If I had 35% crit chance, but 2500ap unbuffed, I'll go with AP.

Not saying you're wrong, just saying it's relative. Neither of the aforementioned trinkets are bad, just varying degrees of awesome.

My main point is that there are several options, and not every ret paladin needs to shell out 8k gold for a trinket to be competitive. If you got the gold for Greatness, then by all means go for it. If not, then don't kill yourself trying to raise the money for it, as there are other competitive options.

No, it's not dependent on your current gear. For any gear level in WotLK, 190 Str is going to beat 84 crit rating + 166 AP handily. Greatness is far and away the best trinket in game for Ret. Flight of the Five Furies and Mirror of Truth are the next best, but both distant seconds. The Greatness deck will also have a lot of staying power, it's unlikely that it will be beaten by any trinkets in Ulduar.

Now certainly it's possible to be a good Ret Pally without this trinket, but there's no getting around the fact that it's far and away the best Ret trinket in game, and certainly if you're in a competitive raiding guild it'd be expected that you have one.

Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:43 am

FotFF is also 25 man loot if it matters.

I'm in a 10 man guild, and I'm starting to amass the funds for a greatness. it is THE BEST hands down no matter what you want to debate trinket in game for ret paladins.

I'm still rocking the whetstone because I can't seem to find another trinket :(. I would kill for healbot's trinket, it just never drops when I'm there (kind of like the damn Surge Needle Ring).
Shoju

Postby Dorvan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:00 am

Shoju wrote:I'm still rocking the whetstone because I can't seem to find another trinket :(. I would kill for healbot's trinket, it just never drops when I'm there (kind of like the damn Surge Needle Ring).

Trinket options are somewhat limited outside raids, but my recommendation would be either

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37166 (if you've got room for the hit)

or

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37723 (this is what I'm using while I wait for nobles cards to drop in price a bit more)

Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby majiben » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:04 am

Crusader's locket is better than the whetstone if I remember correctly and it is from a quest in ice crown.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Shoju » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:50 pm

Dorvan wrote:
Shoju wrote:I'm still rocking the whetstone because I can't seem to find another trinket :(. I would kill for healbot's trinket, it just never drops when I'm there (kind of like the damn Surge Needle Ring).

Trinket options are somewhat limited outside raids, but my recommendation would be either

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37166 (if you've got room for the hit)

or

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37723 (this is what I'm using while I wait for nobles cards to drop in price a bit more)

Yeah, I'm stuck with going for the incisor fragment as I'm hit capped with no way to slot any out.

I'm debating heavily on just going broke and getting half a nobles deck, and then farming for gold so I can get the rest. I could get 4 cards on my server right now for about 2950, which would leave me at about 600g.... I hate being poor.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:21 pm

well, I waited a couple of hours, and I just picked up 2,3,6,7 of nobles for about 2400 gold. I guess now it's back to farming dailies and ore so I can finish off the deck.
Shoju

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes