Remove Advertisements

[Ret-PvE] Ret for a day

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Postby tankadin » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:08 pm

Baelor wrote:Most rets glyph Consecration. Most prots despise that glyph.

Yes, you should re-glyph at least one of your majors when swapping back and forth.

Actually, I've found a pretty successful glyph combo so i don't have to re-glyph.

I'm constantly respeccing to Prot or back to Ret multiple times a week and I have to say I dont get gimped one bit. I still raid tank, main tank, and am top 3-5 in my DPS in 10 or 25 man raids of all sorts.

I don't remember exactly what it is offhand, but its not complicated. I think i just leave out the Consecration glyph?

I'll post it when I get home later today.
tankadin
Maintankadonor

Postby Dorvan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:21 pm

I've spent about 90% of my time in WotLK as Ret >.>

I promise to do more tanking now that I'm done with Loremaster, and especially once 3.1 hits, really!

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:37 pm

Dorvan wrote:I promise to do more tanking now that I'm done with Loremaster, and especially once 3.1 hits, really!

I did loremaster as Prot not much level survives a BV stack ShoR.
Flex

Postby Fedaykin98 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:48 pm

Chunes wrote:I actually had rather the opposite effect on my pally. I went ret and due to terribad gear and the fact that I had not capped out any of my 2h weapon skills, I actually did less dps as ret.

D:

I never really want to go ret ever again.

That's not even a bad test, that's no test at all. Weapon skill not only limits your chance to Hit, it severely limits your chance to Crit.

I would go so far as to say that you still haven't tried Ret.
Fedaykin98

Postby majiben » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:53 pm

By having really lower weapon skill you severely increased your chances to be parried, dodged, miss, and have glancings. It would be like if a lvl 40 decided to pick a fight with lvl 80. You could barely hit them let alone hurt them.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Ancalimë » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:15 pm

I did virtually the same thing the OP did a couple nights ago and it was a blast. I hadn't facepwnd since level 62 (at which point it was tank tank tank time), and I was getting very turned on by all of those big numbers. That said, the rotation feels really loose. Hooray for auto-attacks, I guess. Also, the Martyr recoil is not fun in any way, shape, or form.
You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket.
Ancalimë, Champion of the Naaru
Ancalimë

Postby Shoju » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:19 pm

Ancalimë wrote:I did virtually the same thing the OP did a couple nights ago and it was a blast. I hadn't facepwnd since level 62 (at which point it was tank tank tank time), and I was getting very turned on by all of those big numbers. That said, the rotation feels really loose. Hooray for auto-attacks, I guess. Also, the Martyr recoil is not fun in any way, shape, or form.

Heh, I actually died to the damage from judging the other night.

We were in a heroic, the tank had dropped, the boss had 25k HP left so I just taunted and Hammered - white Swing - crusdaer stike - hammer - He was low, I was low, and I judged hoping for a crit, hoping that it would drop him, and I died and the boss died. We all laguhed that we died at the same time until I opened my combat log and saw that he didn't hit me. I judged, critted, ate the SoB backlash and died to it.

God I love being ret.
Shoju

Postby Nalyn » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:38 pm

Shoju wrote:
Ancalimë wrote:I did virtually the same thing the OP did a couple nights ago and it was a blast. I hadn't facepwnd since level 62 (at which point it was tank tank tank time), and I was getting very turned on by all of those big numbers. That said, the rotation feels really loose. Hooray for auto-attacks, I guess. Also, the Martyr recoil is not fun in any way, shape, or form.

Heh, I actually died to the damage from judging the other night.

We were in a heroic, the tank had dropped, the boss had 25k HP left so I just taunted and Hammered - white Swing - crusdaer stike - hammer - He was low, I was low, and I judged hoping for a crit, hoping that it would drop him, and I died and the boss died. We all laguhed that we died at the same time until I opened my combat log and saw that he didn't hit me. I judged, critted, ate the SoB backlash and died to it.

God I love being ret.

Reminds me of the really bright move I did a few weeks back on instructor. I was ret at the time, but we were missing a tank, so I was in prot gear, helping watch the adds when MC broke, so they didn't eat the priests. Anyway, fight goes well, we get instructor to 5%, so being ret, Martyr is on my action bar, and I switch to it. Instructor dies, so me being the bright person I am, I judge the understudy, a gigantic crit number flashs by on my screen, with a nearly equally large gigantic backlash number down the other side, and I instagib myself, much hilarity ensues from those present.
Nalyn

Postby Elsie » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:14 pm

Code: Select all
I judged, critted, ate the SoB backlash and died to it.

Best par is avoiding repair bills through backlash damage when Divine Intervention is on CD.
Elsie

Postby Sober » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:08 am

You don't lose durability with JoB recoil. I've killed myself hitting dummies and was still at 99%.
Sober

Postby majiben » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:13 am

Yup sucides don't cause durabiliy loss (please note that jumping to your death is not considered sucide as it is the ground itself coming to smite you :-P )
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby drizzy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:51 am

I levelled my warrior prot and loved it - decent dps, great survivability and mobility and generally fun. I figured that maybe a paladin would be similar too, so at level 75 or 76 after getting holy shield slam I thought I'd give it a crack. It was _bloody_ awful. Damage was low and I'd burn through mana like no tomorrow, with still no good way to handle caster mobs. WTB holy shield bash, holy spell reflect, and a decent cooldown on holy concussion blow.

Went straight back to ret after that, and killing things in about 6 seconds is just too addictive :( 3.1 can't come soon enough.
drizzy - Retired until Blizzard introduce cross-region transfers
Grilloz - Sometimes I tank, sometimes I spank
drizzy

Postby Candiru » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:23 am

I levelled prot from 35-80.

Reckoning is imba, so make sure you are always fighting more than 1 mob at all times.

Shield spike can be good too.

At 70-74 it was a bit slow, but with reckoning, SoB and a slow 1H weapon I killed the mobs pretty quickly. Bosanc and Divine plea kept my mana mostly high, and 30s CD on stun is pretty good.

75+ you have shield bash and can plow through mobs, just round up as many as you can and AoE them all down.

You need to have a different mentality as a prot paladin. As soon as you tag a mob its allready dead don't stand still and DPS, carry on collecting more mobs by running backwards (while still doing holy shield / HotR/ ShoR / JoW). use Avengers' shield to pick up groups and HoR to pick up singles. Use consecration to prevent leashing.

Once a mob has agroed to you, its going to die sooner or later. Don't worry about killing individual mobs fast, worry about maximising DPS by getting as many mobs as you can on you at once.
Candiru

Postby Kelaan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:55 am

drizzy wrote:I levelled my warrior prot and loved it.... at level 75 or 76 after getting holy shield slam I thought I'd give it a crack. It was _bloody_ awful. Damage was low and I'd burn through mana like no tomorrow, with still no good way to handle caster mobs.

While I'd love holy spell reflect, I had the oposite experience as you.

- As ret, I was much less durable when chain-pulling. (As prot, I generally Didn't Care about adds.)
- As ret, my mana regen was great, but I had no ranged pull besides Judgement. (The dragonblight quests with hitting the circling birds above the dragon bones made this VERY apparent.)
- As prot, mana needs were handled by pulling more.
- As prot, casters were a pain ... but mana supply as above noted, coupled with Avenger's shield, HoJustice, judgement, shield slam, and Hammer made pretty much everyone but healers relatively easy.
- As prot, I had a ranged pull.

I traded away being able to gib clothies for being inveencible, and only rarely regretted it. Note that I did my questing in tanking gear, not in DPS gear. I also did a fair bit of instancing after 75, so I was biased towards having better threat and survivability there. The key to leveling prot is patience, not trying to burn through mana.

edit: Candiru said it better than me with the "already dead" part. :-) Just imagine that you're an affliction warlock with some extremely long-running DoTs, and can swap targets once any one is at ~80-90%. ;)
Last edited by Kelaan on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kelaan

Postby Dorvan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:59 am

Kelaan wrote:- As ret, my mana regen was great, but I had no ranged pull besides Judgement. (The dragonblight quests with hitting the circling birds above the dragon bones made this VERY apparent.)

This is no longer an issue, due to Hand of Reck. I'm not sure why chain pulling was a problem for you (if you mean pulling one mob at a time repeatedly, not pulling 3-4 at a time). Art of War procs + DS are great for keeping your health topped off.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes