[10] Malygos - healers and frustration

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Avengeance » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:27 pm

Well, try getting your raid over 20k hp buffed (Great feasts - own stam food), kings, fortitude, motw etc. Healthstones + healing potions will make you survive without heal. Also before you get sent up into the air, make sure raid is topped up, and get priests to shield the lowest hp ppl (usually mages), evn sacred shield helps from your holadin and you (prot pala).

Keep judge of light up on the boss, some classes can dps in vortex an they can squeeze out some self healing.

The aff lock doesnt need healing, he can summon a portal at the center of room and get teleported down from vortex.

I find going 3 healers actually harder for progression, due to lack of DPS to get to later phases (dont forget, lack of DPS = more vortex to deal with = more dmg taken). On my first kills I think we used a Pala and priest in around naxx 10 gear.

Also, theres no need to stack sparks as such - you technically can do it with just 1 spark up at any 1 time, but even then, you dont actually need a DK to stack them, if you get more experienced with the fight, you find out that you can move Malygos to make the sparks run through the raid (have raid stand in center, then you as the tank move malygos on teh outer edge to opposite side of spark spawns), but anyway thats more advanced stuff.

Also speccing divine guardian will help some vortex dmg if you really need - what you do is, just before everyone is flew up into teh air, you run in range of the raid and pop divine shield (not sure if you can do in mid air as some people will be out of range).
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby Howlindawg » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:20 am

I'm not sure why people think a Holy paladin can't heal the vortex, it can be done as follows...

Beacon the 2nd priority target.
Divine Favor to guarantee a crit.
Holy Shock the 1st priority target to heal 1st and 2nd priority.
That's 2 heals.

This will proc Infusion of Light giving an instant cast Flash of Light.
So now move the beacon as required and Insta flash.
That's 4 heals.

By now Shock is off cooldown so move beacon and Holy Shock.
It may or may not Crit and give an instant flash but most pallys suitably geared for malygos will have around 50% crit chance on Holy Shock.

So that's 4 instant heals available in the first 6 seconds.
A minimum of 2 instant heals in the subsequent 6 second cycles but a 50%(ish) chance for 4.

I'm not suggesting that a Priest or Druid won't have an easier time of it but it is possible for a pally to do the job if they work their asses off.
Last edited by Howlindawg on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howlindawg

Postby Lanicus » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:03 am

Well - being a very casual guild, and one that's only two weeks old, we went for sarth+1 last night and 1 shotted it.

I feel like if we're able to do that, Maly should be of no consequence, but it would seem that there are two major factors at this point (assuming we bring 3 healers):

(1) We are melee heavy, and I'm trying to work on positioning so that the melee can stand in the middle, in stacked sparks, and still beat the hell of of Maly.

(2) Phase 3 - we have a very competent guild, but as soon as you put us on vehicles and ask us to move and use said vehicles, we're effing retarded.

At least we crushed Sarth10 and one of his boys. Maybe Maly will go down next week. <sigh>
Lanicus

Postby Derbish » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:01 am

Howlindawg wrote:I'm not sure why people think a Holy paladin can't heal the vortex

We did Maly 10 last night with 1 healer...a holy paladin. Other then some healing from JoL and a few heals from the enhancement shaman, he solo healed phases 1 & 2.

Granted, we've come a long ways. On our first kill, we couldn't do it with less then three healers.
Derbish

Postby Lanicus » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:49 am

Malygos down!!!

We did it fully in guild. Group makeup:

Healers:

disc priest
holy priest
holy paladin

DPS:

combat rogue
surv hunter
affl lock
ret paladin
blood DK
unholy DK

This was THE most satisfied I've ever been bringing down a boss. This is the guild me and a friend created and co-run, and it's only a month old. I am now a Champion of the Frozen Wastes!

Good luck to others stuck on Maly.
Lanicus

Postby Kelaan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:49 pm

Good job! :) I've found that getting spack stacking is much easier as time goes by. I'm noticeably better and more confident now than I was initially, and I still have a lot of room for improvement.

There's a console command (I forget what) which will increase your maximum camera distance, and is VERY helpful for seeing some of the side sparks. Sometimes you really need to book it to the other side of the platform, so that can be rough. During a vortex, I focus solely on identifying where the next spark is coming from, so that when I fall, I can taunt, judge, and run away from the spark.
Kelaan

Postby rickforking » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:13 pm

Lanicus wrote:Well - being a very casual guild, and one that's only two weeks old, we went for sarth+1 last night and 1 shotted it.

I feel like if we're able to do that, Maly should be of no consequence, but it would seem that there are two major factors at this point (assuming we bring 3 healers):

(1) We are melee heavy, and I'm trying to work on positioning so that the melee can stand in the middle, in stacked sparks, and still beat the hell of of Maly.

(2) Phase 3 - we have a very competent guild, but as soon as you put us on vehicles and ask us to move and use said vehicles, we're effing retarded.

At least we crushed Sarth10 and one of his boys. Maybe Maly will go down next week. <sigh>
Congratz man :)

One small piece of advice...we had an officer call for rotates in phase 3. During that time we would kill him, lose a couple of people, sometimes one shot, sometimes 2 or 3.

We switched to one of our raiders with a VASTLY superior machine when the officer missed a night. The difference was huge. Evidently, it's hard to see the spark in flight for older machines, particularly if a surge just happened or is about to happen. Now we lose no one. Just an fyi.
rickforking

Re: [10] Malygos - healers and frustration

Postby VikrumthePally » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:06 am

We did our first Maly kill last night. Healing was not the issue. If your Holy Paladin is well geared he can keep the MT up solo. Well guess that depends on if your MT is well geared. But anyhow I told our druid I will take care of myself and MT. You get the other 8. The druid loved that as he said I can easily keep up the other 8 if I don't have to ever look at the MT.

However: Main reason I am posting is to give a tip on a healing strategy your holy pally can use in vortex.

Beacon yourself, use the Divine Favor Talent, Shock someone. You've now put a considerable heal on someone b/c shock critted, you had beacon on yourself for a nice heal. Now your next FoL should be instant, due to the crit. So there is a nice heal. Now when all that has taken place your holy shock will be up again for yet another heal. If you happen to get another crit then you have yet again another heal.
VikrumthePally

Previous

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon