[H] The Old Kingdom - Jedoga Shadowseeker & Herald Volaz

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[H] The Old Kingdom - Jedoga Shadowseeker & Herald Volaz

Postby Asterial » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:11 am

A couple of weeks ago we tried Old Kingdom HC mode as a guild group.

We have a fairly small guild with 8 or 9 level 80s in various states of gearing up.

Our usual group makeup is:

Paladin tank (me)
Druid healer (at the time with 1700 heal bonus)
Paladin dps (retri with approx 1500 to 1700 dps at the time)
Hunter dps (BM spec with 1300 to 1600 dps at the time)
Shaman dps (Elemental spec with 1300 to 1600 dps at the time)

I would say that at the time our dps was a little low but due to the shamans buffs and heroism we figured we'd give it a go.

The first and second bosses we found pretty easy to do.. I'd read up on the strats and they were pretty straightforward. We hadnt intended to do the achievements so.... ok.

The 3rd boss Jedoga Shadowseeker was a pain. We wiped 3 times and gave up. The dps werent fast enough to down the sacrifice. I managed to DG and trinket through the bosses sacrifice buff but we just werent able to keep me up... when I died.. so did the group. I just think this problem was just low DPS.

The last boss (we skipped the extra) Herald Volazj was also something we didnt manage. We only tried once because we ran out of time but we all had a massive problem killing the clones. The druid clone just kept outhealing the damage. We eventually got out of it but took so long that we eventually got wiped by the boss.

Apart from increasing our dps (which it is now) and doing daft things like having our druid healer respec to feral before the instance to avoid it doing heals (like some of the strats I see on the net) does anyone have any tips on these two bosses?
Last edited by Asterial on Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Asterial

Postby guillex » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:52 am

Please refer to the Announcement, located here:

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... hp?t=17114

for subject posting guidelines, and modify your title appropriately please.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Re: [H] The Old Kingdom - Jedoga Shadowseeker & Herald V

Postby Mozen » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:04 pm

Asterial wrote:The 3rd boss Jedoga Shadowseeker was a pain. We wiped 3 times and gave up. The dps werent fast enough to down the sacrifice. I managed to DG and trinket through the bosses sacrifice buff but we just werent able to keep me up... when I died.. so did the group. I just think this problem was just low DPS.

You can do a partial-kite of this boss to wait out the sacrifice buff. PoJ helps a lot, but what really facilitate the kite is that the boss stops to cast his stormstrike (or something), and the cast is long enough for you to get off to quite a distance. You may get one or two swings when you turn the corner, that's when you trinket/DP.

I've successfully kited off the buff on two different runs where the DPS aren't doing their job. On another run a well-geared priest just told me to take the hits and she was able to keep me up alright.

You might want to try taunt ping-pong this boss with your ret paladin. Split to the two sides and have fun. Not sure if it'll work.

Oh and I seem to remember that this boss can be CC'ed using the priest undead CC. I saw it pop up for just a split second the last time. Maybe you could try fearing. Not sure of this.

Asterial wrote:The last boss (we skipped the extra) Herald Volazj was also something we didnt manage. We only tried once because we ran out of time but we all had a massive problem killing the clones. The druid clone just kept outhealing the damage. We eventually got out of it but took so long that we eventually got wiped by the boss.

DPS specced people should have absolutely no problem taking down clones. They have no excuse to die to clones. Healers can just wait for help.

As for tanks, ask your DPS to bunch up for you as the boss casts Frenzy. You'll need to have all of them in your consecrate. Once all the clones are low on health, you'll find a healing break when the healer trys to heal others up but is not at full health himself. That's when you go all-out on the healer, and use your only HoJ when he tries to heal himself.

Down the healer and the rest of the clones are easy as pie.

Sealing Justice when you take on the healer clone may also be useful. Though I've never tried.
Mozen

Postby Belloc » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:06 am

Your DPS really needs to do better. If they can't kill the sacrifice adds in time, they're not going to be able to handle Herald either.

If you have a choice, bring a class that can disarm, as she is disarmable, making the enrage much easier to deal with. I don't know that kiting works on her since 3.0.8.

To kill healers on Herald, you want to get them as low as possible and then stun them before they get off a big heal. Other classes need to CC the healer while killing it.
Belloc

Postby Kelaan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:29 am

Belloc wrote:Your DPS really needs to do better. If they can't kill the sacrifice adds in time, they're not going to be able to handle Herald either.

If you have a choice, bring a class that can disarm, as she is disarmable, making the enrage much easier to deal with

Asterial wrote:Paladin tank (me)
Druid healer (at the time with 1700 heal bonus)
Paladin dps (retri with approx 1500 to 1700 dps at the time)
Hunter dps (BM spec with 1300 to 1600 dps at the time)
Shaman dps (Elemental spec with 1300 to 1600 dps at the time)

If the hunter were MM spec, they'd be able to disarm the boss.

Other things you could try:
- Ret paladin Hand of Sacrifice the first enrage
- Shaman can pop an earth elemental, perhaps? That may not help.
- Second sacrifice, ret paladin can bubble+taunt
- Ret paladin can throw on sword+board, bubble+taunt, and you can Hand of Sacrifice him once that runs out. (and taunt it back)

This is of course in addition to your Divine Protection, which you can use for one of the enrages. As a bonus, you get an achievement! :) The down side is, your ret paladin needs to be on the ball. Plan this kind of thing out to begin with, so that they can have a plan; if youre in vent you can call out the tactics during the fight as well.

The best part is, this lets you burn cooldowns on the boss, rather than the sacrifices.
Kelaan

Postby majiben » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:22 pm

I found the enrage not to bad and three manned her with a healer and a DK. I used DP for one enrage, then a dodge and armor trinket along with SS and SoL for a second one. Wasn't to bad.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Mozen » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:06 am

Majiben wrote:I found the enrage not to bad and three manned her with a healer and a DK. I used DP for one enrage, then a dodge and armor trinket along with SS and SoL for a second one. Wasn't to bad.

What kind of gear did you and your healer have? "It wasn't too bad" for people with full 213 epics is quite different from people having only half epics.

When I was only heroic geared, I died there once and on another run almost died again.

I think I was about 24k health unbuffed back then. Dodge+parry probably more or less at 38%, block value at 950 or so. That kind of gear.
Mozen

Postby majiben » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:42 pm

Mostly Preraid epics but then again I do get best in slot preraid gear. Only naxx 25 gear was my Chest and Feet (valor boots).
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Malthrax » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:50 pm

If you can't burn down the disciple guys fast enough, don't worry. Just put some distance between yourself and where the boss lands, and wait. She'll run to you. Have the hunter use Distracting Shot just before she gets to you, and she'll run to the hunter. You taunt her back. When Distracting Shot comes off cooldown, have him hit it again. You taunt back again. Her enrage will fade before she gets back to you. Easy.

Assuming 2 paladins and a druid healer, Herald is easy. When he casts Insanity the first time, you use Divine Intervention on the druid. You die, druid goes out of combat. DPS only has to deal with 2 clones each, instead of an impossible-to-kill resto druid. Once Insanity starts and your group-mates vanish, druid breaks DI and rez's you. Second Insanity casting, your ret paladin DI's the druid. Once Insanity starts, have the druid rez the ret paladin.

Just don't forget to re-start Righteous Fury after the rez, or you'll have a helluva time holding aggro on Herald!!! (don't ask...)
Malthrax

Postby Viycktor » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:31 pm

For the herald... we don't have that one yet.

For Jedoga:
We 5-manned it, all in mix of blues/heroic epics - my gear is waaayyy better than it was then. I did exactly what Majiben did. I popped my Valor Medal (my first EoH piece) for one of the enrages and DP for the other (with a hand on LoH in case I took a real big hit). I think it turns out I avoided all of the big hits (luck) but I've done it 2-3 times total for other groups and even taking one hard hit, you can live if you're healer is ready.

I will say this: melee dps LOOK OUT for her whirlwind/cleave hit (cyclone strike is what I think it's called and it 1-shot melee easy) it's really what causes the spike tank damage too.

And I'll have to try the DI trick next time for Herald. Last time we had a druid healer, she went into cat form and was really easy to deal with. It's that damn holy priest that can be such a pain. As a policy the fury warrior and I always remove our weapons/shield... we go down really easy that way. ;)
Viycktor

Postby Kelaan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:16 am

When I tried the DI trick, our healer ended up getting poked back into combat about halfway through the rez cast. Anyone suggest a way around it? Otherwise, we'll just blow heroism before the second insanity, I think.
Kelaan

Postby elfjorc » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:13 am

Kelaan wrote:When I tried the DI trick, our healer ended up getting poked back into combat about halfway through the rez cast. Anyone suggest a way around it? Otherwise, we'll just blow heroism before the second insanity, I think.

There's only two reasons the healer may go back into combat

1) The insanity ended, aka he waited too long to let it drop
2) The boss hits 33% and does his second insanity cast while you're fighting the first insanity.

We actually had a bunch of wipes today because of the second situation cause the dots kept spawning a second set of adds while we're dealing with the first bunch (he was pretty much at 40% when he finished casting the first Insanity) and the damage became too much, so we just had me DI the healer, he waited for the second insanity adds to spawn and then let it drop and ressed me just fine. Think we had about 50 seconds to spare on the timer.
elfjorc

Postby Aubade » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:30 am

Are you using a warlock for a SS? I did it this way.

Group comp, Me, Shaman(resto) Warlock, DK, rogue

warlock SS's me at the beggining of the fight.

while 1st insanity is being cast, DI the Shaman.

res up during insanity using your SS then buff/heal up.

Heroism right after 1st insanity is over, while 2nd insanity is being cast have the DK whip out that Army of the Dead.

Bam achievement finished with 20 seconds left on the timer.

All of us were fully naxx 25 geared. with the exception of the healer who was in greens for this fight (easier to kill)
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Asterial » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:54 am

Well we havent tried again yet.. but thank you all for the replies.

Our little team has geared up rather a lot since so I doubt we'd have a problem now. Unbuffed my tank has 29k health, a shield block value of 1200 + Libram of Obstruction and about 96% avoidance... our healer has over 2000 bonus (resto druid) and our selection of DPS can all hit well over 2000 dps...

Our retri paladin respecced his talents to suit HC/10 mans instead of pvp and is now hitting 3000 dps or more... our two hunters are constantly over 2500 and our elemental shaman 2000 to 2500.

We also now have 3 death knights... one of which is the best geared in the guild and pushes over 3000 dps... the other two (one is my alt) can hit 2000 dps with self buffs..

I think its time to give this another shot.
Asterial

Re: [H] The Old Kingdom - Jedoga Shadowseeker & Herald Volaz

Postby padman » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:23 am

Hey,
I with my guildmates decided to do OK HC yesterday.
Our team:
me - pally tank 25k hp, ~~85% avoidance
2x surv hunters ~~1600dps blue geared,
1x resto shaman(13k mana) 1300spell power,
1 forst mage ~1700dps

Jedoga was a cake..just told healer to dps the add which was going to be sacrificed.
Herald - a cake also..just told everyone to switch their weapons to fishing rods while boss is casting Instanity.
Thats all...

Trash before Jedoga was the hardes part of this instance ^^
padman

Next

Return to General Strats