OOM or Half-Dead... Which?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

OOM or Half-Dead... Which?

Postby Leuthas » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:53 pm

Currently at a 70 cap, I have taken to soloing various instances ranging from any Pre-BC dungeon into BC content of about level 65-66. I have also started soloing the various 70 elites I know of in Outland. My problem is, that I seem to go OOM often, and is my only handicap - especially on single targets, even with BoS and SoW and JoW. I really like the idea of keeping health up with SoL but when I use that, my mana goes out the window, and I die. Any ideas for what I can improve?

What kills me on the really tough single targets fights is that I go OOM eventually, and can't heal myself, any way to prevent this? (oom after I mana pot, and after LoH)
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby Seraphyna » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:13 am

Unless you have a group of mobs beating on you while you're fighting them, the large and slow hitters will generally always run you down in terms of mana, as they're not hitting hard enough to generate a decent amount of mana return from BoSanc.

The only things I generally do when fighting solo is to drop some of the large mana-using moves out of my rotation, so generally I drop Consecrate, and occasionally HotR, depending on how my mana situation is looking. Apart from that, there really isn't much you can currently do.

When 3.1 hits, things will change slightly, as we're going to be able to have Divine Plea up 100% of the time, so hopefully that would offset any mana problems you'll face.

Hope that's been helpful in some way, and good luck.
Seraphyna

Postby Kelaan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:22 am

Except, he won't get Divine Plea at 70 -- which will suck. Unfortunately, capped at 70,you're likely not in the pool of customers Blizzard cares most about.
Kelaan

Postby Seraphyna » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:10 pm

Oh, yeah, I competely forgot about that. I do remember now rushing as fast as I could to lv71 just so I could get it so my time leveling would be so much easier.

Unfortunatley, if you don't have WotLK, then there's really not much else you can really do to help your mana concerns.
Seraphyna

Postby Mishakal » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:14 pm

If you are able to get a group of non-elite melee mobs also, that can help.

However then you still need to drop aoe damage so you dont kill them.
Mishakal

Postby Annadin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:27 am

Pull more.

Use Hand of Reckoning as your pull rather than the frisbee. It's much cheaper.
Don't judge on any mob that's going to die so fast as to yield you less mana than the cost of the judgement itself.

Pull more.
Wittysigplaceholdertext.txt

Main: Annadin, Paladin
Spare Tankadin: Panadoll, Paladin
Other Alts: Jaybee, Priest - Samiam, Rogue - Shamiam, Shaman
Guild: Cotton Candy of Shadowsong Europe
Youtube: Channel
Annadin

Postby Leuthas » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:02 pm

Well, I always do pull using Hand of Reckoning, rarely Avenger's shield - unless I want the target to come to me slowly (for some reason). Pulling more is always fun, but as I said, my problem is with single (or two) targets... such as Fel Reavers or instance bosses (not ?? Bosses).

Taking many mobs at once, like in Strath with pulls of about 15-20, mana is no problem; it is the single targets that eat my mana like icecream.

Also, as a note, I use the Avenger's Shield glyph (+100% dmg -2 targets) so Hand of Reckoning is obviously superior for pulling.

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby Sarutankah » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:58 pm

Just be prepared to do things the long way - you could easily use JOL/SOL and do nothing but judge and last for hours - the problem is trying to do too much dps too quickly. Paladin soloing at that level pre wrath was always about longevity (fuck garr took ages) and people would actually afk with a passive block set.

Now we have all the extra DPS we all wanna hit our abilities everytime they are up but we don't have the regen to sustain it.

So yeah - be patient and you will find you can solo pretty much anything by sheer tenacity.

Also - running heroics for badges would be good - there is no way a level 70 green is going to beat the badge helm (Faceguard of Determination) or Unwavering Legguards for getting close to unhittable (and therefore been able to dps more as self healing becomes much lower priority).
Sarutankah

Postby Leuthas » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:19 pm

Well that certainly helps, thanks. I never really did consider standing around not concerning myself about dps. It would work, and I think will allow me to start soloing some higher level stuff - I want to get up to soloing level 70 instances before I get WotLK (as I did at 60, before I got BC).

I have been saving up my bages and such, for some nicer armor; and I'll be getting BT raids together for Azzinoth's board. Also want to see if I can manage 20k hp with a dedicated set. I really need to get my defense up though, it was at 509 when I hit 70, and now it's at 480 :evil:

I must say, pre-BC stuff was a lot easier, and much more enjoyable than post-BC stuff.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby Sarutankah » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:47 pm

Kara ftw - do kara every reset with some 80's.

Get friendly with an 80 tankadin and get him to run you through Heroics :D
Sarutankah

Postby Leuthas » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:09 pm

Only 80 tank I am good friends with is an 80 warrior, but he's got no heals :( So, I have been 3-manning BC heroics lately; myself as tank. I know a very good Maintankadin, Ibramgaunt of Scarlet Crusade, but he's always in demand.

I have been trying the SoL more in heroics, and my healer actually gets bored at some points, and starts to dps :twisted: and if I pull about 6 mobs (in TK:Arc, Mech, Bot) I can keep my mana up just fine. Unfortunately I am at a stuck point - there are no single elites or bosses that I can take on in BC that aren't either impossible or I've already done..... I am working on a set to kill Ony solo, however; and I have been thinking that holy spec would work better?

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Return to General Strats