Reckoning Math

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Reckoning Math

Postby Shallira » Sun May 20, 2007 7:49 am

Since I was having issues deciding how I wanted to spec post-patch, I decided to figure out how much reckoning was actually helping me. Here's what I came up with:

First of all, while I'm fairly confident that my numbers are correct, I wouldn't mind someone else running over them. Oh, and I kinda threw this together just now, so if something needs clarification, I would like to know.

NOTE: I'm basing some of my numbers on what Arcand (hope you don't mind >.>) used in his thread on threat generation (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... .php?t=241) - including the assumptions of 50% damage reduction for the white damage DPS and a 15% attack failure.

During a reckoning proc, all damage from weapon and Seal of Righteousness is effectively doubled. Adding...

White damage (41.4 DPS from weapon and 37 DPS from attack power): [0.85*(78.4*50/100)] = 33.32 DPS = 33.32 TPS

SoR (with 161 spell damage): 0.85*[22 + (2*18-30) + 1.8*0.092*161)] = 46.46 DPS = 83.63 TPS

... 116.95 TPS for the duration of reckoning. Over the course of the reckoning, the paladin will generate around 935.6 threat. Now, since reckoning only has a 10% chance to proc (which is mitigated by total avoidance) the average TPS from reckoning is a lot smaller.

Assuming 50% avoidance and an enemy attack speed of 2.0, a paladin will, on average, see and use a reckoning proc once every 10[AttackSpeed/(1-Avoidance)] seconds (40 seconds for this equation). This means that reckoning will add an average of 935.6/40 (23.39) TPS on that enemy.

Changing the enemy attack speed to 1.5 means that the paladin will see and use a reckoning proc every 30 seconds. This changes the average TPS from reckoning to 31.19 for that enemy.

However, if the enemy attacks every 2.5 seconds, a paladin will only be getting reckoning every 50 seconds. This reduces the average TPS from reckoning to 18.71.
Shallira

Postby Livyan » Sun May 20, 2007 1:43 pm

This is scary, I was sitting on the subway on my way home, thinking about Reckoning and actual additional threat.. And what do you know? Someone comes along and does the math for me! :lol:

So.. Once you reach enough Avoidance, maybe you can drop Reckoning and take something obscure like WE for a generally higher threat gen?
(Should that be in another topic, or a completely new one? What do I know, I'm the math-nub!)
Livyan

Postby Maulininis » Sun May 20, 2007 5:49 pm

*primate style head scratch* (i didnt do maths in year 12)

So, reckoning appears somewhat useless, yes. woldnt it be cool if we could wangle a build that gave us divine int and imp SoR and 1h weapon~?
Maulininis

Postby Lore » Sun May 20, 2007 6:01 pm

I've always though of reckoning as more of a solo/pvp ability for when I've got my 2hander on >.> It's got a decent side-effect for tanking, but nothing really incredible.

That said, the threat advantage disappears quickly once you get out of Kara, and any extra threat is never a bad thing.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Shallira » Sun May 20, 2007 6:07 pm

Well, keep in mind that those numbers are assuming 161 spell damage. Even with nothing else, there's still another 190 from judgement of the crusader. It's definitely worth it. *grins*
Shallira

Postby Kvaern » Sun May 20, 2007 8:47 pm

You need to factor in that you will more likely than not recieve damage from several sources, few bosses just stand there and do nothing more than melee you every 2 secs.
Kvaern

Postby Questioner » Mon May 21, 2007 6:35 am

For comparison, the new 1H spec will generate 5% more tps over the course of an entire fight. Should you maintain 600 tps on a target before 1H spec, that's additional 30tps.

Sor adds ~83.63 tps, with imp SoR adding 15%, or 12.5tps on the SoR portion, as well as 68 tps from JoR equating to 10.2 JoR threat. Totalling 22.7tps.

Interestingly, I thought the numbers from Reckoning made it seem week, but when examining its comparable options, it seems pretty comparable.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Fridmarr » Tue May 22, 2007 9:47 am

Kvaern wrote:You need to factor in that you will more likely than not recieve damage from several sources, few bosses just stand there and do nothing more than melee you every 2 secs.

Another complication is that reckoning can proc while it is already up and simply refresh the timer and charges, which ultimately wastes charges.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Threnn » Thu May 24, 2007 4:54 pm

If wisdom is judged or sealed, or light, you'll see more incoming mana/health as well.

Or if you want to see a pack of SoV charges pop up in short order(which will quickly boost your sustained threat at a relatively cheap price).

Reckoning gives you a window of opportunity to change the pace or shore up a weakness. And when you bring it to bear against more than one foe at the same time, you increase it's utility by leaps.

I've tanked the first two burn-down adds plus Moroes at the same time. The offtank warrior was supposed to pick up Moroes, but couldn't do it(whoops!). So I just held them all, kept HS up and watched Reckoning/Redoubt continue to refresh.

It worked so good, I'd try it again(especially after 2.1).
Threnn

Postby Everlight » Thu May 24, 2007 7:23 pm

Threnn wrote:The offtank warrior was supposed to pick up Moroes, but couldn't do it(whoops!). So I just held them all, kept HS up and watched Reckoning/Redoubt continue to refresh.

tbh, this is always my biggest problem in multi-mob pulls with an offtank/trap. If they don't get the mob before it gets to hit me, it's stuck to me like poo to a blanket :P
Everlight

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations