Remove Advertisements

[H] Gun'Drak

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Thornir » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:41 am

Discus wrote:You don't need to do any of this. As I said earlier in thread, simply kill 2nd boss first then drag him into the area where the second boss was. The snake adds that cast snake wrap don't come that far and it becomes by far the easiest heroic boss fight in the game.

Thornir wrote:Snakes follow you to that room now.
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

my 2 cents

Postby MadVrukyl » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:41 am

Just to add, how I do it every time and works .

First snake boss : clear the boss room and the next room with trash.

have your DPS stand on farthest hill on right in the NEXT room.
Pull boss and bring him in that room and tank him in middle on a small hill before the one your dps stands.

Concecrate has to be up all the time. and keep taunting. too many snakes to control. if you have mage blizzard can help or DK can also can help keep them grounded.
use cancelaura Snake Wrap macro as well
--------------

Last boss: best spot to tank him I found in the corner on left. when you enter the room and kill the 2 rhino trash, behind them a corner. pull him and stand back to the wall.

i did it like this twice , no one got charged or bounced back too far.

As others said earlier when in Rhino form DPS has to run to you. they can stand on boss or tank just like in kara huntsman.
MadVrukyl

Postby Mozen » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:52 pm

I got an suggestion about the Drakkari Colossus today in a PUG. Hunter said that with paladins, we can chain Hammer of Justice on the closest elemental before they merge into the colossus at the beginning of the fight.

I ran in, HoJ, and found that while other elementals merged, the colossus indeed waits for the stunned one. The ret in our group didn't chain stun, and it merged at about 30%. Took the fight as per usual from there.

With above average dps and chain stunning (say 2k*3 dps) maybe it's doable?

Not that this boss needs anything like this, but it sounds like something fun.
Mozen

Postby Cearn » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:35 am

Mozen wrote:I got an suggestion about the Drakkari Colossus today in a PUG. Hunter said that with paladins, we can chain Hammer of Justice on the closest elemental before they merge into the colossus at the beginning of the fight.

I ran in, HoJ, and found that while other elementals merged, the colossus indeed waits for the stunned one. The ret in our group didn't chain stun, and it merged at about 30%. Took the fight as per usual from there.

With above average dps and chain stunning (say 2k*3 dps) maybe it's doable?

Not that this boss needs anything like this, but it sounds like something fun.

Given that's possible they probably had a timed achievment in mind for this Boss. Are they stunnable by all means?
Cearn

Postby Mozen » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:08 am

No idea. Ran another PUG today and tried for it, and after my detailed explanation plus arranging the order to HoJ, the ret and holy didn't even charge up with me. They must have thought I was just speaking to myself.

No go today. I couldn't bring myself to wipe a group intentionally just so we could try it out.

I'd love to find out if it's susceptible to slows as well, though.

As for an achievement, I think not. This borders on an exploit, I'd say. Not as bad as the snakes that couldn't swim, but most probably not something they had in mind for this fight.

Still it'd be a good way to skip a fight that has no difficulty anyway. Shaves a few minutes off the run.
Mozen

Postby Kelaan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:04 am

Can you clarify what happens?

- With the little elemental stunned, is the boss damageable? Is the little guy damageable?
- What advantage does this offer? Boss doesn't hit back so you don't need a healer, or something?
Kelaan

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 pm

When I did Gundrak recently, Drakkari Colossus was one of the two bosses I was wiping on (Slad'ran was the other). A lot of people here seem to note it as an easy encounter.

I've read on guides and things that you should kite the elemental in a circle, but in practice I found it impossible to do - I was running with two Hunters and a SPriest for dps (so no melee), and every few seconds the elemental would charge at one of them, making it hard to control its movement. Wound up there'd be pools scattered everywhere, so it got hard for the dps to avoid them.

I suspect that my party members were moving further than they needed to to get out of the pools, and thus not dpsing as much as they could have been, but I don't think even then that the fight should have been as hard for us as it was. Are there other ways to make this go more smoothly (given that I'll usually be running with the same group comp)?
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby daemonym » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:46 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:When I did Gundrak recently, Drakkari Colossus was one of the two bosses I was wiping on (Slad'ran was the other). A lot of people here seem to note it as an easy encounter.

I've read on guides and things that you should kite the elemental in a circle, but in practice I found it impossible to do - I was running with two Hunters and a SPriest for dps (so no melee), and every few seconds the elemental would charge at one of them, making it hard to control its movement. Wound up there'd be pools scattered everywhere, so it got hard for the dps to avoid them.

I suspect that my party members were moving further than they needed to to get out of the pools, and thus not dpsing as much as they could have been, but I don't think even then that the fight should have been as hard for us as it was. Are there other ways to make this go more smoothly (given that I'll usually be running with the same group comp)?

if you have no melee you just treat him like grobbulous in naxx, you only move him when there's a pool of bad stuff on you. your dps are the ones that need to be aware of where they are, not you. and if you're running with only ranged there's zero excuse for them to make more than 2 ticks of the purple slime. they get charged, they step to the side, continue dps.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Mozen » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:37 am

Kelaan wrote:Can you clarify what happens?

- With the little elemental stunned, is the boss damageable? Is the little guy damageable?
- What advantage does this offer? Boss doesn't hit back so you don't need a healer, or something?

Normally, you run in, and the elementals merge into the colossus, the colossus starts hitting you and the fight goes on from there.

BUT.

The elementals are targetable right from the start, before they merge into the colossus. Plus the small elementals each have very low health and they don't fight back like their bigger counterparts later on. So what you do is...

1) Run up and stun one of the elementals, DPS open fire at same time on the elemental
2) The other elementals will proceed to merge into the colossus
3) The colossus doesn't move, it has to wait for ALL elementals to merge
- I didn't try to target the colossus
4) You continue to damage the stunned elemental, colossus still sits there doing nothing
5) If you can chain stun or have incredible DPS, maybe you can kill that one little elemental before it recovers from the stun.
5a) The elemental ignores everyone and will proceed to merge to colossus if you don't keep it stunned, so dps don't wait for threat here!
6) No idea what will happen if you achieve (5) above.

With just my HoJ, we get it down to 30%-40%. So add in another stun and any above-average group should have no trouble killing it.

A) PUG rumour: if you manage to do (5), the boss fight is over there and you get your loot, since the loot drops off the elemental anyway, not the colossus.

So yes, if (A) is correct and you manage to do (5), you don't need a healer on that boss. You'd need one to even get to that boss, though, unless you're thinking of a rogue-party and sneak up there...

Important Note: this is a rumour. If you succeed in doing it and get no loot, or if the boss then bugs on you, you are entirely responsible for your own actions. 8)

KysenMurrin wrote:every few seconds the elemental would charge at one of them, making it hard to control its movement

Does it run a cast first before charging? Because that's unavoidable, and it will come back to you after the charge, if you have a firm threat lead to compensate for the continued dps during the charge. But if there's no cast time, then you're probably just not firm on threat.

As far as I remember, there's a threat wipe on phase change, so tell them to stop dps and wait for you to pick up.

For me, the only time anyone dies on this fight is if they don't avoid the poison puddles. I don't pull in a circle cause the puddles appear elsewhere, too, not just near the tank.

I basically tank it like I'm doing the Heigan dance. Only stopping for two to four GCDs at a time, then move to an empty area. Keeps the melee on their toes so they don't ignore the puddles. Apart from the casted charge, the elemental sticks to me like a goblin-engineered sticker.
Mozen

Postby Belloc » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:53 pm

Best way to test that, I'd think, would be to try it on non-heroic. I'd hate to waste a heroic clear (especially when I need to Share the Love) on a bugged boss.
Belloc

Postby tinven » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:57 am

I was in a group the other night that completed the 5 unique impales achievement for the last boss. Thought I would go ahead and share our strategy.

Basically it comes down to this: the charge has a minimum range.

The way we did it was to DPS the boss down to 20% and hold off all DPS there. The ranged people would stay at ranged and wait to get impaled. Once someone got impaled they had to stack on top of the tank. As the people stacked on the tank are inside the minimum range, they will not be chosen as targets for impale.

When everyone else has gotten impaled, we had the DK taunt the boss for a second as I ran to range. The rest of the group stayed stacked on the DK so that they were inside the minimum range. I, being the only target at range, was impaled immediately. We then proceeded to down him.

3 things make this a little difficult:
a) you need some form of plate DPS with a taunt button
-----Note: it might be possible to use an Earth Elemental here, or some Warlock or hunter pet to taunt for just long enough to get you out of range. Just need to not have aggro.
b) it can get pretty healing intensive when clothies get impaled
c) the knockback can cause some problems for stacking. Just need to be quick on your feet.

Edit: was trying to indent the Note a little bit. Apparently I fail at formatting.
tinven

Previous

Return to General Strats