Remove Advertisements

Q: [H] HoS

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Q: [H] HoS

Postby yappo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Our group went straight from HoL, which we more or less massacred, including our "shitpile" -tactics on Loken. "We have Lightwell, he'll never know what hit him." Even had to check rep-gain halfway through to confirm we ran HoL on hc.

On HoS:
Maiden? Well, it's alone in a room, and it yields emblems, so it's probably a boss.

Big earth golem boss? Ok, shitpile was a bad idea. Wipe. Back again. "Watch out for his special... oh, he died..."

Then EIGHT wipes in a row. Well, two of them with surviving members but with a very, very dead NPC dwarf. We're getting overrun, and yes, laser got us once, but we learned to move. Tried tanking in the stairs, tanking above stairs, starting tanking in stairs and running like mad to dwarf when we're getting overrun, and, finally, tanking at dwarf.

Desperately need data on this fight :D

Besides, I don't see an up-to-date guide on HoS here anyway.
yappo

Postby Neara » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:24 pm

pick everything up, burn it down and always remember the basic rule of basic rules: get out of the f*ckin fire!

nothin more to that fight
Neara

Postby Annadin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:10 am

Here's how I've always done it:

* Tank on stairs - kinda bottom step-ish, where it's at its narrowest
* Keep consecration running there
* Use LoS to the side to bring casters into the room
* Remember that some of the melee mobs come stacked up in 3s
* Keep out of the pewpew laser ("Do you expect me to talk?" "No Mr Bronzebeard, I expect you do die!" Bronzefinger, 1964)
* Make sure everyone knows it's a mobile fight

Others' mileages may vary. Never had a problem this way *even* in PuGs :wink:
Wittysigplaceholdertext.txt

Main: Annadin, Paladin
Spare Tankadin: Panadoll, Paladin
Other Alts: Jaybee, Priest - Samiam, Rogue - Shamiam, Shaman
Guild: Cotton Candy of Shadowsong Europe
Youtube: Channel
Annadin

Postby yappo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:47 am

Annadin wrote:Others' mileages may vary. Never had a problem this way *even* in PuGs :wink:

Thanks for the help. Will try.

Oh, and btw, this is a guild-run, much worse. Trust me, we wipe in a highly coordinated fashion...
yappo

Postby Playdoh » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:59 am

The mobs are very set.

3 melee always from the left.

middle spits stuff at you, no biggie.

After bronzebeard talks again you get 3 melee from the left and up to 3 non-elite casters from the right. I pick up melee with concecrate, and try to AS casters. DPS on casters then melee.

Run from purple balls.

Bronzebeard talks again you get 3 melee from the left, 3 non-elite casters from the right and the big golem guy. I pick up the melee and golem, and do what is available for the casters. DPS still burns casters 1st, it doesn't matter who has aggro on them.

Run from purple balls and fire beam.

Ideally all melee targets will be dead when the next wave comes. That seems pretty easy for most groups to do until the golems come. At that point i still just concentrate on picking up the melee from the left and the golems that come.

If I see a caster on my healer I will try to do something about it.

I have a hard time trying to worry about picking something up that can be dead before I even get to them.

I do try to save my AS for the casters, but in good groups they are usually dead before i can do anything about them.

I hope that run down helps some.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby Auroris » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:48 pm

I rarely run Heroic HOS on my paladin, but when I do this thing isn't very hard.

When I tank, I am at the middle of the stairs. I usually tank with Seal of Wisdom/Judgement of Wisdom, just cause I have enough threat to overcompensate for the other dps' threat. Usually pick everything up, casters I just Hammer and tank where they stand. Consecrate generally takes up that entire stair area, so nothing should be running by unless the healer has more global aggro than your consecrate can put out. Which is the case alot.

Hammer one group, shield the other. Profit, really.

Its a 5min Gauntlet, and nothing you can do to speed it up. Cleanse all debuffs, avoid fire, and sacred shield the bubble. It is pretty much win.
"Someday the Glory will Fade and only Memories will remain."
Auroris

Postby Mozen » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:04 am

Ran this for the first time, was also over-ran by the gauntlet. Luckily(?) I am an Ardent Defender, and with cool-downs and trinkets, lasted for quite a while after the healer hit the floor. HP was in the red when the last golem fell. (27.5k unbuffed, 93% with holy shield.)

Tankadin, DK, DK, Mage, Priest.

The mage was consistently doing 3500+ DPS, and consistently going all out on mobs I haven't even touched. This caused me a lot of trouble when I get stunned. I had to taunt just about every single group of mobs off the mage.

The priest was taking charge, putting me on the left-hand side of the doorway to grab melee adds, two DKs on the right-hand side to grab casters. But one of the DKs had a habit of gripping away one of my melee mob, contributing further to the chaos.

Problems indeed do start to show when the golem appears. It didn't make things easy when that was exactly the time we got a laser landing on our melee group.

Mage open fire early -> mobs run for mage -> tank runs in to grab (since both taunts are on CD) -> no orderly AOE so adds last longer -> new adds come in and aggros to healer -> tank has even less time to establish threat -> chaos.

Just from this one time, I'd think "order" is the order of the day here. Make sure everyone knows that you will get stunned when adds appear. Especially well-geared high-calibre damage dealers will cause more pain than good by making the tank run around trying to re-gain aggro.

Due to the mage's threat, I decided to use SoV. Had to pop a runed mana pot half-way.

I don't even know what kind of damage I was taking with all the chaos.

For those of you who find this easy, do you also find it always ending up in chaos and there's no guarantee that you'll last through it? Or do you get to a point where you're waiting for adds to come even towards the end of the event?
Mozen

Postby Belloc » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:51 am

I always place myself at the top of the stairs, to the right side. The rest of the group waits at the bottom of the stairs until mobs arrive.

When the melee-trio comes in, I avenger shield them. They'll charge the closest person to them (me), and be stuck on me until they die. When casters are coming, I lay down a consecration and a HotR if I feel like it. Other than that, I completely ignore them.

Avenger's shield will only be available for every other melee pack, so make sure to use HotR on them when it's down. Again, the rest of the group has to be behind you, or else they will get charged.

When golems start arriving, keep doing what you're doing. Consecration will pick up casters and golems, but you'll definitely want to Judge/ShoR the golems to get them to stick on you.

If you keep this pattern up, it shouldn't get too hard until the very end. You'll either have it under control, or things will descend into chaos immediately before the event ends and you win anyway. Just make sure to move away from the mobs when the beam goes to kill them :P

Good luck!
Belloc

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:06 am

This fight is all about intelligent CD management and placement.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Mozen » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:08 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:This fight is all about intelligent CD management and placement.

Ran it again today, indeed this is true.

Tanking on the stairs instead of the top in the doorway seems better. This time I had no problems keeping everything on me and nobody was even in danger of dying (but that may have more to do with the healer doing his magic behind the scenes). I even found out that with good timing, I was able to give the melee trio a HotR just as they stun me, establishing good threat.

Interestingly, I had AS up for every group of casters.

What are the purple balls, though? I still can't find them. The fire from the laser beam is hard to miss, but I just don't see any purple balls. :?:
Mozen

Postby Belloc » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:22 pm

Mozen wrote:What are the purple balls, though? I still can't find them. The fire from the laser beam is hard to miss, but I just don't see any purple balls. :?:

If I am not mistaken, it puts a shadow dot on everyone around it when it hits. It's usually dispelled before you really notice it.
Belloc

Postby Cearn » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:33 am

Belloc wrote:
Mozen wrote:What are the purple balls, though? I still can't find them. The fire from the laser beam is hard to miss, but I just don't see any purple balls. :?:

If I am not mistaken, it puts a shadow dot on everyone around it when it hits. It's usually dispelled before you really notice it.

It's a +150% Damage Taken Debuff or something similar. Does initial Damage too.
Cearn

Postby Mozen » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:24 am

Ah, I see. Although I ran it again today and still didn't notice it.

Today we had some really good DPS in the party. Mage, Balance, Ret, all three pulls 2.5-3k dps consistently. This gauntlet became so easy it was unbelievable. Chaos? What chaos! I was still waiting for the chaos to come when it just ended.

For CD management, laying down consecrate immediately when the melee trio appears seems to be perfect timing. Cons->HotR, works every time. No unnecessary consecrate spamming, so mana was no issue even with SoV up.

Asking AOE to start each time after the HotR sound effect seem to work well, too.
Mozen

Return to General Strats