Remove Advertisements

Kara - Some advice please

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Kara - Some advice please

Postby Korath » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:23 am

Hey guys,

Right where to start... I'm hoping to start getting runs in the odd Kara runs the guild do once a week, my main problem is they dont have any tankadin and I honestly dont think leaders/most members have much faith in them :( I'm going to try and get in as an off-tank to start wtih and want to show my worth.

Gear is : http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... d&n=Korath

I've read through alot of strats and everything (know kara very well as resto shammy), I think I more or less have it down what I need to do on the bosses but im not sure if im missing anything. Anyone got any recommendations on what to do with trash, how to show off how a tankadin is good etc within my gear level.

Any recommendations on quick easy upgrades before I go? I'm working towards the SV cloak and SH trinket, need to get +6 stats on chest and replace my +9's with +12's.

cheers
Korath.

edit: The heroic libram is on my list, only just got revered with Sha'tar.
Korath

Postby Tats » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:45 am

id say the most common thing you can do starting out to impress people is tank midnight/huntsman together. for us, its not a big deal, but they view it as something amazing, and will probably get you some bonus points.
Tats

Postby Korath » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:51 am

Possible in my gear? I'm not quiet un-curshable atm (4% short i think?) - cant get armory from work.
Korath

Postby lusisia » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:09 am

Korath wrote:Possible in my gear? I'm not quiet un-curshable atm (4% short i think?) - cant get armory from work.

I did it last night totally by mistake. I was assigned to Midnight and was doing fine. There happened to be a consecrate up when Attumen popped and after 2 taunts, my guildmate warrior finally said "Lusi is tanking them both. Keep him up"

I ended up dying because of a charge on a healer who mistimed something but right when I died, they joined up so it wasn't a big loss for the group.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Tats » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:46 am

ya, you dont really need mega stats to tank them both at the same time. cap defense, get close to uncrushable. uncrushability doesnt come into play much until later in kara.
Tats

Postby Juliette » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:57 pm

Get the Timewarden Leggings seeing as you are revered with KoT.
Juliette

Postby Lamassu » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:39 pm

Tats wrote:ya, you dont really need mega stats to tank them both at the same time. cap defense, get close to uncrushable. uncrushability doesnt come into play much until later in kara.

Not true. you can become Uncrushable with pre Kara gear.
List of items is really strict. These items are the most wanted in game cause are the best blues for paly tanks.

Do some research in web and you will find what you need.
Lamassu

Postby rodos » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:17 am

Lamassu wrote:
Tats wrote:ya, you dont really need mega stats to tank them both at the same time. cap defense, get close to uncrushable. uncrushability doesnt come into play much until later in kara.

List of items is really strict. These items are the most wanted in game cause are the best blues for paly tanks.

He's not saying you can't, just that it's not really required.

I actually have a gear set which makes me uncrushable without the tanking libram OR any points in deflection with only one Kara epic (Iron Gauntlets of the Maiden). I don't even have some of the super-avoidance quest rewards like Flesh Beast's Metal Greaves or Nexus-Guard's Pauldrons. Uncrushable pre-Kara isn't that hard. Uncrushable and 11k+ HP is a little more challenging, but quite possible.
rodos

Postby Sunspear » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:39 am

Lamassu wrote:

i think the main issue that although you can become uncrushable, it is not really needed at the start of the Karazhan (490 defense definetly is though). It really starts to matter at Romulo who can do big crushes if he is allowed to get buffed. At least up to Opera, you should be fine, even with 4% crushability. (man, i tanked Prince succesfully with 1 % crushability i found out in hindsight ;-), although we did have one over-geared shaman healer )
Your healers (which need to be on their toes at Moroes anyway, that fight is all about control/dps at the same time) just need to be at their game. Don't let the whole uncrushability scare you off, experience and alterness bring you a long way ;-)
Sunspear

Postby Korath » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:41 am

Well took abit longer than expected but had my 1st kara run last night with the nub/alt group... gota start somewhere :)

Me as OT and slightly better geared warrior as MT. While groups were getting sorted and everyone moving to kara and even buffing to start people kept asking "so whos the tanks?!" "WTF we only have 1 tank" "Oi druid are you tanking (he was resto)" etc etc.

We didnt have priest so straight into it for me, got a bit worried when the 1st horsey resisted, missed, resisted my spells but looks like that was just a fluke, the rest were fine.

Only after 10min everyone want loving a tankadin, warrior was taking 1 stable person and I was taking the 3+ others :) Didnt want me tanking both attunsment and midnight tho :(

More love was found for me when clearing the moroes AOE trash and even on Moroes where I was tanking 3 of the 4 mobs (Arms warrior trapped, HPriest, SPriest and Retri Pally on me)

All in all we didnt get that far as we only got 4 bosses down but it was fun and atleast 9 people in the guild now believe tankadins are viable :D

edit: Oh and 4 bosses down and nothing but cloth and dps/healing rings & trinkets :(

.::. Karak 70 Resto Shaman .::.
.::. Sajuuk 70 Destro Warlock .::.
.::. Bentusi 60 Ret Paladin .::.
Korath

Postby Korath » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:50 am

Just thinking back on things I got a couple questions...

When OT and on Maiden what do you guys do? I felt pretty useless when we did it as I was just standing there cleansing a few times and throwing the odd heal (in tanking gear). Should i take my healing gear along and just spot heal/clease or is there something better i could be doing. Also the same situation on Big Bad Wolf... felt my only use there was keeping BoW on the mob and BoP the 1st red riding hood :P

I did notice I would OOM if I wasnt tanking 3+ trash which made me happy (if i wasnt running out of mana when against 1 mob i would question if i should even be there as it means i would be taking stupid dmg)

Oh and my sheild broke just after maiden, this was mainly due to a couple deaths but most of my other gear was only at 50%... I noticed the same when I did SH and AOE tanked most of it, before last boss my sheild was already gone... This normal? How do you get around it, carry a 2nd sheild?

Korath

Postby Worldie » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:59 am

I usually repair whenever i can, its not uncommon for me to end with my shield at 40-50% when we get to chess where i can repair.

On Maiden, if i'm not tanking (i hate tanking her), i just sit out of the room and go afk, or i cleanse if other healers cant.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Base » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:00 am

If you are off tank on maiden just chuck on your healing gear and cleanse/FoL - it'll be more use than your Prot DPS.

As for the shield issue - that's only a problem for me when AOE tanking. Just make sure that you repair before starting kara and there should be no problems.

Although I was once grinding the supplicants at the black temple - was about my 3rd clear and I died in about the first 5 seconds... I thought wtf - then realised that my shield was at 0% dura - Doh!
Base

Postby lusisia » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:28 am

Korath wrote:Just thinking back on things I got a couple questions...

When OT and on Maiden what do you guys do? I felt pretty useless when we did it as I was just standing there cleansing a few times and throwing the odd heal (in tanking gear). Should i take my healing gear along and just spot heal/clease or is there something better i could be doing. Also the same situation on Big Bad Wolf... felt my only use there was keeping BoW on the mob and BoP the 1st red riding hood :P

I did notice I would OOM if I wasnt tanking 3+ trash which made me happy (if i wasnt running out of mana when against 1 mob i would question if i should even be there as it means i would be taking stupid dmg)

Oh and my sheild broke just after maiden, this was mainly due to a couple deaths but most of my other gear was only at 50%... I noticed the same when I did SH and AOE tanked most of it, before last boss my sheild was already gone... This normal? How do you get around it, carry a 2nd sheild?

I always bring a full heal set to the raid. Yeah it limits my bag space but there are some fights where I might actually be better healing. At least this was true initially when I was still crushable and we were getting to prince.

Basically here's how my last full Kara run went before I got uncrush:

AoE tank trash (except for the Ice Block Skeletons)
Midnight/Attument - Double tank
Moroes and one add - (usually prot warrior) - Double tank
Maiden - Heal (Keep BoSac on the MT to break repentance)
BBW - Heal (In the 5 times I've run Kara, he is the only Opera event we've had)
Curator - Primary Orb tank (rogue) healer and off heal for others
Shade - DPS and Slow cleanser ;)
Illhoof - Kilrekk and imps tank (my first time in there we one-shot him. DPS was amazing on the chains)
Chess - Pawn =P
Prince - Healer (5 wipes due to the shittiest infernal placement I have ever seen)

I wasn't a solid enough tank for us to do Netherspite and I've not yet seen Nightbane.

Now that I've hit uncrush and sit at around 13k raid buffed, I'm going to be MT for all of Kara except Maiden. Why take the risk of threat issues causing a wipe when we have a bear along?

So last night I go in as my first run as uncrush:

Midnight/Attument - double tank
Moroes + 2 adds - one shot with no deaths
Maiden - Heal
BBW (AGAIN) - MT

We had one wipe on BBW that really was out of our control. He threw LRR on someone RIGHT at the start and I it just went downhill from there. *I* got LRRH at least 5 times after that. We got him down to 2% with nothing but a shammie healer and his Earth Ele ;) Came back and oneshot him with no deaths. By that point it was end of raid time for us.

Based on the previous week's performance, we should hit Prince tomorrow night and I'll be tanking him using the disengage trick in P2. We'll probably skip Illhoof this week since we didn't get to Curator last night.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Korath » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:24 am

Thought I would update this...

Been in Kara a few times this week and its was good fun. I got boots of elusion, Kings defender and legs off Curator. (1Heroic mec and I get Sun Eater, 1 kara and I get KD).

This time at maiden I brought my healing gear with me and did my share of healing and cleasing. Got Wizard of Oz which was a pain as we didnt have any mages or locks but we swapped out someone for a firemage and dropped happily... Me tanking Tinman & Tito. Firemage on Strawman (shammy throwing the odd fireshock) and taking roar 1st, tito 2nd, dorothy 3rd, tinman and then crone.

Trash before the events and after was all easy, I would be the 1st tank (instant DPS) while the bear took the 2nd mob and was left to get aggro.

We struggled a couple times on shade, had a couple people moving in flame wreath and some bad timing with Adds at same time as blizzard / sheep / FW.

Prince on the other hand was a bitch. I got owned very quickly :( I was replaced with a T4/5 Warrior and they still didndt do it... a space came open and i came back and stuck my healing gear on, started the attempt and 1 healer got trapped outside the event (nub) and a hunter died at start and we got him to 1%!! GRRR!!

Reset today so think we are starting again

Korath

Next

Return to Karazhan