[10] Malygos - healers and frustration

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Malygos - healers and frustration

Postby Lanicus » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:57 pm

My newly created guild attempted Malygos for the first time on Saturday night and it was a valiant effort, but after several attempts we had only gotten him into P2 once.

After reading through your conquests it's frustrating to not get him down - we tried for 2 solid hours before going to school Naxx.

Group Comp: Myself (prot paladin), 2 DKs (unholy and blood specs) as the spark pullers, 2 rogues (assassin and combat), ret pally, affl lock, surv hunter, holy priest and holy paladin as heals.

It seemed like the big weakness (aside from the DKs struggling to stack sparks in the center) were the heals - esp. with regards to the vortex. We chose to only take 2 healers because that's how we had cleared Naxx. Course, one of the two healers we had previously cleared Naxx with was a druid, which is infinitely useful as a vortex healer in EoE. As we know a paladin has 1 instant heal on a cooldown and a priest has a couple of small HoTs but because we're so spread out the priest was not as effective.

I guess my question is - is it worth dropping a DPS and adding in a 3rd healer? The other challenge if we do that is that since I just started the guild my healers consist of a holy pally and 2 holy priests. No druids for the HoTs in the vortex. I could pull a druid in from outside for this, but I'd feel dirty.

Thoughts?

I desperately need to get Maly down to help with the guild recruitment. Any help is very very much appreciated.
Lanicus

Postby Lanicus » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:11 pm

Not sure if this is relevant, but here's my armory, just in case.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Lanicus
Lanicus

Postby skolor » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:13 pm

I'm not sure, but we're in the same spot, and after ~2 hours of wiping on Friday (with a 2 healer setup) we decided to just call it a week. This weekend we will be going in with 3 healers, so I think that would be the way to go.
My blog of my experiences leveling a tankadin.
skolor

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:26 pm

Go to 3 healers, it makes a big difference. The healing on this fight is far more intensive than anything in Naxx.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Lanicus » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:34 pm

Fridmarr - would I be fine with 2 holy priests and a holy paladin or would you recommend me going out of guild for a druid so we can get heals in during the vortex?
Lanicus

Postby amh » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:41 pm

Lanicus wrote:Fridmarr - would I be fine with 2 holy priests and a holy paladin or would you recommend me going out of guild for a druid so we can get heals in during the vortex?

Two holy priests, that should be four * CoH, right? That plus a holy shock to get the tank up before the breath should be plenty. Prayer of Mending is also overpowered for pretty much the entire fight :)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Lanicus wrote:Fridmarr - would I be fine with 2 holy priests and a holy paladin or would you recommend me going out of guild for a druid so we can get heals in during the vortex?
Yes, that should be fine. Priests have tools to use during the vortex as well.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Holyfuri » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:02 am

I agree that 3 healers is the way to go there. To go with 2 healers you really need some VERY well geared healers, and ideally no paladin healers with at least one healer being a druid.Otherwise the vortex's tend to kill people.
Holyfuri

Postby Arkhen » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:42 am

If you are going with 2 healers (one of them being a holy paladin) you could both spec into DG, doing so makes the vortex damage non lethal, just remember to have either a cancel aura macro or ready to dismiss it when you land to aggro asap.
Arkhen

Postby daemonym » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:06 am

with 2 priests you should be good. coh pm and renew are great during it. also speccing into DG is great if you can. a holy pally can hit shock with a beacon up to help who ever is lowest or top you off after landing. if you're just starting i highly recommend 3 healers as 3 in naxx is overkill on all but like 2 fights and even then it's not a huge thing. so long ad you can stack sparks and have decent dps to end phase 1 relatively fast you'll be good.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Blitzago » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:16 pm

I suggest going with 3 healers for a while till the healers get the hang of it.

As a pally I have healed it with a druid just fine, im able to get 2 shocks off with beacon and usually a FoL or 2 depending on if both crit, but im currently specced into DG which I blow the first vortex, we usually have him near 50 before the next vortex. So very few times we do 2 vortex's.
Blitzago

Postby Seloei » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:23 am

2 healers is for the time when everyone is already geared up with almost all possible loot in the game, or you know they have nearly godlike healing powers. It is possible to survive the vortex without any heals IF you are at full health before it happens, if you have 20k+ health, or was it 25k+?

3 healers is a must for progression since it makes the fight a hell of a lot easier. We did it the first time with holy pala, resto druid, resto shaman and the vortex occasionaly got someone on the first few tries. Now... we had 2x holy paladins last week and noone died on the vortex tho they did get to 5% health.

Also, bringing 3 healers for p2 makes the chances of someone getting "instashotted" a bit higher, due to less ranged dps taking out the scions.

All in all, you can do this with 3x holy paladins if they know what they are doing and can keep everyone topped off. Otherwise, the best healing "group" for this fight would be disc priest + holy priest + resto druid. Disc mainly on you.
Seloei

Postby samsara » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:49 am

Seloei wrote:2 healers is for the time when everyone is already geared up with almost all possible loot in the game, or you know they have nearly godlike healing powers. It is possible to survive the vortex without any heals IF you are at full health before it happens, if you have 20k+ health, or was it 25k+?

Disagree. I did it yesterday with a pug.

Setup:

Tanks:
Protpala Me (naxx25/maly25)
DK (Blues, Greens, a bit naxx10 ) <- this night was his malygos firstkill

(fresh 80, friend of mine, continued the pug from naxx 10 bevore) he helped a bit in positioning the sparks (he positioned 2 into malygos as he never did it before :) )

Healers:
Druid (naxx25/maly25)
Priest naxx10 <- this night was his malygos firstkill)

DD:
Demo-Warlock (naxx25/maly25)

2 * Retripala , one was fresh 80 the other one in pvp-blues and a bit naxx 10 <- this night was malygos firstkill for both of them

1 * Mage , fresh 80, greens and blues <- this night was his malygos firstkill

1 * Rogue, Naxx10 + full t7 (not t7,5) <- this night was his malygos firstkill

1 * Boomkin, a bit naxx 25 but mostly naxx10 <- this night was his malygos firstkill

We made it firsttry in about 9:50 minutes or so

i probably have to admint that 4 people where alts and allready knows the fight quite good.

Anyway, a tree makes the vortexphase a lot easier! I don't think that for progression 3 healers are bether as you may don't have enough dmg to do it in time.
samsara

Postby Lanicus » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:34 am

Three healers are a must for my little guild. We just started the guild 2 weeks ago and we still don't have a druid healer. Our healers include 2 holy priests and a holy paladin. One of the priests and the Paladin are geared to the balls and capable of outputting 3k+ HPS with minimal overheal. Since the paladin can only help marginally in the vortex, we were still getting raped. I PUGed in a resto druid friend and we blasted through to P3 fairly fast with no deaths.

Unfortunately, once the raid was on the drakes, they fell apart, most claiming that they weren't able to tell if they were moving or not when we tried to move as a group. They fell apart and dropped like flies. We haven't tried again since.

I want to try again tonight - but they're dead set on getting Sarth+drake because we already know we have the DPS to burn through that rather fast. Ugh - the challenges of a casual raiding guild.
Lanicus

Postby Blitzago » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:08 pm

I'd suggest getting malygos down before sarth + drakes.
Blitzago

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon