A Nice Threat Build

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

A Nice Threat Build

Postby Protadin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:20 pm

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZ0xVAfuMtcIRhoxf0xbc

I've been using the above build for a while now and I love it. I have a kings spec as well but our ret pally always specs into kings for raids. Guess that will all end in 3.1 hopefully. Well I just wanted to share but I know some of you number crunchers or w/e will tear it apart.
80 - 0/51/20 - Korgath
Protadin

Postby Valerius » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:06 pm

I don't know if it has been proven beyond a shadow of doubt that Conviction is better overall for threat than SotP, but taking neither JotJ nor AD in a tanking build just seems wrong to me.

JotJ has been discussed to death around here, so I won't do it. But not taking anything in AD basically flips the bird to the best passive OhSh*t! button in the game. And before you tell me, that AD "only mitigates 1-2% of total damage", I'll say that you are exactly right. It just happens to be the 1-2% that can actually kill you.

Generally, you'll probably do insane amounts of threat and some pretty good DPS until the boss kills you because he got a lucky string of shots that your healer couldn't heal through and the OT will hopefully pick him up.
Valerius

Postby Protadin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:45 pm

Ya I'm sorry the title should have clarified this is a threat build...But I see your point and it's correct but currently Naxx is a joke and we haven't wiped in 10 or 25 man. I will definately be changing my spec come uldar this was a reply to the other "Threat Build" post. More or less a fun build if you want to see some crazy TPS numbers :)
80 - 0/51/20 - Korgath
Protadin

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:48 pm

Valerius wrote:I don't know if it has been proven beyond a shadow of doubt that Conviction is better overall for threat than SotP, but taking neither JotJ nor AD in a tanking build just seems wrong to me.

JotJ has been discussed to death around here, so I won't do it. But not taking anything in AD basically flips the bird to the best passive OhSh*t! button in the game. And before you tell me, that AD "only mitigates 1-2% of total damage", I'll say that you are exactly right. It just happens to be the 1-2% that can actually kill you.

Generally, you'll probably do insane amounts of threat and some pretty good DPS until the boss kills you because he got a lucky string of shots that your healer couldn't heal through and the OT will hopefully pick him up.

SotP is slightly higher, but he needs to spend points on that tier to get to crusade anyhow.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Salamandra » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:12 pm

If you're going to skip talents which are actually good for mitigating damage for poor threat talents, you might as well also skip not nearly as necessary talents (Divine Guardian and Imp. Hammer of Justice) for an even poorer threat talent (Reckoning).
Salamandra

Postby Kynes » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:41 pm

Valerius wrote:I don't know if it has been proven beyond a shadow of doubt that Conviction is better overall for threat than SotP, but taking neither JotJ nor AD in a tanking build just seems wrong to me.

Conviction is slightly inferior without crusade I believe.

That being said; dodging JotJ and AD are, in my opinion, are always bad ideas. They are too important and so extremely useful in every situation to warrent skipping for, in this case, an extra 3% damage.
Kynes of the Nightfall - Darkspear
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ar&n=Kynes

Eversteel used to tank uphill both ways in the snow.
Kynes

Postby Kaienn » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 am

i guess i'm spolied by the healers on my server and such, but every group, guild raid, pug, etc.. i've ran with has had healers that keep me topped off no matter what. I'm not saying it's viable to skip AD, but if you trust your healers, try the build out.

I've been using a 0/51/20 build for a while now and love it..
Kaienn

Postby Vrimmel » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:03 pm

I'm using a similar build, only 3 points in reckoning instead of Improved HoJ. I've tanked most of naxx 25 without any problems.
Vrimmel

Return to Basic Training & Talents