Tanking Gluth adds??

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Elsie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:23 am

In the 25, a holy paladin, elemental shaman, and I play ring around the rosie the whole fight. They run the adds through consecrate and, sometimes, I taunt.
Elsie

Postby skolor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:00 pm

Majiben wrote:While unlikely you do open yourself up to a instant death scenario while doing this. Essentially in a very short window every zombie's attack connects causing massive burst. Unlikely but possible.

There's only 16 (max) adds on heroic. On normal, there is no possible way to die to this (don't think it makes it easy, you take a beating and will need a dedicated healer). With my gear which isn't great, and isn't stacked for BV (Hoping to add at least 200-300 by this weekend, for at least 1500 raid buffed) I was taking 1000-1500 damage on the connects. With 16 adds, that's like taking 24k damage if all of them connect all at once.

In other words, you will likely be taking around 50-75% of the damage of the Hateful Strike soaker for Patchwerk. Make sure your healers understand that, and that you have incoming heals of about the same magnitude.

Saturday/Sunday we'll be doing it this way again. Will have parses for you all to see early next week.
My blog of my experiences leveling a tankadin.
skolor

Postby Anvar » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:14 am

So, I tanked the adds with 1 healer(holy priest) on regular (had a DK in dps gear taunting for 6-8 seconds every third stack to get debuff off gluth tank) and my whole group agreed that on 10 man it is much easier to do it this way. We bring 3 healers, but with 98 stacks and ~50% pure avoidance my healer wasn't even having to spam heal on 10 man so I ended up only having 1 healer and we downed before second decimate and having the zombies all very tightly grouped up and me being able to stun them all for first two seconds after decimate made sure not a singe one got eaten. Gonna try this on Heroic after reset and let you all know how it turns out. I'll have a parse if our guy gets around to posting it sometime this century.
Anvar

Postby Isetnefret » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:13 pm

We were gearing up some new players, and I switched my now Holy Paladin back to prot for just this fight, but here's my WWS:

http://wowwebstats.com/2vr5bswmezfds?a=x1a833a0#buffs

82 stacks of the debuff, 3-4 minute fight, only 600 DTPS.

I would Holy Wrath, run away, when that stun broke, I'd let them get to me, tank them until Holy Wrath cooldown, pop it again and repeat.

You could just stand there, but why? I tried bubble, it doesn't cleanse.

I only had to pop trinkets once, and obviously, with the healing I required, "had to" is pretty strong language.

I did use LoH during the fight, which is a tattle-tale so you can see I only had 28k buffed.

Code: Select all
Landed   Dot   Crit   Glanc   Crush   All Miss   Miss   Resist   Block   Parry   Dodge   Other
Nb    60               84   16      16   12   32   8
%    42 %               58.3 %   11.1 %      11.1 %   8.3 %   22.2 %   5.6 %
Avg    2012            
Max    23370            
Mitigation resisted    nb      %      total      total%   
Mitigation blocked    nb   32   %   22.2 %   total   49732   total%   29.2 %
Mitigation absorbed    nb   4   %   2.8 %   total   3569   total%   2.9 %
Mitigation total %   30.6 %

I they had nearly a 60% miss rate on me, and I switched to holy before getting any Naxx tank drops. I'm also wearing holy glyphs.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby Serelynn » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:09 pm

I used to kite them around, but now that we kill Gluth 5-10 seconds before the first Decimate, I've gotten a bit lazy and I just tank them since everything will be dead soon enough.
Serelynn

Postby pedal2000 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:50 pm

So, my guild is less l33t but we took two decimates to get them down.

I'm 99% Certain the stacks stop at 99, and the healers were able to keep me up (we had 3 inc. one weak one)

So it is possible. Just stun, kite a bit, have some fun
pedal2000

Postby Nalyn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:19 am

While doable, I don't really know why you would, besides just saying that you can do it, and have done it. I have a lot more fun running around kiting adds, throwing shields taunts and exorcisms at loose zombies, than I do staring at yet another AE pack of mobs.

It's something a little different, why turn it into more of the same?
Nalyn

Postby Serelynn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:21 am

Because it only lasts 50 seconds. :( Gluth isn't even a minute man/undead hamster.
Serelynn

Postby Zoltar » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:30 pm

In 25s I kite them all, consecrate, frisbee, exorcism, hand of righteousness and holy wrath and usually have 2 healers on me. One of which is often a shaman dropping totems to help slow them.

In 10s I usually get a mage to kite them. Nova, lance, blink. One mage in particular really loves this job..... and does it exceptionally well
Zoltar

Postby Doddin » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:40 am

pedal2000 wrote:I'm 99% Certain the stacks stop at 99, and the healers were able to keep me up (we had 3 inc. one weak one)

yea it only stacks to 99

make sure you let the debuff wear off before you start the next pull or you will get smacked really really hard
Doddin

Postby sherck » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:28 am

Hmmm...our last 25-man, we had a Prot Pally kiting, me (Holy) healing him and 2 Ret off-healing and all four of us Holy Wrathing when off CD...

Seemed to work well with just the 4 of us and the other 21 on boss.

Was a quick fight with only 1 Decimate just before he went down.

I would be a bit concerned about him just standing and tanking, however.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Kelaan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:40 am

amh wrote:Blocking still applies the debuff.

It does. I end the fight with ~99 debuffs, every single time. But ... with a healer for each of us, it tends not to be a big deal. I also can bubble/cleanse the debuffs at the first Decimate (and we tend not to take so long as to get to two). I feel less-endangered tanking half of the adds than I do being one of the boss tanks, even.

I like kiting them on 10-man, esp now that I have another ranged pickup, but in 25, I'm resigned to doing it the healing-intensive way. I don't even have 2k BV, more like 1700, and it seems to work fine. (An earthbind totem helps minimize the potential burst damage, also, as I was able to mini-kite last night ... but it's never been necessary. Raid leader wants to let our two excess tanks be useful. :)

I'll see if I can get someone in my guild to post a WWS of last night's Gluth kill.
Kelaan

Postby majiben » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:16 pm

You can't bubble out of the debuff. Also why are you bringing 4 tanks?
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Threatco » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:11 am

I kite adds in 10 and 25 man.

I don't need a dedicated healer.

Doing it solo is not a problem with PoJ, you out run them without shaman/hunter snare help.

I just round them up then when I need to turn around and run other way, I either holy wrath, or I take 2-3 hits.

End the fight with very few stacks if any. If it is a pug, it doesent matter if it's 3-4 decimates, it doesent cost much mana and you basicly just do. Kiting Gluth adds I won't say is "easy" but is soloable.

If they give you a decent hunter or shaman though, it will be mundane.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby skolor » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:35 am

So, my parse got borked for last night when I tanked them. I didn't get the successful kill of him, although managed to get two of our attempts (We had a really bad night. 3 of our regulars got saved "on accident" and we had to take 4 new people. It wasn't pretty).

In attempt 1: I took 63 hits from the zombies in 91 seconds. The average hit was 1069.
In attempt 2: I took 136 hits in 169 seconds. The average hit was 1716.

I was, however, told by the healer that is was much more difficult to keep me up this time. I'm not entirely sure what the cause of that was, I thought I had gotten a few gear upgrades. I can only think it had to do with some gear switches I made.
My blog of my experiences leveling a tankadin.
skolor

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon