Remove Advertisements

[10] kel thuzad ice block on OT

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] kel thuzad ice block on OT

Postby daemonym » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:48 pm

i was wondering how you all deal with it when it happens. wiped 4 times in a row because the OT would be blocked and gibbed immediately. i pick them up but i don't last too long holding them along with kel. we're a progression guild so we don't out gear it well to say the least.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Zoltar » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:36 pm

Purely luck in my experience.
Zoltar

Postby Wolvar » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:43 pm

You should be able to solo tank him on normal, that's how we did our progression kill. Didn't even bring an OT.

Hell on our progression heroic I solo tanked him and all 4 adds from 25% cuz stupid ice block always kills the OT's.
Wolvar

Postby Avengeance » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:08 pm

Solo tanking KT10 is far easier than using OT, purely because from a healers point of view, healing one tank is easier than healing 2. If you use OT, unless your healers have super fast reactions, the 2 adds will tear him apart in around 2 seconds due to 0 avoidance while iceblocked.

If your dps is weak (thus longer uptime of adds), just use cds and trinkets in like last 20% of boss - but you shouldnt need it unless your dpsers are doing 1k dps or something - the adds wont hit hard enough to be a threat to the MT befoer KT dies.
Avengeance

Postby Zoltar » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:35 pm

Wolvar wrote:Hell on our progression heroic I solo tanked him and all 4 adds from 25% cuz stupid ice block always kills the OT's.

You must have access to some incredible heals & DPS. We use 2 OTs and tank the bugs close to each other but not so close as to risk a double iceblock. If one OT drops from iceblock the other can pick up the adds.
Zoltar

Postby majiben » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:55 pm

Zoltar wrote:
Wolvar wrote:Hell on our progression heroic I solo tanked him and all 4 adds from 25% cuz stupid ice block always kills the OT's.
You must have access to some incredible heals & DPS. We use 2 OTs and tank the bugs close to each other but not so close as to risk a double iceblock. If one OT drops from iceblock the other can pick up the adds.
Well that's your issue. You had about 1/3rd the dps that the group with 1 tank does. You take 50% longer to kill the boss in phase 3 with 2 OTs versus none.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby majorwoo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:12 am

Majiben wrote:
Zoltar wrote:
Well that's your issue. You had about 1/3rd the dps that the group with 1 tank does. You take 50% longer to kill the boss in phase 3 with 2 OTs versus none.

4 adds = 25 man
2 adds = 10 man

Thread title is 10 man, so I'd assume that's what we'd like to discuss, where a single OT (or lack of) is fine.
25 man with kt + 4 adds would be rolling the dice IMO.
Despite all my rage, I am still just a Paladin Tank.
majorwoo

Postby Oryann » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:36 am

We had that problem in a pug I ran at some point so I just told the OT to tank them in my consecrate. He died and they just went right onto me instead of wiping the raid.
Oryann

Postby majorwoo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:41 am

Oryann wrote:We had that problem in a pug I ran at some point so I just told the OT to tank them in my consecrate. He died and they just went right onto me instead of wiping the raid.

With careful positioning this would work, otherwise he could get you iceblocked.
Despite all my rage, I am still just a Paladin Tank.
majorwoo

Postby Nalyn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:14 am

majorwoo wrote:
Oryann wrote:We had that problem in a pug I ran at some point so I just told the OT to tank them in my consecrate. He died and they just went right onto me instead of wiping the raid.

With careful positioning this would work, otherwise he could get you iceblocked.

You wouldn't have to be amazingly careful to do this though, iceblock chain range is only about 5 yards, ie, melee range, if the adds are between the tank and the OT, you're likely good.

On a lightly different note, this is basically how we do the 25 man, the two OTs pick up the adds, then drag them across each other, in the back of the raid, and procede to spam AE's, so they both get agro on all the adds, in case one gets iceblocked or MC'ed.
Nalyn

Postby remm » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:18 am

DBM has a built in range check that you can set to 10 yards. It displays everyone who's within a 10 yard radius of you, which can be very helpful on the KT fight.

I can't check while the server's down, but it's on the last (3rd?) page of the DBM options, somewhere in the middle.

You wouldn't have to be amazingly careful to do this though, iceblock chain range is only about 5 yards, ie, melee range, if the adds are between the tank and the OT, you're likely good.

Mana Detonation and Frost Blast both have a 10 yard radius, not 5
remm

Postby Naether » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:06 am

My advice would be for the OT to chill by one of the exits that the adds come out of. Sure, you'll lose maybe 1.2k dps (super leet), but it keeps those chain ice blocks out of the question.

I personally have OTed all 4 adds in 25, wasn't a very good idea, but with all the dps we had it was fast as hell.

EDIT: Oh, and if you're running with a basic setup: 2 tanks, 5 dps, 3 healers, having a healer on the OT, one on the MT and one doing raid heals for ice block, plus the tank healers helping with it when they can, healing through the ice blocks should be alright if you have solid healers. (Paladin, Druid, Shaman was pretty effective - Beacon of light on OT, druid on OT, Shaman chain healing through ice)
Naether

Postby Zoltar » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:05 pm

Majiben wrote:
Zoltar wrote:

I never said we had an issue. We kill him in 25s every week. That's just the way we do it in 25 man. 10's are guild pugged and they can do it however they want. Personally in my 10s we still use an OT for the 2 bugs as we have 2 tanks there anyway. :)
Zoltar

Postby Macktruck » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:20 am

I just solo tank the instance. And we have a well-geared DK that's specced dps and brings his tank gear. It's especially useful for when we 8-man naxx tonight.

Though, doing it this way either way definitely makes for a MUCH faster clear. You really gotta be on top of trash tanking, and sometimes on dk wing things get hairy, but just make sure to bring an industrial razor.

Solo tank KT + 2 adds. It means YOU won't get Ice Blocked. Just have to make sure your melee as well as other people stay the hell away from you. I dunno what got into the guy, but one of the healers decided to stack on top of me, and about 15% he got blasted, we both died, everybody freaked out, wipe ---> !!!!!!!!!!!
Macktruck

Postby Zoltar » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:58 pm

Macktruck wrote:I just solo tank the instance.

How do you do 4H? Or Gluth?
Zoltar

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon