[H] Old Kingdom achievements

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[H] Old Kingdom achievements

Postby Frickit » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:03 pm

Respect your elders has changed and I couldnt get it done. I used to kite him to the entrance. I tried having an offtank be at max distance in the bosses room but he still went immune.

For the last boss is there anything else to do but power through and kill shadow adds asap? Apparently he was immune to curse of tongues.
Frickit

Postby kenshin648 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:17 am

From some of the things I have read for the last boss, you should try to burn him down to 35-40% hp before he can do his first insanity. And after that insanity, burn him down quick enough so he doesnt cast the second one.
Give me blood
kenshin648

Re: [H] Old Kingdom achievements

Postby Belloc » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:23 am

Frickit wrote:Respect your elders has changed and I couldnt get it done. I used to kite him to the entrance. I tried having an offtank be at max distance in the bosses room but he still went immune.

For the last boss is there anything else to do but power through and kill shadow adds asap? Apparently he was immune to curse of tongues.

There are several ways to do the last boss. The most reliable is probably having your healer choose a DPS spec. I don't mean a hybrid spec, I mean a pure DPS spec (shadow, elemental, ret, balance). Doing this will ensure that their insanity clones won't cast heals. Also, if you have a warlock and a paladin, you can SS the paladin and the paladin can DI whoever is weakest when it comes to killing insanity adds, which will take both of those players out of the picture for an insanity phase. The key is to do this while insanity is being cast.

Finally, the way I recommend doing it: Heroism. Get through the first insanity phase as fast as possible (preferably with a DPS specced healer) and then get the boss to 35-36%. Wait until the boss starts casting a spell and then burn heroism and have everyone go all out. If you can take him from 35% to 0%, you won't get a second insanity. Do not do this at 68-70%, though, or else you will get a two sets of insanity adds.

Good luck!
Belloc

Postby Hiroko » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:44 am

Did some of these last night.

Group setup:
prot pally
feral druid
disc priest
rogue
warlock

Respect your Elders:
The room before the bosses room is reaonably large.
The druid tanked the boss in the right hand corner as you enter that room.
Priest was with him healing the group.
I was in the boss's room picking up the guardians as they spawned - only damage i was taking was from the poison and SoL/JoL could keep up with that (~1500bv before libram, block capped).
I only had to grab 2 guardians, boss was dead by then - was close tho as the priest aggroed some of the little adds that are also immune when near to the guardian and killed him. Druid was able to stay up long enough to finish off the boss tho.

Took us 3 attempts to get the positioning right.

Volunteer Work:
Pretty easy altho we made hard work of it.
Me tanking this time, feral dpsing.
Let her sacrifice the volunteers and make good use of trinkets/divine protection.
Both rogue and druid got killed by one of the early whirlwind moves - priest, warlock and I finished her off from about 40%

Did this one on the first try with a new crit LoH record of 82k :)

Volazj's Quick Demise:
Didn't manage this one - disc priest was a nightmare to kill - so we ended up at about 3 mins. Might have to try DI or summoning tricks to get it, would rather not though.

Didn't try the last aschievement as we didn;t want to kick someone from the party just to get it - silly idea
Hiroko

Postby Origon » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:55 am

Now I know that the elder boss will "enrage" if he is pulled out of his room now, but how bad is this enrage? I've heard people that simply ignore it and tank him through the enrage, can anyone confirm whether it can be tranq shotted, or how much of a damage bonus / attack speed bonus he gets? Basically what would you put him equivalent to? Enraged Maexxna? Enraged Faerlina?
Origon

Postby majiben » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:29 am

On the last boss I've had good results with either unequipping weapons or putting on a fishing pole (doesn't require a macro) right before the insanity which can severely reduce the damage taken during the insanity (important if you have clothies). Other than that high dps and pure burn can work well. Last pug I was in we were 2 seconds short.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Hiroko » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:41 am

first attempt we tried pull him all the way to entrance as we didn't know about the enrage - I was dead in about 3 hits, first of which was 22k ish, after block
Hiroko

Postby Aubade » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:20 am

Did all achievements for this instance yesterday.

1st boss Elder Nadroax(or whatever)

Prot pally (me)
Afflic Lock
DPS DK
PVP Specced Rogue
Holy Priest

Had the DK standing where the boss stands (before pull) up against that wall picking up Guardians.

me and rest of group was at Stairwell where he enrages standing as far away from DK as possible.

DK didn't need heals (had T7.5 Tank set) just burned boss down, just like the Entrance strat but with an OT in back picking up guardians, although the DK did have to pop some CD's Like AoD.

2nd boss kick 1 person ezmode

3rd boss (floaty cult chick)
I tried tanking boss but got owned by that enrage once my CD's came up, probably could've done it easily if healer was spam healing.
2nd attempt had the DK pop IBF for 1st enrage had me taunt 2nd enrage and pop shield wall she was dead in the beggining of the 3rd enrage.

4th boss (Herald voljaz.)
Now this one was a bit tricky, we tried it with the above mentioned group 2 times

1st time we tried it we just did the DI/Soulstone trick.
What you do is soulstone the Pally Tank (me)
Have the Pally tank set the healer as a focus target or set up a focus target DI macro.
While the 1st insanity is BEING CAST, DI your healer!

once the insanity is done and your DPs is off killing 2 adds each use your soulstone and have the Healer cancel DI, heal you up while you buff RF+ neccessary buffs.

we failed this attempt by like 30 seconds due to me not being able to kill a 25M geared priest during the 2nd insanity.

so we went and did 3rd boss while we waited for CD's.

for the 2nd attempt we tried what was called the "summon strat"

Where you run behind the boss before the pull (he has a VERY small aggro radius and you can run around the pillar and sneak behind him)

The warlock sets up a summoning stone and you summon 2 DPS and your healer. DO NOT TAKE THE SUMMONS.

Have your healer+DPS standing back right in front of the exit portal. Pull the boss and DPS like normal until about 70% at 70% your summoned DPS + healers need to ZONE OUT OF THE INSTANCE. by the time they get zoned out you will be doing an insanity only requiring you to kill 1 add. once the summoned zone out they need to take their summons and they should be back inside the instance right next to you ready to DPS once again. this should cut down a good 20-30 seconds of DPS time in which you should be able to eat the entire 2nd insanity.

This strat FAILED

For the 3rd and final strat we decided to ditch the priest and pick up a resto shaman.

we used the aforementioned DI/soulstone strat while having the Shaman pop heroism as soon as we got out of the first ezmode insanity. also, while the 2nd insanity is being cast we had the DK pop Army of the dead.
16 pets + DK = eassyyyy insanity phase, we killed the boss with 31 seconds left on the timer.

good luck! it was fun creating these strats i hope they work for ya =]
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Frickit » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:45 am

yea I usually suck at insanity. I finally had a good one where I critted the shit out of my girlfriends priest clone but some of the others were new to the fight and failed. The rest of the time we did ok but I couldnt beat her G heals. So I will be trying unequipping weps if damage is a problem...DI/SS should be available to me...hopefully Ill get a shaman. I will definitely be having the priest respec shadow.

For Respecting my Elders does anyone know precisely where he enrages?
And ya the enrage kicked my ass but we only tried that one time and I dont think the healer was totally ready. Its nasty though. What a stupid fucking change to a boss making him enrage for no reason when he leaves his room.
Frickit

Postby fafhrd » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:01 am

Note to people trying Voljaz with a hunter in the group, it seems to be ridiculously easier to work through your insanity as Survival than MM/BM. Everything just... dies.

I think I need to go pvp with this spec.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby majiben » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:35 am

I'm not sure why everyone has trouble with healers on the last boss, seems any class with a stun should be able to take them out with ease with a class with just interrupts/silences also being viable.
majiben

Postby Frickit » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:47 am

Majiben wrote:I'm not sure why everyone has trouble with healers on the last boss, seems any class with a stun should be able to take them out with ease with a class with just interrupts/silences also being viable.

The few times Ive done it I think Ive just been unlucky. I get her to a sliver of health and she gheals to full. If I let that happen even once its already screwed and then my stun is on cd. I need to just do it right and it should be easy. Usually she catches me off guard on a gcd and I cant get the stun off in time.
Frickit

Postby majiben » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:45 am

Wings? Maybe other tanks have an issue? IDK, never had a huge issue.
majiben

Postby Viycktor » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:02 pm

Majiben wrote:I'm not sure why everyone has trouble with healers on the last boss, seems any class with a stun should be able to take them out with ease with a class with just interrupts/silences also being viable.
You say that, and yet last night I did it (the encounter, not the achievement) with Shadow Priest, holy priest, prot paladin, fury warr, and hunter.

It sucks having that many heal capable classes. The two priests just kept healing each other. I think removing weapons helps. (I got rid of mine the first insanity and it went well, the second time I forgot and two people went down)

We all told the holy priest that we hated him after the boss died. :)

I was being conservative though and held off on wings (still trying to get it through my skull that it's OK to use them while tanking again). Next time wings are going up and I'm dropping everything on that freaking priest.

Out normal group is fury warrior, prot paladin, mage, shadow priest, holy priest. I don't want to go in there with that group until I get some silence abilities in the next patch. ;)
Viycktor

Postby Seloei » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:17 pm

Volazj quick demise is made easymode if you have 2 paladins. Either a lock + druid or 2 locks in a raid to throw soulstones. One paladin Di's the healer during the first insanity, dps burns the two, he reses up. Second insanity the other paladin DI's the healer again, reses up after the cast is finished again.
Voila, more than a minute left on the 2 minute timer (you can complete it in a raid group)

First boss, take the turn left instead of right (more trash) and have a plate class tank the boss near the stairs, the one where he goes up he enrages not the stairs to his room. you pick up any guardians and keep them away.

Volunteer work, is just about rotating cooldowns and getting spam healed.

Partys over, tank the boss in a corner and have dps who can ice block / bubble. He casts vanish every 25% so if you want to/have to, then wait until their off the cooldowns so they dont die, if you have low dps
Seloei

Next

Return to General Strats