Remove Advertisements

[H] Gundrak - Less-Rabi Achievement

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[H] Gundrak - Less-Rabi Achievement

Postby tadaka » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:34 am

Can’t remember the achievement off the top of my head but the goal is to prevent the boss from becoming a mammoth.

I tried the achievement about 6 times yesterday and total fail. From what I saw for ideas on this fight every one said to go with a now non working cheat.

So had an idea at work and wondering if anyone can offer any insight.

Basic plan is I can get past the first 2 easy casts and then have locks use fel puppy’s to get past the rest.

So....
Can I stack up the group with 3 locks and have the fell hunters have spell lock on auto cast to get past the spell or would all 3 burn them from auto cast on the first spell.
Last edited by tadaka on Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
tadaka

Postby phaqueue » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:36 am

First... this should be posted in the 5-man strat forums... where there are already a couple of threads about achievements...

2nd - auto-cast on a locks spell lock is not a smart auto-cast. It doesn't wait for a spell to be being cast - it just spell locks every time the ability is off cooldown...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby moduspwnens » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:41 am

The achievement is called Less-rabi.

http://www.wowhead.com/?achievement=2040

I did it one of the easier ways early on (has been fixed). Seems like the most useful comment on WoWhead may be this one:

schmonkey58 wrote:Me and my guildies recently got this achievement after our share of failed attempts and here is how we did it:

First off, we did NOT use Blood Lust/Heroism.

Next (and this is most important) we figured out the exact time of his casting intervals (from the beginning of one cast to the beginning of the next):

100%-51% he will cast his transform every 10 seconds.
50%-0% he will cast his transform every 5 seconds.

What we had to do from here was preempt all of his casts.

To do this, start your in-game stopwatch when your tank pulls. See when he casts the first transform and from there time each in 10 or 5 second intervals depending on what percentage he is at.

I got lucky and started it right on time so his casts went at :10, :20, :30, :35, and :40. Each person with the interrupt should be watching his own timer to avoid voice-chat or Vent lag.

If you are good on the timers you should be able to interrupt each transform the split second that he begins to cast. We had the casts so well timed out that all we were seeing were interrupted cast bars. Like it has already been stated: His cast time goes down as he loses health, so if you aren't able to interrupt as he starts you may not get to see his cast bar at all anyway.

That is basically all there is to it. Just being prepared for what is coming instead of waiting until it is going to happen.

Our actual kill was what started off as "practice" on the timer strat and we very easily got the achievement.

We also had plenty of interrupts in the group. Our makeup was:
Death Knight (tank)
Enh Shaman
Arcane Mage
Ret Pally
Holy Pally

Even though we had enough people to constantly interrupt this could just as well have been done with only a couple interrupts on short CDs like Kick, Shock, or Pummel.

Best of luck!

I haven't tried it personally, but it seems like it makes sense and got rated up 21 times.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby tadaka » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:45 am

Sorry i posted this to the wrong place if a mod could move that would be great. I did not know that autocasting spell lock was mostly useless thanks for the input.
tadaka

Postby majiben » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:08 am

With a high dps group it would be possible do it close to brute force. One group I was in got him down to ~20% by his second class. Then again all the dps were well over 2k and I wasn't too shabby myself. If myself and the other 2 pallies hadn't wasted our HoJ on his first cast we would have had it. With them future changes to exorcism, having the glyphed version should let you do this with no other interrupters in your group provided you have high enough dps.

Needless to say I was impressed with the quality of that PuG.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby aureon » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:52 am

would be possible to bruteforce him?
my usual achievement group is:
3 DK
resto sham/holy pala
prot pala
everyone is 2-3 pieces off their best in game gear.
like.. interrupt at 60% or so, 3x army, gargs, heroism, fire elemental etc
should be about 20-25k groupdps for that ~20sec, how much health he got?
aureon

Postby Worldie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:06 am

His casts are "humanly" kickable until about 35%, after that it's like 0.5 sec casts.
To bruteforce him you'd need to burn down 35% of his hp in 5 seconds... fairly hard.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Panzerdin » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:03 am

The best thing to do is take a mage for the irritatingly long CS lockdown, and hope you interrupt one while beating the crap out of it.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Elennira » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:27 am

suppose you could chain HoJ, CS and Silence him from about 50% down
Elennira

Postby Worldie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:30 am

Panzerdin wrote:The best thing to do is take a mage for the irritatingly long CS lockdown, and hope you interrupt one while beating the crap out of it.

The kind of kick you use has no effect on the cooldown of the skill.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Aubade » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:34 am

Worldie wrote:
Panzerdin wrote:The best thing to do is take a mage for the irritatingly long CS lockdown, and hope you interrupt one while beating the crap out of it.

Hmm i think he meant a mage specced into imp CS for the 3 second silence regardless of interuppt or not. i'm not sure if this would work though.

Interesting thread, I hope to be trying this achievement soon (next 2-3 days) since i'm only about 3 "hard" achievements away from my drake. (hard being Less-rabi, 20 Min Occulus, emerald void, and 1 other can't remember >.<)
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Panzerdin » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:34 am

This is true, but it never seems that way.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Origon » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:37 am

Is my memory failing, or was there something in the patch notes about that boss not being lock-outable of his spell school for transform? I was under the impression that the interrupt part will work no matter what, but he'll still cast it 5s later even if he was locked out with imp cs / kick
Origon

Postby Mex » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:40 am

I've done this on my DK and Paladin (was holy at the time). Both times took us roughly 15-20 attempts.

On my DK the group was priest healer, 3 DKs and a mage. Each DK interrupted a cast, with the mage taking the final one. The priest was nuking throughout the entire fight, occasionally using a GCD to heal stomp damage / shield / renew the tank. After a dozen unsuccessful tries attempting to time our DPS so that he went under 50% and 35% just after casts, we finally decided to just burn hard. We got it when the mage basically "guessed" right and mashed CS at the same time as the cast, while everyone else was in full burn mode.

We did the same thing on my pally, but had a hunter instead one of the DKs (me). Burnt hard as hell and then pretty much all mashed our interrupts attempting to "guess" the timer and interrupt it.

In hindsight it would have been much easier with the timer, but guesswork worked okay too, we basically just had to wait for mage to get lucky with hotstreaks and for that to line-up with a good guess. On aussie ping ~300ms, it's impossible to react to the cast-time of the spell sub 35%.
Mex

Postby Elsie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:55 am

Aubade wrote:
Worldie wrote:

Hmm i think he meant a mage specced into imp CS for the 3 second silence regardless of interuppt or not. i'm not sure if this would work though.

Interesting thread, I hope to be trying this achievement soon (next 2-3 days) since i'm only about 3 "hard" achievements away from my drake. (hard being Less-rabi, 20 Min Occulus, emerald void, and 1 other can't remember >.<)

immune to silence
Elsie

Next

Return to General Strats