Remove Advertisements

[10] Sartharion with 3 drakes

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Salamandra » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:15 am

Waited until the second drake was targettable before heroism. First drake died about 5 seconds after the second drake was targettable, second drake died about 12 seconds after third drake was targettable. I was healed by the holy priest, warrior tank was healed by the holy paladin. Obviously when I was tanking both Sarth and Vesperon, I was being healed by both.
Salamandra

Postby Loras » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:25 pm

Do you enter portals every time an acolyte is spawned to kill them? If so - who tanks the acolyte (I guess the drake tank tanks the fire adds while the acolyte dies)? If not - how do you outheal the dmg on your dpsers, caused by twilight torment?
Loras

Postby Avengeance » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:35 pm

When to take portals is preference of the raid leader and raid setup. Usually most people takes portal after Shadron dies to clean up Shadron's add + vesperons add, then take every vesperon portal hereafter to stop twilight torment damage spikes (both on raid and MT). If you got 3 tanks, send 3rd tank down (drake tank handles drakes + adds meanwhile), if you got 2 tanks... get a dps to tank (assuming you have some kinda plate dps, if not, use a hunter/hunter pet, or even shaman). Any plate DPS can easily tank the adds inside with a healer even in 25 men, as long as you dont pull both at once (they spawn relatively close to each other, but aggro range is small, just pull one at a time)
Avengeance

Postby Loras » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:55 pm

The question was more orientated for Salamandra, but your info is also appreciated, mate, thanks :)
That's because her setup seems the optimal for us and our current availability. For the moment thinking of the following plan:

-me on Sartharion, but will be about 1% crittable :( and like 41k+ hp unbuffed before aura. 180 fire res from aura + flask and some cooldowns like HoS, Bubble Wall, Guardian spirit, Anti Magic Zone, etc.
-another pally on everything else
-1 unholy dk for spell dmg debuff, 5 casters (2 ele shammies, 1 lock, 1 mage, 1 balance druid)
-same healer setup, pala on me, priest on add/drake tank

Too bad that if I get a paladin co-tank, I lose commanding shout :( But gotta live with it somehow.

Do you think ~1% crittability is too awful?

The setup is good, I think, if you have a low number cooldowns available, so that you can nuke the drakes faster and thus decrease the time during which you might get insta-gibbed.
Loras

Postby kosha » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:13 pm

Loras wrote:Do you enter portals every time an acolyte is spawned to kill them? If so - who tanks the acolyte (I guess the drake tank tanks the fire adds while the acolyte dies)? If not - how do you outheal the dmg on your dpsers, caused by twilight torment?

We did find it easiest to just ignore all the portals until all add drakes are dead. If we tried to enter portals our dps would have been too slow and it means mana issues.

With this tactic twilight torment really is issue, but you can burn Shadron down soon enough it shouldnt tress your healers too much. Main key to this was to let only one dps kill adds after first drake and others put full nuke on Shadron as long as there was no twilight torment.
kosha

Postby Saintsabbat » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:54 am

The guild I am in is currently trying this encounter. Last night we got the 2nd drake killed a couple of times before an unlucky string of events/mistakes wiped us.

My question is as follows, how could we improve our group composition?

We are using the following melee heavy set-up:

Sarth Tank: Feral Druid
Drake Tank: Prot Warrior
Add Tank: Prot Paladin

Healer 1: Resto Druid
Healer 2: Resto Shaman

DPS 1: Enhancement Shaman
DPS 2: Ret Paladin
DPS 3: DPS DK (spec which has %heal on damage dealt)
DPS 4: Fury Warrior
DPS 5: Survival Hunter

The DK tanks in portals (we take portal after 2nd drake dies and every portal thereafter).

Enhancement shaman is dropping fire res totem as well as buffing melee in a big way and is 2nd heroism so small down time between attempts.

Ret Paladin is giving mana return.

Fury Warrior is giving buffed Commanding.

Survival Hunter is giving ???

Does anyone have an idea for a different 5th DPS class to get in, admittedly we are running melee heavy but do we have any other viable options?

We are putting out around the 4k dps benchmark but I am looking for any small improvement we can make.

Kind regards,

Saint x
Proud GM, RL and MT of <Cataclysm> Bronze Dragonflight 5/5 MH, 9/9 BT.
Saintsabbat

Postby inthedrops » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:12 am

Saintsabbat wrote:The guild I am in is currently trying this encounter. Last night we got the 2nd drake killed a couple of times before an unlucky string of events/mistakes wiped us.

We are putting out around the 4k dps benchmark but I am looking for any small improvement we can make.

Kind regards,

Saint x

I would suggest you not try to measure the raid DPS for use as a benchmark. Instead, just ensure the DPS is meeting whatever goals your strategy requires such as; whelp spawns, and how long Tenebron or Saph are alive.

If you killed two drakes already then you are WELL on your way and with a little luck it could come quickly. If for these wipes there were obvious mistakes then those are the things that should be addressed. I think for the first kill this fight isn't very forgiving.

I'm not too sure about how much DPS the survival hunter is able to put out, and if the raid is worried about de-enraging adds. But you might consider throwing a rogue in there to fulfill the same job instead of the hunter. I don't know which spec it is where the hunters DPS relies on their pet staying alive but we stopped taking hunters for this because of it. (maybe it's just our hunters but they were the ones telling us not to take them after they couldn't keep their pets alive).

Otherwise I'd just take whoever your best choice is for melee DPS. Warriors seem to be pretty OP with their whirlwind, even after the nerf.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Nick7 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:27 am

Hmm.. anyone tried this tactic?

Basically, it's Voidwalker tanking Sartharion... with massive HP, and great breath avoidances (AoE dmg), making him ideal tank not to get insta-gibbed by breaths.

I think we might try that very soon :)
Nick7

Postby Serelynn » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:07 am

The VW strategy for Sartharion is being nerfed soon, I wouldn't rely upon it.
Serelynn

Postby inthedrops » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:29 am

Serelynn wrote:The VW strategy for Sartharion is being nerfed soon, I wouldn't rely upon it.

source
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Nick7 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:18 am

Well, that post can be seen as two things:
1) VW might get nurf
2) VW is usable on Sarth as tank, but won't be in any new forthcoming content
Nick7

Postby PsiVen » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:53 am

I think it's likely that VW hp will be nerfed (potential 100k pet in arenas is a tad op) but the overarching change would be that boss melee attacks do 500% to pets or something. I'm a little surprised this hasn't been the case already, maybe they were reluctant to put it in after Diablo II's system of everything a boss does instagibbing pets was unpopular with pet classes.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Salamandra » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:59 am

Loras wrote:Do you enter portals every time an acolyte is spawned to kill them? If so - who tanks the acolyte (I guess the drake tank tanks the fire adds while the acolyte dies)? If not - how do you outheal the dmg on your dpsers, caused by twilight torment?

Once second drake is down, the portal is entered every time it opens. The death knight dps tanks the acolyte in frost presence, while the elemental shaman heals inside the portal. Both real healers and real tanks stay outside the portal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCeuHB7sd3Y You can see the magic happen, MT dies and I have aggro for some reason.

On the subject of Voidwalker tanks: Can't they just make the voidwalker's hp not scale so much? Is there any reason why voidwalkers having massive hp is needed for pvp balance? It's not like they can only use a voidwalker...
Salamandra

Postby wingman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:33 am

Our guild has found it easier to just ignore the portals until all drakes are down. Once 2nd drake is down, Sarth tank becomes easier to heal as the 75% fire damage debuff from Shadron is gone. All dps on vesperon and you should be able to finish him off fairly quickly, then go in the portal and take care of the acolytes. There's a bit more raidwide damage this way, but it's cleaner, and faster, and mana DOES become an issue for healers, and going in the portal to kill adds that will respawn because you've sacrificed drake dps just prolongs the fight.
wingman

Postby daemonym » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:13 am

i'm fairly sure that the answer is no, but i wanted to ask anyways. would it be possible using a 3 tank 2 heal 5 dps set up using 90% gear from 10 man raids and emblems only, assuming we're all wearing best available? currently our best dps is an arcane mage at 2800 with a few more upgrades, they will easily break 3k so this leads me to believe that it -might- be with a drop of luck.

eventual comp will be:
prot warrior
prot warrior
prot pally

coh priest
resto druid

arcane/frost mage
ele shaman
hemo rogue
MM hunter
ret pally
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

PreviousNext

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon