Remove Advertisements

Agility

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Agility

Postby Eanin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:03 am

I've done some of the math on agility at 80, and it's not bad, quite comparable to dodge. Here's my conclusion:

With Kings, agility is virtually identical in item budget to Dodge+some armor

Here's the math:

39.35/52.08=0.7556 - this is the value of agility when compared to dodge
+
2/14=0.1429 - this is the value of agility's two armor when compared to armor's item budget

Total: 0.8984

But wait! - Kings... (*1.1)

So, agility is almost as valuable in item budget as dodge+armor, counting Kings. Assuming on does not completely discount melee crit (i.e., 100 melee crit rating > 1 dodge), it will actually catch up.

Recommendation:

Agility is a nice all-around stat that combines avoidance, armor and crit with virtually no loss of item budget. In cases where there is a choice (mainly gemming and weapon enchants), it is like a more well-rounded dodge rating.
Eanin

Postby Rasmfrackn » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:15 am

It's always been true, really. Back at 70 it was something like 22 agi per 1% instead of the 19 dodge rating, plus the armor. Now, with diminishing returns on the avoidance part pushing that difference closer together, the armor portion of agi gains a little bit of play. It's a pretty small amount of armor, of course, but it's also a pretty small difference in avoidance.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Re: Agility

Postby Morair » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:45 am

Eanin wrote:Recommendation:

Agility is a nice all-around stat that combines avoidance, armor and crit with virtually no loss of item budget. In cases where there is a choice (mainly gemming and weapon enchants), it is like a more well-rounded dodge rating.

If you gem mostly for dodge rating + little bit of stamina you get slightly more avoidance and effective health than gemming for all dodge. This is after factoring in kings, talents and +2% armor meta. (the ratio is something like 7 dodge gems + 3 dodge/sta > 10 agility gems). You would have to weigh crit from agi vs. threat component of stamina and figure out if TPS increase is worth the decrease in survivability.

The differense is so small however that this discussion is purely academic. ;) Realistically the choice between dodge and agility only concerns few (red) gems slots. DMC:G is nice but the price is very high considering what's available for badges.

Agility is not a bad stat and I really don't get why so many people enchant their weapon for 20 str instead of 26 agility. I have agility on cloak too.
Morair

Postby Amaranthea » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:18 am

Agility is pretty much always better than parry, and in some cases (see: block capped with large amounts of parry/defense rating so you are getting wrecked by parry and miss drs) is even better than defense. It's a good thing none of the high level tanking plate has lots of parry on it...

On a related note, seeing people with dodge/stamina gems and 20 str to weapon always cracks me up.
Amaranthea

Postby Petrus » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:28 am

I'm planning on switching to 22agi for cloak in my main tanking (read: general avoidance-type) set when I can really spare the 16 defense that's on there now. Going to put 26agi on Last Laugh when it drops for me. Other than that, I'll stick to my dodge/stam gems until the diminishing returns get too punishing, then I might stack a little agi. Shifting is a HARD cut to get though, I'm not even sure if it's in game yet. Haven't seen any on my realm so far.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby Amaranthea » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:22 am

Petrus wrote:Shifting is a HARD cut to get though, I'm not even sure if it's in game yet. Haven't seen any on my realm so far.

Shifting is not in game AFAIK. (Insert Druid QQ here)
Amaranthea

Postby Celestira » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:17 pm

I use Agi on my gloves because it's better itemization than anything else available for the slot (and I'm sooooo not concerned about threat) .

I also use it on my weapon as well. I use it over Str because:

1. there's more Agi on the chant than Str
2. Seeing as my gear strategy consists of get 540 def/stack stam/try to block cap without losing too much stam I'll take all the "free" avoidance I can get.

Armory, for reference.
Celestira

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations