PvP Retribution Builds

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

PvP Retribution Builds

Postby cordelia » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:50 pm

This is the talent build I'm running with right now:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZ0ebGfZVfMtrG0fMsgzuo

What do you guys think?

1 point in Righteous Vengeance just so that I get the dot. I skip Sanctified Retribution because I'm often on shadow or frost resist.

In the ret tree, dps comes down to Crusade vs. 2hws vs. Righteous Vengeance. Crusade >> 2hws, obviously, 2% overall dmg/pt vs. 2% weapon damage. But How much damage does RV give? Anyone know?

In the prot tree, it's Divine Guardian vs. more ret dps. I run 2 dps, so when I bubble they almost always switch to my partner. So, damage reduction for him = good.
cordelia

Re: PvP Retribution Builds

Postby Flex » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:56 pm

cordelia wrote:Crusade >> 2hws, obviously, 2% overall dmg/pt vs. 2% weapon damage.

Things modified by 2HWS: Auto, Seal of Blood/Command and their Judgements, Divine Storm, Crusader Strike.

Things modified by Crusade and not modified by 2HWS: Exorcism, Consecration, Hammer of Wrath.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby majiben » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:03 am

Sanctified retribution should be taken as it is a flat 3% dps increase for yourself and hopefully nearby teammates. Speaking of teammates who are you running with and what brackets if any? That information is more important than you may realize.

I have heard that an eye for an eye is often dropped for more offensive or utility talents. Some also swear by SoB over SoC citing that current pvp is kill someone before you can be killed and that it's burst is too good to pass up but that's for you decide.

I'm not a big fan of imp RF in ret pvp builds due to it being dispellable, prohibitively costly to recast. Consider placing those 3 points in filling out toughness. I have also heard that imp might is a big dps boost especially if there are other physical dps even if it is dispellable.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby cordelia » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:49 am

I had been taking sanctified retribution, but I was given the advice that vs. locks/DK's/spriests, I should be using shadow resist, vs. mages, frost resist, vs. hunters(?Iirc) fire resist, which leaves very few classes that I need ret aura for.

I've heard about SoB vs. SoC, but it probably works better in a comp where you aren't the #1 target 90% of the time. I am. In a typical 30 second arena match, SoB hits for ~3-400, and JoB hits for 1k damage. That's 4k+ self-damage. Quite a bit.

I thought about impMight, but I don't know where to pull the talent points from.
cordelia

Postby majiben » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:43 am

Hmm, I suppose that resist auras are now more now that we get all the way up to fair resistance with just the aura. Still need to know more about the brackets you're running and what yor team consists of.

List of opponents that resist auras are useless:
Arcane mages
Warriors
Rogues
Hunters
Paladins
Shamans
Druids
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby cordelia » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:47 am

Apparently they say you should use Fire resist for Hunters do to Explosive Shot.

I agree on the rest. WTB: Nature Resist for Shamans and Druids.

So how many teams have only those above combinations?

For healer/dps teams, you have druid/warrior, shaman/warrior, druid/rogue, druid/hunter, shaman/ret pally, druid/ret pally(??).

For dps/dps teams, you have warrior/rogue, warrior/ret pally, warrior/enh. shammy?, rogue/ret pally, mage/rogue, mage/ret pally, rogue/druid, warrior/hunter, rogue/hunter, paladin/hunter, boomkin/ele, boomkin/mage, mage/ele.

I missed some combinations on purpose b/c you almost never see them in arenas.

Is 1 talent point worth 3% increased damage for those teams? I guess it just might be. Thanks for the feedback. Otoh, we rarely have problems with double-dps, and have more problems with healer/dps teams.

I have run with 2 combos: DK/ret pally, and prot warrior/ret pally.
My biggest issue, I think, is that my partner just doesn't have enough time to PvP.
cordelia

Postby Maswin » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:29 am

How do you think this would do as a 2nd spec for ret? Bearing in mind my focus on pvp is minimal to non-existant and I like to do pve as dps sometimes.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?paladin ... rsion=9626
Maswin

Return to Basic Training & Talents