Watch Him Die

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Kelaan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:26 pm

Exolaeth wrote:We didn't really encounter that problem. The boss was literally dead in 23 seconds.

I suspect you were just lucky, then. Sometimes the Skirmishers take a while to fixate, other times it seems to happen very early.
Kelaan

Postby fafhrd » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:17 am

Did it a while back so perhaps this doesn't work anymore, but we did it I believe with a prot warrior, rogue, hunter, warlock and priest - we tried a bunch of kiting at first which didn't work for us, so we eventually climbed up to the upper level in the room - it's not wall climbing or anything, you can pretty much just walk up there, and walk all the way around the room to the right side (facing him) of the boss.

Soulstoned the priest, hunter dropped a frost trap and a target decoy halfway along the upper platform, then the warrior jumped down and pulled, hunter and rogue misdirected and jumped down, priest stayed upstairs. The adds aggroed on the healer fairly quickly and started trecking up to the upper level - again there's no particularly tricky pathing, so they literally walked around the room, which took a while - when they were near, healer jumped down, adds came back down, killed the healer, he soulstoned, warrior aoe taunted and shieldwalled, and we managed to burn off the last few percent. Everyone other than the rogue died just after the boss died. Think it was a 37s kill or something.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Hiroko » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:21 am

Did it last night.

Group was:
me - prot pally
feral druid
rogue
warlock
disc priest

Rogue pulled with fan of knives and tricks up to MD to me near the entrance to the room. I then ran the short way up to the entrance portal dropping consecration on the way. Turned and tanked all 3 watchers and their smaller adds for as long as possible - full t7.5, 40k hp, LoH, trinkets and divine protection - while the feral tanked the boss at his spawn point.

They basically 4 manned the boss in the time it took the adds to run to me, kill me and run back. They had him at around 20% before I died so still had a few seconds to spare. Watchers despawn when boss dies.

Then went on to do Gotta Go! and Hadronox Denied with the same group.
Hiroko

Postby Aubade » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:56 am

Tried this numerous times last night with this setup

Prot paladin(me)
Afflic Lock
Rogue
mage
Holy Priest

after about 6-7 attempts with the warlock seeding all 3 groups, using teleport spell and trying to DPs race the boss down we decided to lose the rogue and pick up a DPS DK.

our strat went as follows,

I ran in pulled all 3 groups, consecrate, holy shield, wait for HP to get below 5k, Lay on hands. Rocket boots run towards entrance, all the while other 4 are DPsing the boss (DPS DK tanking boss) I kited to the entrance, once they got close to me I holy Wrath Heal, eat a few more hits and die, by the time i died achievement spam in guild chat

There's nothing a prot paladin with Rocket boots can't do.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Inimicus » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:05 pm

Again brute forced it.

Group set up:
Prot Pally (me)
Disc Priest
FFB Mage
FFB Mage
Ele Shaman

Took us a few attempts, we tried killing everything and having me tank the watches and boss, but the web spray thing just becomes too much of an issue.

Run in, pull, HS, conc, bubble wall and pray your dps crits a lot. I think we killed him in <40seconds.
I handed out haste pots to the dps, which seemed to help.

Lots of CDs used; Bubblewall, LoH and pot from me, mages both IB'd. We all died, but got the achievement, keep at it those still going for it. =)

My main issue was trying to keep threat on everything, I know a ton of the adds got lose, saw FNx2 and both mages had to IB at some point. Conc was always down, HW was on CD, I didn't wings as I pretty much blew Bubblewall right away. If I were to do it again, I'd use AW/trinkets at start, and save Bubble wall for the very end, I don't think much yet people will kill him in <30seconds.
Inimicus

Postby Kelaan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:29 am

If we had another paladin, could we effectively just start the pull with fearing the skirmishers, and THEN nuking the boss down? Or will they break the fear (or other CC) and come try to gib people anyway?
Kelaan

Postby Belloc » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:26 am

Kelaan wrote:If we had another paladin, could we effectively just start the pull with fearing the skirmishers, and THEN nuking the boss down? Or will they break the fear (or other CC) and come try to gib people anyway?

The watchers will still wrap you and the rest of the party, which is even worse than a skirmisher's fixate.
Belloc

Postby Auroris » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:45 pm

Gah! JUST BURN BURN BURN!!!1111ONEONEONEONEOHENEE >_> Murder > stupid tactics
"Someday the Glory will Fade and only Memories will remain."
Auroris

Postby Avengeance » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:30 am

1 shotted it a few nights ago while boosting some alts.

Prot Pala
DPS DK x2
Holy Priest
Hunter

(Their dps isnt great either, they dinged 80 like 2 days ago).

I pull all 3 watcher packs with a guardian spirit to me so I wont die - holy wrath them, run to the entrance of instance, while rest of group kill boss.... didnt even ask hunter to use slowing trap.

When i was about to die I bubbled and they killed him by then.
Avengeance

Postby Origon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:45 am

Is it just me or have they "fixed" the ledge that goes all the way around the room? I simply could not get up there last time I was in AN. Might have just been my bad memory of where to get up there though
Origon

Postby amh » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:46 am

Got it two days ago, quite the challenge. The way we finally got it done was pretty straight forward, just required some sick dps.

Prot pally, ele. shaman, TG warrior, mage, resto-druid.

Mage used some nifty abilities to pull all three groups instantly (cast + instant + instant), blinked away and kept running uphill. The rest of us popped heroism and started nuking the boss. Got him to about 50% before the adds came back, but by then we were fairly certain he would go down.

Consecrate, holy wrath, bubble-wall. I think we were all cc´d at the end, but the mage blinked back in time for the killing blow :)

It should be doable without heroism-brute-force / kiting as well, but I´d recommend bringing two tanks for it. That way your party doesn´t insta-wipe if you get confounded by the far right watcher.

The easiest way is probably just to use a hunter. Multi-shot the far right group, aspect of the cheetah (not pack) the hell out toward the entrance, feign death. Then you can just holy wrath the two packs on the left and nuke the boss. As long as your healer can heal through the enraged watcher (middle?), and you stack up closely so your semi-aoe (hotr, whirlwind, etc) breaks webs, you should be all right.

We did not have any issues with mobs despawning by kiting.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby gattaca » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:32 pm

We had a ret paladin kite the mobs. Everyone else in the water.
a) ret paladin pulls
b) he pops a sprint potion and runs to instance door, let them get close to him
c) he bubbles - adds start to run back
d) remove bubble when adds are almost back to the bottom of the passage and they start to run BACK to him again as he's the only one with agro on them
e) (though we didnt have to go this far) he could zone out of the instance when they're back to him and they'll run back down the passage again

Within this timeframe, there's more than enough time for a competent 4man party to kill the boss.

Basically yo-yo the mobs up and down the first hallway a few times.
gattaca

Postby Belarkan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:55 pm

Point for the kitting: there must be one or more adds that stay in the line of sight.
Otherwise, the encounter will reset.
Belarkan

Previous

Return to General Strats