How to Solo Garr: A Guide for Warrior and Paladin Tanks

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Pursan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:48 am

What kind of gear are most of you using? Last time I went in I was fresh 80 and had leveling and dungeon blues on and got killed in about 7 minutes. I am thinking of going back and trying again though.
Pursan

Postby Baeric » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:07 am

Pursan wrote:What kind of gear are most of you using? Last time I went in I was fresh 80 and had leveling and dungeon blues on and got killed in about 7 minutes. I am thinking of going back and trying again though.

You guys are going to hate me. I just got the Garr binding a couple of days ago on my very first solo attempt of him.

To answer Pursan, I was block capped with Holy Shield up, but I can't really speak to whether or not this is necessary. Make sure you either have seal of light up or are judging light. The main thing is to make sure you sit in the corner. If Garr's little buddies get behind you, their debuff can really add up. Also, since Garr will periodically remove buffs from you, make sure you keep an eye on BoSanc and refresh as needed. This will give you all the mana you need.
Baeric

Postby Cearn » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:58 pm

Pursan wrote:What kind of gear are most of you using? Last time I went in I was fresh 80 and had leveling and dungeon blues on and got killed in about 7 minutes. I am thinking of going back and trying again though.

7 Minutes? You can bubble and heal twice in that time.
Cearn

Postby spoohne » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:50 pm

As a holy paladin i was able to solo Geddon and Garr today.

Geddon dropped nothing, but garr dropped his binding.

FIRST KILL EVER!!

Anyway, the strat is super easy.

Just have Ret aura + concecrate at all times, and just heal through as best as you can until garrs adds are dead.

For Geddon, it's alot easier.

Quick post, g2g!
spoohne

Postby latchee » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:01 am

As you are level 80, Garr is now a trash.
I never add to heal me since level 80. I just rush him, get in place in the back of the room and use seal of vengeance and judgement of light. It is enough to kill him in 5 min max.
BTW don't use consecrate until he is 30%, adds are mana-providers ;)
latchee

Postby spoohne » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:39 am

latchee wrote:As you are level 80, Garr is now a trash.
I never add to heal me since level 80. I just rush him, get in place in the back of the room and use seal of vengeance and judgement of light. It is enough to kill him in 5 min max.
BTW don't use consecrate until he is 30%, adds are mana-providers ;)

I think you missed the part where i said i was holy :P
spoohne

Postby Probius » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:19 am

How (as holy) did you kill him and not go oom?

I tried this last night as a holy build i raided with, and found it impossible to heal through. Consecration ticking for 200~, Ret aura being around the same, and all the adds hitting for 400-500 with garr hitting for 600+, i ran close to oom right before i died (short fight tbh).

The more prot gear i wore (which i dont have much as its my off-spec now) the less mana and healing i had, the more healing gear i wore, the faster my health dropped.

I'd like to know what kind of gear / spec you did this with as i'm collecting tanking gear now so i can solo him on reset nights (2 kills, 1 before and 1 after reset to save on respecs) to get my 2nd binding.
Probius

Postby latchee » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:57 pm

spoohne wrote:I think you missed the part where i said i was holy :P

I am terribly sorry I didn't read everything :oops:
latchee

Postby spoohne » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:17 am

Probius wrote:How (as holy) did you kill him and not go oom?

I tried this last night as a holy build i raided with, and found it impossible to heal through. Consecration ticking for 200~, Ret aura being around the same, and all the adds hitting for 400-500 with garr hitting for 600+, i ran close to oom right before i died (short fight tbh).

The more prot gear i wore (which i dont have much as its my off-spec now) the less mana and healing i had, the more healing gear i wore, the faster my health dropped.

I'd like to know what kind of gear / spec you did this with as i'm collecting tanking gear now so i can solo him on reset nights (2 kills, 1 before and 1 after reset to save on respecs) to get my 2nd binding.

Just consecrate / heal. Thats as best as i can tell you. I have about 2k Spell power and a 20k mana pool, so that certainly helps. Just use Divine plea off cool down. Shield is also pretty vital. Here's a SS

http://img4.imageshack.us/my.php?image= ... 202727.jpg

http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 203209.jpg
spoohne

Postby Probius » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:18 pm

Are you wearing any Tank gear? I might've just been tanking bad and let the Adds get behind me, but it seems like once i start casting, i cant stop since the the damage adds up faster (while casting no dodging / block / parry)

Going to be trying again in a bit (since i'm in badlands atm anyways leveling Engineering. If i cant pull it off, going to go prot spec tuesday before and after reset.
Probius

I got mine!

Postby LordoftheLeftHand » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:26 am

Woot, thanks to this guide and some luck I managed to get my Thunderfury!

Ok next step, hand of rag...

Think it is possible to solo Major Domo / Rag?

LLH
LordoftheLeftHand

Postby spoohne » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:27 pm

Probius wrote:Are you wearing any Tank gear? I might've just been tanking bad and let the Adds get behind me, but it seems like once i start casting, i cant stop since the the damage adds up faster (while casting no dodging / block / parry)

Going to be trying again in a bit (since i'm in badlands atm anyways leveling Engineering. If i cant pull it off, going to go prot spec tuesday before and after reset.

No tank gear. Pure holy gear.
spoohne

Re: I got mine!

Postby minieh » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:02 am

LordoftheLeftHand wrote:Think it is possible to solo Major Domo / Rag?

LLH

Well to get to Major Domo, you basicly have to solo the whole of MC... that could å
potentially take some time... Major domo is basicly just Garr, with bigger adds and no disspell, but a few more spell damage spells.. might get tricky, but i think its possible with the extra gained from buffs.

Ragnaros is where i see the biggest issue. Melt weapon, slowly owning your main hand weap, and then his son-of-a-bitch mana draining adds every 1 and a half minute... other than that, easy =)
minieh

Re: How to Solo Garr: A Guide for Warrior and Paladin Tanks

Postby Aergis » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:14 pm

Well to get to Major Domo, you basicly have to solo the whole of MC... that could å
potentially take some time... Major domo is basicly just Garr, with bigger adds and no disspell, but a few more spell damage spells.. might get tricky, but i think its possible with the extra gained from buffs.

I've done it, almost... I cleared it all except Ghennas, whos a complete bitch. After about 8 attempts I finally got a stable strat for him and got him to 12% but aggrod giants at 20% which is what ended up killing me. I never tried again after that because i was exhausted, and I just haven't been back to attempt it. The trick though is massive SR, i was at 500+ with aura, and always walking backwards in large areas ( hence the agro mistake ) to avoid the rain of fire.
Aergis
Site Admin

Re: How to Solo Garr: A Guide for Warrior and Paladin Tanks

Postby Panzerdin » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:21 pm

Yes, Gehennas is doable as long as you have capped or near-capped SR. A healthy dose of Holy gear won't hurt you either.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats