Watch Him Die

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby phaqueue » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:54 am

I thought I read that they made it impossible to kite? fight resets now or something...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Vanifae » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:47 am

phaqueue wrote:I thought I read that they made it impossible to kite? fight resets now or something...

It may be possible to kite but it could cause the encounter to despawn. Happened to us and another group in my guild as well.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Treck » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:39 pm

IF only the Kiter is in combat with the adds, the encounter resets should that person leave instance/combat or die.
If you can manage to have others in the group in combat with them aswell, but not having aggro, they will run back to where the rest of you are killing the boss when the kiter is done for.
Treck

Postby gregorian » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:48 am

i cant remember when i did Watch Him Die, but i got glory of the hero on december last year, on my main (warlock).

you can personally remember what kind of gear you were wearing 3 months ago, so trust me, this achievement is doable today. gear wise, you want your non-humans to equip a pvp trinket to get out of the blinding webs.

my setup was destro lock, prot pally, ret pally, mage, resto shaman. we have 2 pallys for 2 sets of hoj and holy wrath for a total of 4 stuns. shaman for heroism.

pull the left set, kill the 2 lackeys, always skirmisher first, since they have Backstab ability that ignores threat tables.ret pally avoids using cons to reduce damage done to the Watcher. pull the centre pack, or let krikthir command them to attack, kill both lackeys. finally pull the last pack and then kill the 2 adds.

at the end of the first pull you have one watcher stuck on to the tank, 2 watchers and then 3. the damage here is not that terrible. but things get messy when one of them does a poison bolt volley that really kills the group hp. thats why you want a shaman. imagine trying to chain heal and then getting group-blinded by one of the watchers. thats where your trinket comes in.

we were in heroics/naxx10 gear. we used hero (10min between attempts). tank used divine protection and loh. mage and i used arcane blast/shadowflame to break webwraps. i spell-locked a watcher casting poison bolt. we all used our trinkets. oh i forgot to mention we had to burn kritthir down at the same time.

on a side note, hadronox denied was pretty tough then but seeing as how ive did it twice on my pally tank already (mispulled hadronox on the first) and still got the achivement, watch him die shouldnt be a problem today.
gregorian

Postby Katerina » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:43 am

We just brought two healers. Some luck is required on webwraps, but I think we got it on the second or third try. Killed all adds but the watchers, tanked the watchers while nuking the boss. We found engaging the boss right away to be easier than waiting, as the more aggro on him during web wrap, the better. So we wound up pulling the waves instead of waiting on them.

Warrior
Frost/Fire Mage
Rogue
Holy Priest
Tree

We did the achievement for the second boss with the same setup, then both healers respecced to spriest/boomkin to do the last boss' achievement.
Katerina

Postby Chunes » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:54 am

The kite method is still viable, it's how we got the acheivement last night.

Group comp:
Prot Pally (kiter)
TG War ("Tank")
Boomkin
Spriest
RestoDrood

I AS'ed the middle pack, exorcised the right group and Hand of Taunted the left pack, dropped a consecrate and booked it up the tunnel.

You have to stop shortly before the tunnel bends to prevent them from resetting the encounter.

Once most of the group had caught up to me, I bubblewalled, chugged healthpots and ate a healthstone I had laying around from our raid earlier that night. as I was nearing death, Holy Wrath stun + LoH + Lavanthors talisman/parry trink from naxx. Then I died.

The group was able to take the boss down in the time it took for the watchers to travel back to them.

Our dps/healer also were as far back in the lower chamber as they could get so as to increase the travel time for the adds.

Hope it helps!
Chunes

Postby Loras » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:02 am

Yes, the kite method still works, or at least they reset only sometimes. I tried for a couple of days with different setups, the way we managed to kill him was the brute-force method:

Prot pally (me)
Enh shammy
Combat rogue
Ret pally
Paladin healer

We all died, of course, but we got it, so who cares :)
Loras

Postby Panzerdin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:29 am

For the kite, get someone to hit them with a little AOE, and they'll run back to pwn him once you're dead.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Belloc » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:00 pm

I seriously recommend just killing the adds in the first two packs, unless you want to risk the skirmishers gibbing your healer before you manage to make it up to the entrance. That happened to me every time I tried that strategy.

Killing the adds in the first two packs also makes it so that you probably won't die when the adds reach you -- you'll get disoriented and the mobs will return to your group. Let them get halfway there and throw out a quick flash heal to get aggro back. Now you've bought your group another 10-20 seconds of kite time. If you fully heal yourself, you can do this until you get extremely unlucky, or until the boss is dead.
Belloc

Postby Chunes » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:57 pm

Our group had no problem with skirmishers aggroing on anything but me simply because the rest of the party literally did nothing until we were all out of range.

Really, if your group's DPS is sufficient, they will have enough time to kill the boss provided the paladin tank kiting uses all his bag of tricks to buy them every possible second.

not every group will have the luxury of awesome dips or a paladin tank who is resourceful enough to pull it off.
Chunes

Postby Belloc » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:20 am

Chunes wrote:not every group will have the luxury of awesome dips or a paladin tank who is resourceful enough to pull it off.

Which is exactly why I suggest killing the adds in the first two packs. Almost every tanking class has some means of escaping the adds while kiting, meaning that the healer can top them off. That player would then be able to reach the top with nearly full health, and 5 mobs chasing them instead of 9. Every time I tried that, I'd get disoriented LONG before they had me at even half health. They'd run back to the group, giving me ample time to heal myself back to full. Sure, a warrior or DK wouldn't be able to heal themselves to full in most situations, but a pally or bear would be able to keep this up indefinitely. DPS could be total crap, they'd still have all the time in the world.

Perhaps I should record this to demonstrate... if I get a chance to log back on again soon.
Belloc

Postby Jasari » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:27 am

I just wanted to endorse Belloc's strat for this achievement.

I completed it yesterday (2/12/09) with the following group:
Prot Pally
Ret Pally
Holy Priest
DK
Mage

We pulled the left pack, killing the two adds. Then pulled the middle pack, killing the two adds. I then AS'd the right pack and dropped a consecrate. As soon as they got to me I HW'd and started running towards the entrance while the rest of the group zerged the boss. The DK tanked the boss in frost presence while in DPS gear. The adds got to me, I hit bubble wall and HW'd again when it was off CD. Then got blinded and the adds start heading back toward the rest of the group, but didn't even get halfway to them by the time the boss died.
Jasari

Postby Auroris » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:39 pm

yeah, this is actually an incredibly easy achievement. And it was a lot easier when y'know, THEY DIDN'T NERF DPS FOR HUNTERS.

BUT How to:

You haz seen the shiny boss. He goes, 'BLAH BLAH OF MY SANCTUM BLAH BLAH'

Group Make Up:

Lulz Me(TG Warrior) 4.9k dps
Prot Pally(2.3k dps)
Reeessstttooooo dr000d
Elleeeemmmeeennntttaaalll shammy. (4.7k dps)
And a MM Hunter(5.1k dps)

Fight starts with CAPTAIN AMERICA'S SHIELD TO THE FACE OF THE BOSS.

AGGRO ON ALL ADDS, ROAR!!!!!!

Paladin blows shield wall, runs in, consecrates. Picks up everything boss in melee zone, she holy wraths. Stuns everything but the boss.

BLOOODDDLLLUSSSTTT!!!!!!!!

Boss died in 23 seconds. >_> WIN.
"Someday the Glory will Fade and only Memories will remain."
Auroris

Postby Belloc » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:04 pm

Exolaeth wrote:yeah, this is actually an incredibly easy achievement. And it was a lot easier when y'know, THEY DIDN'T NERF DPS FOR HUNTERS.

BUT How to:

You haz seen the shiny boss. He goes, 'BLAH BLAH OF MY SANCTUM BLAH BLAH'

Group Make Up:

Lulz Me(TG Warrior) 4.9k dps
Prot Pally(2.3k dps)
Reeessstttooooo dr000d
Elleeeemmmeeennntttaaalll shammy. (4.7k dps)
And a MM Hunter(5.1k dps)

Fight starts with CAPTAIN AMERICA'S SHIELD TO THE FACE OF THE BOSS.

AGGRO ON ALL ADDS, ROAR!!!!!!

Paladin blows shield wall, runs in, consecrates. Picks up everything boss in melee zone, she holy wraths. Stuns everything but the boss.

BLOOODDDLLLUSSSTTT!!!!!!!!

Boss died in 23 seconds. >_> WIN.

What do you do if, after the holy wrath stun wears off, the watchers decide to hit you and your group with the aoe wrap?
Belloc

Postby Auroris » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:12 pm

We didn't really encounter that problem. The boss was literally dead in 23 seconds. Nobody got wrapped or focus'd by the skirmishers. The shaman didn't even have to use Thunderstorm or whatever to knock them back. The paladin just held them all, and after Bloodlust (while Holy wrath) was used. The mobs just seemed to take a liking to the Paladin, and the dr00d just hotted everyone and healing touched the paladin once before Boss went dead. You get the achievement as long as the boss dies with the watchers up. You can kill the adds, I believe. But we didn't waste time with it. The skirmishers didn't hit very hard and its easy to heal through it along with the Poison bolt freaks.
"Someday the Glory will Fade and only Memories will remain."
Auroris

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats