Tanking Gluth adds??

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Tanking Gluth adds??

Postby Anvar » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:55 am

So, I've been reading around about prot pallies jsut simply tanking the Gluth zombies. Not kiting, straight up tanking them. However, I can't seem to find how many dedicated healers they seem to have, or if you can bubble cleanse off the debuff stacks. Also, it doesn't say what level of gear this requires. I'm talking about 25 man BTW. I also have the 25 valor badge cloak and a new 25man hat so I have another 1-2% pure avoidance on top of what armory shows. I'm in all epics, about 3/4 ilvl 200, 1/4 ilvl 213. Any imput would be great, thanks. Armory link in sig.
Anvar

Postby Pallypete » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:43 am

Bubble doesn't remove stacks. And there's no reason to tank them at all, just run around throwing shields and exorcisms and dropping consecrates. If your hunters and shamans can't be bothered to drop snare traps and totems, get new hunters and shamans. Why take extra damage when you don't have to.
Pallypete

Postby Anvar » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:50 am

I don't know.... just to say I can? I really just want to know if it can be done (which people claim is totally possible) and what I need to do it.
Anvar

Postby Panzerdin » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:36 pm

If you're tanking, on average, 5, that's adding 500 damage per 2.5s. After 90s tanking, that's waaaaay too much damage.

EDIT: Especially since that's per attack.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Salamandra » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:39 pm

I think this would be possible... given that they're stunnable (random use of holy wrath by you and other paladins) and that my guild can down Gluth in about 90 seconds or so.

Doesn't mean it's really the best thing to do, though.
Salamandra

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:51 pm

It can be done as long as your guild can kill Gluth within a single decimate, and you gear for it correctly.

I don't know that there's much to be gained by tanking adds straight up other than bragging rights, but it can be done.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:21 pm

I always tank them without kiting cause i'm a lazy bastard.

2 healers on you will take care of it easily.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby skolor » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:17 pm

We just did it this way today (On 10 man). I had one healer on me, and it took almost 3 decimates. With 99 stacks I was taking ~1500 each time I got hit, which wasn't very often. The healer said it was a little worse than soaking hateful strikes.

In terms of damage: I had ~1300-1400 BV raid buffed. I was 1.5% from being Block Capped. Buffed I was looking at 32k health. After reduction, I was taking 1000-1500 damage on the hits I was taking, which was only around 1 in 4. Just before a decimate things would get dicey, since I would have so many on me. According to the healer "It wasn't easy, but it wouldn't say it was that bad".

We'll be doing the same thing next week, I'll try and get a WWS parse so everyone can see what it looks like.
My blog of my experiences leveling a tankadin.
skolor

Postby Anvar » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:20 pm

skolor wrote:We just did it this way today (On 10 man). I had one healer on me, and it took almost 3 decimates. With 99 stacks I was taking ~1500 each time I got hit, which wasn't very often. The healer said it was a little worse than soaking hateful strikes.

In terms of damage: I had ~1300-1400 BV raid buffed. I was 1.5% from being Block Capped. Buffed I was looking at 32k health. After reduction, I was taking 1000-1500 damage on the hits I was taking, which was only around 1 in 4. Just before a decimate things would get dicey, since I would have so many on me. According to the healer "It wasn't easy, but it wouldn't say it was that bad".

We'll be doing the same thing next week, I'll try and get a WWS parse so everyone can see what it looks like.

Sweet, this was the kind of answer I was looking for, thank you.
Anvar

Postby skolor » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:48 pm

I don't know how relevant that is to a 25 man though. Keep in mind that the CD on Consc is almost the exact same as the spawn time for the zombies. For the 10 man, since they only spawn out of the one grate, it was awesome. Keep consc up, dance around a little to make sure they're always in front of me, and be ready to eat a lock-rock/chug a potion during a decimate.

As far as tanking gluth, we just had a DPS Warr throw on a sword and board and taunt for just long enough for the mortal strikes to wear off. with how weak gluth hits for they were doing fine (mostly, we did wipe the first try because a taunt got resisted right before a decimate).
My blog of my experiences leveling a tankadin.
skolor

Postby Seloei » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:02 am

Get moar block value! With around 2k raidbuffed full block value and past the old uncrushable barrier you will block, dodge, parry or miss their attacks which wont apply the dot, almost all the time. Tho Kiting them is easier and more fun. Not like tanking gluth where you fall asleep because he hits you for 3.5k hit! yay! Even less if you have decent block value.
Seloei

Postby amh » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:27 am

Blocking still applies the debuff.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:53 am

skolor wrote:I don't know how relevant that is to a 25 man though. Keep in mind that the CD on Consc is almost the exact same as the spawn time for the zombies. For the 10 man, since they only spawn out of the one grate, it was awesome. Keep consc up, dance around a little to make sure they're always in front of me, and be ready to eat a lock-rock/chug a potion during a decimate.

Picking up zombies alone in 25 men is slightly painful. Having a hunter who can aggro them temporary is good. Our fellow cow hunter apparently has some innate love for zombies.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Zaviv » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:48 am

Sadly most of the times I've downed 25 man Gluth I've tanked all the adds usually with 5 healers dedicated to me when i get 70+ stacks.

and yes we usually down Gluth just before the 2nd decimate.

here's my armory, (logged out with my play weapon) (usually rocking slayer of the lifeless with 20 str and Hero's surrender with 20 Def)

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... us&n=Zaviv
the real-life equivalent of WoW tanking is to pick a fight with a rabid pedophilic cannibal
and try to keep his attention while a pack of first-graders stab him to death with a spork.
Zaviv

Postby majiben » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:21 am

While unlikely you do open yourself up to a instant death scenario while doing this. Essentially in a very short window every zombie's attack connects causing massive burst. Unlikely but possible.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon