[H] Violet Hold...where to tank portal guardians

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Vanifae » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:49 am

Violet Hold is awesome, and can be done in like 15 minutes.

On Heroic.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Wolvar » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:50 am

Discus wrote:I say boycott the place, otherwise it just encourages Blizz to add more like it :wink: After all it's far less work to create a Violet Hold/Black Morass than a proper dungeon.

People wipe in this place??
Wolvar

Postby Kelaan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:34 am

Vanifae wrote:Violet Hold is awesome, and can be done in like 15 minutes. On Heroic.

I've never been ableto get under 25-30 minutes; Do the portals spawn a set time after the last one was closed, or are they on a set timer? Every time, we have had times when it's seeming like an eternity to get the next portal open. Do I just need DPS that makes mobs evaporate, or something?
Kelaan

Postby Vanifae » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:48 am

Kelaan wrote:
Vanifae wrote:Violet Hold is awesome, and can be done in like 15 minutes. On Heroic.

I've never been ableto get under 25-30 minutes; Do the portals spawn a set time after the last one was closed, or are they on a set timer? Every time, we have had times when it's seeming like an eternity to get the next portal open. Do I just need DPS that makes mobs evaporate, or something?

Probably hyperbole, but you do have to wait a little bit of time, but it's extremely fast. Probably almost fast as Azjol Nerub. If you are in there for more then 25ish minutes something has gone wrong.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Discus » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:12 am

>People wipe in this place??

Yup, our little guild find every other heroic almost too easy now. But I don't mind admitting this place is by far the hardest dungeon for us. Obviously the trash waves are easy but certain bosses just seem disproportionately hard. The problem is the mechanics of the place are awful - you wipe you have to run it all again, so when we get a nasty boss that wipes us (shadow one that spwans adds is worst for us, sorry I don't do boss names) people give up. Also the RNG on the boss spawns is odd - think I've run abut 20 times and never had the doggie.

I've given up attempting guild runs as it's simply not a fun design or place to run.

Like it or loath it, dungeons like this are a dream for Blizz - very little effort in developing one room.
Discus

Postby Vanifae » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:18 am

It's a very simple dungeon, I am surprised that a guild that finds other heroics easy finds this one so hard.
Vanifae

Postby Viycktor » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:29 pm

I've run it twice, only on heroic, pugs once, and friends who hadn't run it the second time.

We didn't wipe, but we did lose some people. Not knowing some of the fights can cause some bad dps/healer death if they go into it from the 'stay away from the boss while he tanks and I dps/heal' mindset. It's when a boss pops out that nobody's seen before that can cause trouble.

Fortunately, most of the bosses don't hit hard enough for you to really need a healer as long as you blow your CDs and your dps is on the ball. ;)
Viycktor

Postby Akairos » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:28 pm

Discus wrote:Interesting - last time I ran this with the guild healer he said he'd run it with lots of PUGs and we were doing it wrong i.e. on orb boss we shouldn't kite across the landing as we'd always done as the healer couldnt keep me in los.

TBH it ended up with a rare guild fall-out and I vowed not to return to the place. Even if you find Heroic VH easy it's just not a fun dungeon and causes more fights between guildies/PUGs than any other dungeon (chiefly because of the horrible wipe and have to re-run mechanic)

I say boycott the place, otherwise it just encourages Blizz to add more like it :wink: After all it's far less work to create a Violet Hold/Black Morass than a proper dungeon.

there should be an instance like this in every xpac, I like this dungeon set up, simple, quick, pretty good fun. Good for dicking around in.
The subtle tongue, the decieving guile,
they fail when the broadswords sing
Come in an die dogs...I was a man before I was king!
Maintankadin of <Inconceivable>
Akairos

Previous

Return to General Strats