[25] Kel'Thuzad's Crypt Lords

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25] Kel'Thuzad's Crypt Lords

Postby honorshammer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:46 am

We started on KT last night and I was OT. My role was to pick up the 4 Crypt Lords that show up around 40% or so.

I had no end of trouble getting all 4 under control before at least one would kill a healer or DPS.

What we ended up having to do was have a Druid go Bear and he got 2 and I got 2.

Do you have any advice on quickly picking up all 4?
honorshammer

Re: [25] Kel'Thuzad

Postby Kynes » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:48 am

Honorshammer wrote:We started on KT last night and I was OT. My role was to pick up the 4 Crypt Lords that show up around 40% or so.

I had no end of trouble getting all 4 under control before at least one would kill a healer or DPS.

What we ended up having to do was have a Druid go Bear and he got 2 and I got 2.

Do you have any advice on quickly picking up all 4?

Use two tanks or two misdirects. I find it hard to imagine one tank picking up all 4 adds without aggro being an issue (at first). The 4 adds shouldn't be your sole responsibility imo.
Kynes of the Nightfall - Darkspear
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ar&n=Kynes

Eversteel used to tank uphill both ways in the snow.
Kynes

Postby Pallypete » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:52 am

Solotanking all 4 adds will be damn near impossible unless you severely outgear the encounter. Even if you do, there's still a chance of getting insta-gibbed. Having all 4 blood tap after a bunch of buffs and getting hit by an AOE frostbolt will make short work of you. Tanking 3 is doable but still gets pretty rough by the time KT's almost dead. Far better for you to split them up 2 and 2.
Pallypete

Postby theckhd » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:42 am

You can tank all 4, but as pete said it helps immensely to outgear it. I wouldn't suggest trying it on progression fights, just get a 2nd off-tank and each take 2.

That being said, if you do end up having to pick up all 4 (i.e. your other OT died and you don't have any more battle rez), you can use a variety of tricks.
  • Misdirect is an obvious one if you have a Hunter.
  • You have 2 taunts on 8 second cooldowns. The spawns are more than 5 seconds apart. Technically this should be all you need, just alternate taunts, and slap each new one with a Judgement or SotR when they get close enough. Once they're on you HotR and a few stacks of Vengeance or Consecrate ticks will be enough to keep them.
  • Positioning helps a lot here. We tank KT near the middle of the room, and the adds spawn from the two alcoves on either side of his throne. It's random though, so you might get 3 on one side and 1 from another. If I'm off-tanking, I usually do it at his throne, so I have range to taunt from either side.
  • Sometimes with that positioning they'll target a healer that's out of Righteous Defense range. I usually save AS as a fallback for this purpose rather than using it to pick up the first one. Alternatively, if you have a paladin healing you, have him put up RF halfway through the fight and just taunt directly off of him.
  • Grenades or other bomb-like consumables would probably be enough to grab initial aggro
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Wolvar » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:15 am

You should always plan for 2 offtanks and they should both have aggro on all 4. We tank them in the back of the room behind the rest of the raid and far away from Kel.

Tanking all 4 is definitely doable tho risky due to frost blast. I tanked Kel plus all 4 adds when our OT's died from about 30% on our first progression kill.
Wolvar

Postby Holyfuri » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:05 am

I usually MT KT, and we have our warrior and DK tank pick up the adds.

Our warrior takes the left, our DK takes teh right, and we have a hunter assigned to each side as well. This allows you to quickly get control of all the adds.

When we were learning it we had our feral druid go bear form at the same time to help any loose pickups. Just pick em up, then let the tanks taunt them off him when they get ready. It's just another fallback. A feral in cat gear can tank them at the beginning very easily, so temporarily using 3 tanks is a possibility as well.
Holyfuri

Postby Belloc » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:02 am

The adds generally come from alternating sides, if I am not mistaken. I usually exorcism one of them and run to the other side to avenger shield another. Run back and taunt the next one, and then run back and taunt the 4th one. With all 4 on you, hit holy wrath and then do your think. I usually just target KT at this point and interrupt occasional frost bolts with exorcism.

Misdirects and tricks of the trade (if you can get your rogues to actually do it) are insanely helpful. Actually surviving all 4 of them shouldn't be a problem for any group with decent healers. The only problem you can really have is if you get frost blasted (ice blocked, or whatever).
Belloc

Postby Nalyn » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:39 pm

As others have said, while it is doable, and we do have the ranged cooldowns to be able to pick up all the adds, why? There's a good bit of risk involved in tanking all 4 adds, espicially as their damage buff stack grows, and if you get MC'ed, or frost blasted, chances are it's game over for the raid. Lot easier to just use 2 tanks, one cover pick ups on each side, and then stack the mobs near each other, so you can use some AE abilities to get agro on all of them. That way if one of the tanks does go down, or gets MC'ed, then the mobs will fall over to the other tank, who will likely need to be quick with their shield wall button.
Nalyn

Postby theckhd » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Belloc wrote:The adds generally come from alternating sides, if I am not mistaken.

I thought this too, until last night when they spawned Left, Right, Left, Left. Luckily the other OT picked it up for me while I was trying to figure out where it went.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby MrDuck » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:58 pm

Well as Belloc said, they come from alternating sides, i've offtanked 'em only once, but i just frisbee'd the 1st one coming from left,ran to the right, exorcism, back to left, by that time the add is just getting to the raid so i taunt,and second taunt goes for the last one.

The only danger, imo, is taking frost blast.

However, i'm usually MTing, and i dunno why, even though we clear naxx without a wipe, so we shouldnt be that bad, our offtank died on every kill 'cept one, so i quickly grab attention of the adds and tank kel'thuzad and all 4 adds for last 25-25%, never died on that :o (actually,once i did,when i ate a 30k frostbolt from kel)
MrDuck

Postby Panzerdin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:34 pm

My advice would be... Don't.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Dorvan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:42 pm

As others have said, 2 offtanks is highly recommended, especially when your DPS isn't totally geared out yet. Once they've built up several stacks of their enrage, 4 guardians can put out some nasty burst.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Playdoh » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:37 am

I have noticed here recently, that there is not a pattern to the spawn points.

There are 4 portals, and they randomly spawn in one of the 4 portals, 5 seconds apart from the next one.

So the easiest thing to do is have 2 OT's one for each side, to just pick up whatever is on that side.

If you get an odd situation that all 4 come from the same side, one of the OT's can just taunt at that point after everything is picked up.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:35 am

We usually use two, last night we had a messy kill and my girlfriend had to two both of them. The other paladin was supposed to tank KT but he died so I was on Kel'Thuzad and she picked them up solo... it was a messy though.

I think two tanks on them is the way to go for safety.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby inthedrops » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:11 am

I can confirm that they don't spawn evenly all the time. The last time I tanked this, three adds spawned near me and only one spawned near the other tank add tank.

Healers need to be ready to shift extra healing on one of the add tanks if this happens.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon