Remove Advertisements

Sartharion + 3: Tank-perspective guide

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Sartharion + 3: Tank-perspective guide

Postby Worldie » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:19 pm

After (finally) downing him, i decided i can bother myself writing a guide for this for quick reference.
Note: most informations on this fight are well known, but i'm going to focus on what you need to successfully tank this fight, in either of the 3 parts.

I'm going to divide the guide in 2 parts, one for 25 and one for 10. They are very similar but the 10 men is significantly harder and gear demanding.

Alright, i'll use my usual style for this.

25 MEN

==================BASICS==================
The basis of this fight are simple: you fight Sartharion, and the 3 drakes that land at scripted times.
The challenges of the fight are the following:
- As the Sartharion tank, survive the Breaths of doom
- As the Drake tank, survive them and hold threat from DPS bloodlusting from the first moment
- As the add-tank, prevent whelps and flames from raping your healers.
The fight is tecnically won when Shadron (the second drake) dies. The hardest part of the fight is when Shadron and Vesperon are both active.
Common "benchmarks" are killing Tenebron before Shadron lands, and killing Shadron before you run out of cooldowns. Bloodlust/Heroism is generally used either on Tenebron, or on Shadron. Using it on Shadron makes the fight significantly easier if your DPS can handle it (aka, can kill Tenebron before Shadron lands without BL/Hero). If even with such cooldowns, your raid can't kill Tenebron before Shadron lands, either get competent DPS or farm more gear: the fight is a DPS race.
Finally, as a reminder, each drake grants the raid the following debuffs:
Tenebron: http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=61248
Shadron: http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=58105
Vesperon: http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=61251
Acolyte of Shadron: http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=58766 (on Sartharion)
Acolyte of Vesperon: http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=58835

What should you tank: If you have very quick reflexes, adds. Addtanking is definitively the hardest job on this fight. Differently from the easy mode, the adds will rape your healers very quick, since the healers got 25% less hp, and the adds are hitting 100% harder. Expect up to 7-8k melees from enraged blazes and still 2-4k melees from non enraged ones. Differently from clothies, paladins can block most of this damage, making them the most effective addtank.
If your reflexes aren't optimal but you are good at threat, you should be on drakes. Paladins are great at bursting threat.
Tanking Sartharion should be your last option: a Druid with dedicate gear, or a DK would be way better.

==================TANKING SARTHARION==================
Well... we didn't have a tank DK, and our Druid had connection issues, so we did it with myself. Paladins apparently can tank.

The positioning: You will drag Sartharion at the start of the platform. Since i can't be arsed making a graph (lazyness ftw) i just took a picture:
The safe spots for lava waves are the following:
Note that the white spot is exactly on the edge of the wave, a few more steps to the left would get you caught in the lava. It's very important to be at the edge of the right one, because you will risk getting out of range from healers, possibly resulting in your death if he breaths in that moment.

The Breaths of Doom: Sartharion breath hits hard. It's the tank killer on this fight.
Let's make a quick overview on the breath damage:
  • Base damage: 11k-14k
  • Power of Shadron: 22k-28k
  • Acolyte of Shadron: 33k-42k
  • Twilight Torment: 57k-74k
With the Paladin ~18% magical damage reduction, 46k-60k is the maximum damage potential you can expect from the breath.
The so called Breaths of Doom are when both Vesperon and Shadron are active and both their Acolytes are summoned. If your raid DPS is enough, you shouldn't face more than 3-4 of those.

Surviving the Breaths of Doom: First, you need HP. You are going to need 30k+ HP after Vesperon aura, which translates in 40k+ HP raidbuffed. I did it with 44k, slightly crittable (like 0.2%), but a melee crit i could afford, a oneshot not. Second, you need cooldowns, and a good healer. A (couple of) good healer, cause you will still take up to 30k damage and you'll need to be healed through that quick. Discipline priest is a huge plus, their shields can cut away up to 8-9k of the damage of the shield. Cooldowns, cause you would not survive 60k damage with only 30k HP.
You will need to set up a cooldown rotation, each involved person must know what and when to use it. For us, we assigned a order, i'd just call on vent "First, Second, Third, ...". We made it work like this:
- First breath, i called "Using first", popped Divine Protection, then said "prepare second".
- The Discipline priest has in focus, as soon as he sees Sarth casting he casts Pain Suppression on me, i say "Second used, prepare third".
- Ret Paladin targets me with Sarth in focus, as soon as he see him casting he istantly Sacrifices me and Bubbles himself, while i say "Third used, prepare fourth", etc.
This means, you can't just "chain use" cooldowns. The people who have to must use them when it's the moment. It's almost impossible to just "react", the breath is barely 2 seconds of cast time and comes at random intervals (we had a attempt where he didn't breath at all for like 40 seconds), having them to "react to your reaction" is going nowhere.
A list of the available cooldowns is down here:
  • Death Knight: Anti-Magic Zone (minor)
  • Hunter: Roar of Sacrifice (minor)
  • Priest: Guardian Spirit, Pain Suppression
  • Paladin: Divine Protection (only yours), Hand of Sacrifice+Divine Shield (minor), Hand of Sacrifice+Divine Guardian
Note: the ones with "minor" aren't enough alone, you need two of them at same time to survive the worse possible breath, altho one alone might be enough if you resist part of the breath and have a good PW:S or Divine Aegis. Note that Paladins using Hand of Sacrifice on you must bubble themselves or they will get oneshotted.
Also as last detail, use Fire Resist Aura: resisting even 10-20% of the breath is a huge deal there.

==================TANKING DRAKES==================
Alright, this is all about burst threat and awareness to move away from flames and void zones.. Drakes always land in the same 3 places.

The positioning: Your position will change during the fight.
- Tenebron landing: You head at the landing spot at the edge of the platform.
- Tenebron landed: You will tank him there. If you get a lava wave you should dip into the magma with the melees, this will just make you get a bit of fire damage (non significant), but will allow the melee to keep damaging the drake during the lava wave.
- Shadron landing: Tenebron should be dead or almost dead at this point: head at the spawn point at the left edge (from the entrance), bring Tenebron with you if it's still alive and be careful to not get anyone breathed.
- Shadron landed: Tank Shadron on the landing spot, move accordingly to lava waves, be very careful to not go too close to Sartharion or you'll get oneshotted by the breath.
- Vesperon landing: Shadron will still be alive, and you need to cross the whole platform to get to the landing spot: wait until a breath, then run to the other side as fast as you can.
- Vesperon landed: Tank both drakes at the new landing point, moving according to the waves. This is the part of the fight where the raid is taking more damage, so be ready to use your cooldowns here.
- All dragons dead: You're done for a bit, help picking up elementals, expecially at last 10%.
Blow your Avenging Wrath toghether with the Bloodlust/Heroism.

Gearing: You need as much threat as possible: priorize block value and hit over everything else. Make sure to keep a decent amount of HP however, you will be getting 2x 8-9k breaths at same time while tanking the last 2 drakes, so you will want to still be at 23k+ HP with the aura (translated in 30k+ HP normally)

==================ADD-TANKING==================
This is the hardest part of the fight: Paladins aren't really the most suited for it, but we do it very well if you focus on it.

The Whelps: Whelps are going to be your worse nightmare: they always spawn at the same spot, around 10-15 seconds after Tenebron emotes that the eggs are being hatched. However, few of them will generally end up ignoring your consecration and will go raping your priests. Also you can have a lava wave spawning exactly when whelps are going to spawn. Your best bet is to place a consecration on top of the portal and then istantly running to a safe spot. It's not always possible but you should have enough time.

The Art of picking up flames: I say "the Art" since it really is. Paladins nowadays are the king of long ranged pickups.
You will have to juggle between your skills.
  • Avenger Shield: Save it for adds spawning far, possibly in groups of 2-3.
  • Judgement: Close range aggroer, use Seal of Blood or Righteousness, not Corruption/Vengeance. The judgement will hit harder giving you more chances to get them off the healer. Use Judgement for the flames passing close.
  • Shield of Righteousness: Use this to get a flame close to you but on someone else.
  • Hammer of the Righteous: Don't use this much, use it if you are trying to get 1-3 mobs off someone and everything else is on CD.
  • Consecration: Whelp pickup. After Whelps aren't important anymore (aka, Tenebron dead), feel free to spam this wherever you like. However, the best use is generally laying it and then going somewhere else, so you are sure there's your AoE ticking for a few seconds on that part while you go taking that enraged flame who is trying to put your trees on fire.
  • Righteous Defense: Your best friend: abuse of it on healers, expecially for whelps.
  • Hand of Reckoning: I can't stop saying how awesome this is for this job: off GCD, 30 yd range, 8 sec cd, feel free to spam it.
  • Hammer of Justice: Well, use this if you got everything on cooldown, even your taunts, and that flame is STILL raping your healer.

Gearing: Block. Plenty of it. As much block value and rating you can get, without nerfing your HP too much. As in every AoEtanking situation, you are going to take plenty of small hits (well, enraged flames don't count), so holy shield + redoubt will be excellent. Judge as often as possible to keep Libram of Obstruction up.

That's all i can think of... good luck if you dare, this fight is very amusing and definitively worth doing ;)
Last edited by Worldie on Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Worldie » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:19 pm

Reserved for 10 men guide.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby imapler » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:42 am

tnx alot, im the add tank in our guild and i think this will help me alot :D
imapler

Postby MrDuck » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:05 am

Thanks. I assigned myself as the add tank either, 'cos we have a DK to tank sarth, and well, the other pally tried it once and seems to be having nightmares from that :P

Anyway, it's HARD, seriously.. we didnt kill it with even +2 yet, 'cos people just freaking fail on waves with vesperon's acolyte up, fail on void zones and such -.- But gathering these adds is the hardest thing i've ever tanked :/ I'm using Seal of Light there, to hammer mobs in front of me when new adds or whelps spawn, so i have a little bit of threat on them, what do ya think about it?
MrDuck

Postby Worldie » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:42 am

Seal of Light is a option, but however you lose judgement threat since it's the lowest judgement damage.
Consider that the more adds are spawned, the less threat you generate through healing.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby amh » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:47 am

Where are naughty-pics of Worldie?
Last edited by amh on Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Re: Sartharion + 3: Tank-perspective guide

Postby Sanctity » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:52 am

Worldie wrote:
  • Death Knight: Anti-Magic Zone (minor)
  • Hunter: Roar of Sacrifice (minor)
  • Priest: Guardian Spirit, Pain Suppression
  • Paladin: Divine Protection (only yours), Hand of Sacrifice+Divine Shield (minor), Hand of Sacrifice+Divine Guardian
Note: the ones with "minor" aren't enough alone, you need two of them at same time to survive the worse possible breath, altho one alone might be enough if you resist part of the breath and have a good PW:S or Divine Aegis. Note that Paladins using Hand of Sacrifice on you must bubble themselves or they will get oneshotted.
Also as last detail, use Fire Resist Aura: resisting even 10-20% of the breath is a huge deal there.

Last stand and the Dr00d equiv should feture here aswell, surely they + a minor wud work or is this writen only from a pally perspective?
I think the trick's that you made someone proud.
Sanctity

Postby Worldie » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:58 am

It's just pally-side.

For information, the Survival Istinct alone is not enough to survive the biggest possible breath, in case of druid tank he needs SI+Barkskin.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Worldie » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:02 am

amh wrote:Gearing for add-tanking (not drakes): as high toward passive uncrush as possible is just sexy here. I´m sat at around 85% for this, only thing that can hurt me is an enraged elemental. Might be worth mentioning :)
I was sure i was missing something, but at 4 am i was sleepy :D

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Dragondin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:07 am

As Add Tank and if there are no retri, would you use Retribution or Devotion Aura?
I mean, is it worth to use Retribution Aura for threat on adds who already attack you?
Dragondin

Postby amh » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:14 am

No, it´s not needed. When twilight torment is up you just spam holy shield and consecration so you don´t kill yourself. Devotion-aura is really good here, especially since the whelps give you an armor-debuff, so I´d grade that over ret-aura any day. If you can have both; good. Else, devo > ret.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby MrDuck » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:52 am

Hmm actually, i'd think about ret aura as playing against you. Not like i'd turn it off when we have a ret, but it adds threat to people attacked and not to you (talking these adds beating on your healers), it's not much but well, having the +heal and armor from devo aura is better, and also helps clothies if a loose whelp gets there.
MrDuck

Re: Sartharion + 3: Tank-perspective guide

Postby Belzebina » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:06 am

Allo!

Worldie wrote:Gearing: Block. Plenty of it. As much block value and rating you can get, without nerfing your HP too much. As in every AoEtanking situation, you are going to take plenty of small hits (well, enraged flames don't count), so holy shield + redoubt will be excellent. Judge as often as possible to keep Libram of Obstruction up.

How much of block value and block %?

1586 bv and 26.28% without buffs, i can push to... 1746 with the correct setup.

By bye!
Belzebina

Postby Worldie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:15 am

It's tecnically fine, 1800+ raidbuffed without counting the Libram should mitigate a grand part of the damage.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby theckhd » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:36 am

I've done it in the past with about 1800 raid buffed, but the higher the better. Now I run at around 2k raid buffed, pre-libram, and it's noticeably reduced the healing I require.

I forget what my block % is in that gear (it's my "trash-tanking" set), but it's relatively high. This is probably the one fight in the game at the moment where gearing towards passive un-hittability really really pays off.

A few notes from my experiences add-tanking:
  • I'm not sure I agree with Worldie about Seals. I usually use Vengeance. The Judgement won't hit as hard, but if your reflexes are good a blaze is rarely up long enough for it to take more than one Judgement to solidify aggro. If one's been up for more than a few seconds and I haven't gotten it yet, I just taunt and smack it with something. When there's nothing to pick up, I cycle through the mobs I have with tab-targetting to build extra stacks of vengeance via auto-attack and an occasional HotR. The extra DPS is also nice - you can actually kill the first few blazes that spawn, reducing your damage intake during the whelp phase. In any event, I don't think that which seal you use will make or break this encounter too much.
  • If your positioning is such that your healers can stay close to you, HotR is actually pretty useful. If you can get into melee range of a blaze, SoR and HotR are preferable because they leave your ranged cooldowns free for stuff that's farther away. Also, I often see multiple blazes go for the same healer (because of a lucky crit or whatnot), and one HotR can pick up several of them, as you suggested.
  • Train your healers to use Consecrate. I keep Consecrate up around 80% of the time, usually near the healers unless Tenebron's portal is up. Getting them to stand close enough that they're in the edge of a consecrate or can run through it quickly to transfer aggro can save you a lot of trouble.
  • Enraged blazes:
    • Before Tenebron is dead, try and avoid these as much as possible. In other words, move to a safe spot early, so that you give the blazes time to catch up. Having attentive Hunters is a plus, they can Tranq one every so often without disrupting their DPS too much, but you really want everyone to be going all-out on Tenebron, not cleaning up your messes.
    • It may be worth having one Rogue put Anesthetic poison on both weapons. One Fan of Knives is enough to put down an entire group of enraged blazes. We've had this save an attempt on more than one occasion. The disadvantage here is that it takes his DPS away from the drakes, so pick your lowest-dps Rogue for this.
  • The whelp spawn seems to be timed very precisely to coincide with a lava wall. There's about a 3-4 second period between whelps spawning and a giant fiery wall-o-death. I can't think of a single attempt where this was not the case. This is quite possibly the most crucial part of the fight, because if you mess this up, it'll probably be a wipe.
    • For a "center clear" fire wall, it's easy. Just stand by the portal, slightly offset from it between yourself and the healers. The portal should be in the outer half of the consecration radius. Drop Consecrate when the flame wall happens (or when DBM yells "Run away, little girl!"), and back up a few steps to the safe zone. Most of the whelps will come right to you. Those that don't can be picked up pretty easily.
    • For a "sides clear" fire wall, it's trickier. The portal is on the east side of the island closer to Sarth, and the healers are usually on the west side. Drop the consecrate in the same place as before, and run to one of the sides. East has the advantage of being a shorter run, so you can hold off longer on consecrate to make sure it's still ticking when they spawn, but you'll be farther from your healers, so you have to pay close attention to blaze spawns on the other side that you likely can't see. West puts you closer to the healers, but makes the run a bit longer (but doable).
  • For the part of the fight pre- and post-whelps, you'll be moving all over the place, picking up loose blazes, probably running around like a headless chicken. While the whelps are up though, this is a patently bad idea. You run a very serious risk of accidentally opening yourself up to attacks from behind while moving that many mobs around, even while strafing. Slowly backpedaling works, but not much more movement than that. Rely on your ranged abilities to grab stuff and bring it to you at this point.
  • Consecration and Holy Shield are more than enough aggro to keep the whelps on you while everyone's finishing up Tenebron. Just keep those up and use your other spare cooldowns to establish aggro on new blazes.
  • Once the DPS shifts to AoE-ing the whelps and Blazes, pop wings. The most difficult thing about this part is that new blazes will wander into the AoE and the mages (any aoe really, but it always seems to be the mages in my guild) will pull aggro. Popping wings helps prevent this, both through AoE damage and the extra damage from Judgement / AS / etc on loose blazes.
  • Add-tanking this fight is difficult simply because there is so much going on. Blazes can be hard to see against an all-red background. I turn off a good chunk of my UI just to get a clearer view of what's going on - turn off MSBT, hide recount, etc. Basically anything that's not necessary to do my job gets turned off or hidden.
  • We have occasionally used Frost Traps on the middle of the island while we were testing out strategies. Results were mixed - it resulted in more enraged blazes (bad), but boy were they easy to see on a pristine white background. Nowadays we just drop one on the AOE spot once Tenebron is dead, which seems to reduce AoE-aggro-induced blaze deaths (because I have more time to pick them back up before they get to the casters).
  • We have everyone else turn their spell effects down to low, because it hides all the pally/DK ground AoE, but doesn't hide void zones. Do NOT do this yourself. You need to be able to see your own consecration, as well as the blizzard area of effect during the AoE dps phase.
  • I tend to try and hover near the middle of the island, facing south-southwest. By doing so, you can stand in the safe zone for the walls coming from the north, you can keep an eye on the melee and healers in case blazes get to them, and you can see the waves coming from the south far enough ahead of time to move out of them. If you wait till someone announces what direction they're coming from on vent, it's probably too late. Pop bubblewall and pray for heals.
  • Once Shadron and Vesperon are being tanked on the north side of the island, I usually swap this around and face north, moving back and forth between "side clear" zones.

That's all pally-specific info, as for general suggestions for other guild/raid leaders:
  • We run this encounter with 3 tanks and 6 healers. We found it was the only reliable way to get enough DPS on Tenebron to kill him in time. We found that the people dying during the Tenebron burn were all getting one-shotted for stupid reasons, and a 7th healer really didn't help that much.
  • Ideally Tenebron should be below 30% when Shadron lands, the lower the better. Now that our team is used to the encounter, we can even have one or two dps die during the Tenebron burn and still beat the encounter with relative ease. Be forewarned that this will put a larger stress on your tanks and healers though.
  • Use of Heroism/Bloodlust will depend a lot on your DPS. We prefer to save it for Shadron to minimize the time we have to deal with cooldown rotations on the Sarth tank. Basically, we go Tenebron -> AoE whelps -> pop Hero and go all-out on Shadron before Vesperon lands. However, if you need hero to get Tenebron down before a second set of whelps, that's preferable, though the rest of the encounter will be much harder. You should also use it on Tenebron if you're not starting dps on Shadron until Vesperon is about to land. Heroism + Twilight Torment is an evil, evil combination. Many over-eager melee have died to bring you this message.
  • As for the Shadron->Vesperon transition, instead of going straight through the island, we have the drake tank move Shadron along the edge of the island clockwise while people are AoE-ing the whelps. This means that when they go to start in on Shadron, he's stationary at the Vesperon landing spot and we don't lose any DPS time to movement.
  • This fight really messes with the "bring the player, not the class" paradigm. On the one hand, you need to bring players who are smart and attentive, so they don't stand in void zones or lava walls. Not killing themselves via Twilight Torment is a plus as well.
  • On the other hand, for learning you really want Heroism/Bloodlust. Despite Blizzard's contention that it is an "optional" buff, it is not. It makes a huge difference in how the fight goes, [b]especially[b] when you're on the verge of learning it. On our early attempts, the difference between a Heroism and non-Heroism attempt was startling. Can you do it without Hero? Yes, but it'll take a lot longer, and make the already high DPS check even tighter.
  • You also want to make sure your raid is properly stacked to bring all available buffs. The fight favors caster dps a little for a number of reasons. Make sure you have a Moonkin for the extra spell damage, your mages will thank you. An elemental shaman is nice too. Have people respec as necessary for this.
  • Get comfortable asking people to sit. We found that sometimes, you just have to sit the player who stands in void zones 5 attempts in a row. Threatening the raid with this ahead of time, provided you have a few good alternates to swap in, is a strong motivator for people to quit being lazy.
  • If you're reading this, you're probably a pally tank. This means you'll probably end up add-tanking, either because everyone thinks you're best-suited to this job (debatable, my kingdom for a Thunderclap and all that), or because you don't trust any of your other players to do it well enough. You really do need one of your best tanks on this job, since all the others require less movement and less deviation from their usual tank-and-spank rotations.
    Alternatively, you could be blessed with an excellent tanking crew, but can't convince any of them to try add-tanking because the concept gives them nightmares.
  • Once you find a good solid setup, stick with it. Possibly the hardest part of add-tanking is learning how to do it all efficiently and effectively, and it's something that's only improved with practice. I'm stuck tanking adds all the time now, because my options are either do it myself and one-shot the encounter, or force someone else to do it (the joys of being GM and raid leader) and suffer through an hour or two of wipes while they learn the ropes.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, at least right now. We haven't done this since last Tuesday, and we one-shot the encounter, so I'm sure I'm not remembering all of the many possible difficulties one can run into here.

I will say this is the most challenging fight I think I've had to tank. It takes a lot of attention - you can't let your brain wander off for even a few seconds, because it's enough to get someone killed. It's also the most stressful as a result. I'd say it's possibly the most fun, but in all honesty it's the fight I look forward to least each week, just because a few errors on anybody's part can lead to a wipe, and end up turning a 40-minute clear into a several-hour grind. Plus, I still have a soft spot for the Heigan dance.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Call to Arms 5.x, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Next

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon