Remove Advertisements

Dusting off my tankadin, need some encouragement…

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Dusting off my tankadin, need some encouragement…

Postby Kavod » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:27 pm

Hey guys. :D First of all I've lurked a bit on this site but until just now I haven't actually made an account. (Yeah, I'm in a lecture and really bored.) This is a great site and thanks for all the information you spread to aspiring Prot Pallies like myself. ^^

Anyway, I just wanted to discuss some of my feelings (QQ, hormonal imbalance, maybe?) about my tanking experience so far, and maybe get a feel for how my future as a tank could be.

Basically I rolled my Prot Pally about this time last year because I read about the spec and fell in love with it. Everything about Tankadins' mechanics and style was really impressive to me, and I still feel the same way. I tanked through content from 1-70 without any problems and loved every minute of it.

However, once I hit 70 (before WotLK) I found that people had greater expectations for me than I could live up to right away. I had a few bad groups that were very impatient with my need to drink pretty frequently (hunter MDing me all the way through without my permission until I had to boot him…) and I didn't feel like I knew my way around dungeons and how to tank them that much. I got frustrated and disheartened and rolled a Shadow Priest on a new server shortly after.

Now that my Shadow Priest is level 80 and making her way through Naxx, I've decided that it's about time I get back into tanking. To be a good tank was something that I always really wanted, and I have always loved my Pally to little tiny bits and he doesn't deserve to be shelved.

After running UK and Nex a few times, I'm feeling pretty good but I don't feel as "pro" yet as I do when I'm playing my Shadow Priest. My question to all of you is, have any of you felt the same kind of inadequacy? And does being a pro tank come in time even to those of us who don't always feel on top of things or like we're always in command?

I think part of my problem too is I have to realize that not every failed run is my fault, sometimes it IS my healer's or DPS's fault. But we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for any general thoughts or experiences you wanna share while becoming a better tank. My computer is running out of battery but I'm Kavod on Medivh-US if you wanna armory me.

Thanks =)
Kavod

Postby ulushnar » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:45 pm

There's no big secret, it's just practice and confidence. Knowing how to do the fight and also how to compensate when something happens.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Arcand » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:02 pm

Your build looks okay to me. What were you going to do with the next eight points?

Nothing wrong with the gear, either, although you could pick up over 1000 health for about 100 gold if you wanted. Get some Heavy Borean Armor Kits and slap them on everywhere, you can get those for around 10g apiece from what I've seen.

Or spend around 50-60g and you can get one of the weaker leg armors for a bigger boost there. (I'm not saying to neglect your defense; don't do that. But you're light on health and that's relatively cheap and simple to correct.)

Getting settled in the instances is about doing some quick reading on them so you know about the really major gotchas, then running them, screwing up, running them again and not screwing up the same way again. If you mark targets and set the fastest pace you can, you can usually keep people from getting so impatient that they feel the need to run ahead themselves.

Good luck. Let us know how it's going.
Arcand

Re: Dusting off my tankadin, need some encouragement…

Postby Doogiehowser » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:08 pm

Kavod wrote: My question to all of you is, have any of you felt the same kind of inadequacy? And does being a pro tank come in time even to those of us who don't always feel on top of things or like we're always in command?

Sure I feel that, everytime I step into a heroic knowing we could wipe.

The inadequacy will go away when you find people that you like playing with. PuGs create a high level of tension. People think they are pro, or their dps is elite or they know the best strategy.

Ulu said it best about experience. I've learned best from a wipe and looking back at the combat log to see if I didn't react/do the right thing or what not.

Roll on over to the gear page here at maintankadin. Many people before you and I had it all figured out at the lower levels. My only two suggestions would be to buy some cheap Borean Armor pieces and slap them on for some easy stamina. Helps with your survivability and your threat.

Also, spend your points now in JotJ (Judgment of the Just). It's our cheapest and best mitigating talent in the whole game. Just remember to judge though :)
Doogiehowser

Postby Jaydin » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:35 pm

attitude has a decent impact on your tanking. being confident will keep impatient dps in line. gear comes with content, skill comes from practice, but confidence is something newer tanks need to develop. i'm a recruiter for our guild atm, and me and the other main tank specifically turn down tanks that cannot react quickly to changing situations. if i say "chain pull" or "alternate pulls with me...keep it moving" in naxx 25 and we always have to wait 10 seconds after my mob dies before he pulls...probably doesn't have the reflexes or confidence i'd like to have in my tanks.

a lot of the attitude you got @ 70 seems like it was a ways after we as a community got accepted as kings of aoe tanking etc. unfortunately for you, real aoe tanking need(ed)s decent gear before you used to charge into heroic SH yelling "doing this in 15 minutes! better keep up!"... since wrath is still *relatively* new, as long as you focus on grabbing 540 defense and adequately gearing yourself up you'll be fine ^_^
Jaydin

Postby Wolvar » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:37 pm

I never understood the stress some people seem to feel while tanking. Who cares if you die, especially in this game. It ain't like you lose 8 hours of xp and have to make a 20 minute naked run through hostile mobs to get your corpse.
Wolvar

Postby Arcand » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:08 pm

Wolvar wrote:I never understood the stress some people seem to feel while tanking. Who cares if you die, especially in this game. It ain't like you lose 8 hours of xp and have to make a 20 minute naked run through hostile mobs to get your corpse.

Nothing's bad after you've died in a really rough spot in EverQuest.
Arcand

Postby Arnock » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:08 pm

I hit 70 a month or so before sunwell hit, so I found breaking into heroics and kara to be a major pain, seeing as all the dps were used to being carried by t5+tanks

Just spend some more time in normal, and try to run with a guild, people you know are usually more forgiving than those in PuGs

also, make sure they know that it's your first time in the instance and whatnot.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Return to Basic Training & Talents