+500 spell on Void Reaver?

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

+500 spell on Void Reaver?

Postby Griffonheart » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:11 am

A friend of mine said his GM has a Prot paladin and his main is a Prot warrior (MT). My friend said that they have aggro issues at Void Reaver so I suggested them to use a pally tank. However, he said his GM claimed that even with +500 spell damage (perhaps with JotC?) he couldn't hold aggro as good as his warrior. I added that a lot of BT level Prot pally I saw only have 400ish and they do fine at those places.

How much +spell did you guys use for VR? It's odd, I heard some pallys did so well they could keep the aggro even after VR dump it, and here is a Prot pally who said he can't hold aggro with +500 spell O_O
True Voyage is Return

Griffonheart

Postby Io.Draco » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:32 am

hmm , 260 ( food + oil ) + totem and shadow priest , spam everything u got though :D
Io.Draco

Postby Mortehl » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:36 am

I'm over 600 spell damage before SoTC. When my trinket procs and with a wrath of air totem up, I'm coming really close to 1k spell damage.

Coincidently, I can hold VR for almost the entire fight now :D
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Griffonheart » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:00 am

I told my friend last night that his GM gotta be pretty new to pally tanking, he said his GM is not a newb >_> now come to think of it, I tank with about 200 +spell without other raid buffs and I am sure DPS of my guild are not one bit inferior compare to theirs...

Yeah, his GM sux.
True Voyage is Return

Griffonheart

Postby Warrender » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:19 am

Holding aggro on VR isn't as simple as just showing up to the fight with 500 spell damage.

You still have to work for it.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby sissylala » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:37 am

ive tanked vr with only 200 spell damage the first time i did it since i was scared LOL but even then it was a joke. just have to pay attention and spam what you got. also tell him to stop worrying about mana. the number 1 mistake pally tanks do is get scared of going oom.
sissylala

Postby Dorvan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:48 am

Spell damage helps a lot on the fight (I'm at a little over 400 buffed not including JotC for VR), but you still have to know what you're doing: when to pop AW, when to downrank consecrate, make sure your popping mana potions every cooldown, etc... It's non-trivial, but I can build aggro as well as any of other other tanks during that fight even when I'm not the first tank.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Rhaenys » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:03 am

Dorvan wrote:Spell damage helps a lot on the fight (I'm at a little over 400 buffed not including JotC for VR), but you still have to know what you're doing: when to pop AW, when to downrank consecrate, make sure your popping mana potions every cooldown, etc... It's non-trivial, but I can build aggro as well as any of other other tanks during that fight even when I'm not the first tank.

Same here. Plus with a shammy in the group, I was able to build aggro real quick, especially late into the fight. Time your pots early, and once you get aggro, you shouldnt have any oom problems.
Rhaenys

Postby Worldie » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:25 am

500 spelldam was enough to hold it for 82% of the fight for me.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Vic » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:49 am

i have around 500-650 during my VR Fights, which does fine for me, i tend to actually Keep VR on me most of the time even when i am never the one that gets misdirect (this makes me sad, but even with Misdirect on another tank i am able to keep him on me for a good amount of the fight.)
Pally / 70 / Stormscale
Vic

Postby Invisusira » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:07 am

I just have my 290 spell damage (glad gavel + enchant + ring enchants) and have absolutely no problems on VR. Your GM needs a stern frowning-at.
Invisusira

Postby benias » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:39 pm

So i just joined a BT guild (very high dps), and that was one of the first fights i tanked for them. It was super easy, and i think i made their warriors (mostly offtanks) feel a little bit threatened when i tanked for 80% of the fight despite no misdirects.
Mana pots are cheap, but making warriors feel useless is priceless :D
benias

Postby Jeslena » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:21 pm

I find that it depends on who gets aggro first or how often you are willing to chug mana potions more then how much spell damage you have over a certain point. I've had 500-600 and I don't notice that much difference from when I am 400-500. I do however have mana issues when we have excessive tanks fighting for aggro on Void.
Jeslena

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:55 am

Jeslena wrote:I do however have mana issues when we have excessive tanks fighting for aggro on Void.

Excessive tanks?
How many do you bring?

You don't need more than three and I'm sure there are Paladins here who only need one OT for the fight. I'm not to that point yet though.
Dragonzbane

Postby Jarkeld » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:15 pm

if the paly gets first aggro, they're good to go
last night, I went in first, with 799 spl dmg after jotc, and I took a total of 8 knockbacks while the warrior and druid who were also tanking each only took 1.
In the beginning the universe was created. This has made many people upset and generally been decided as a bad idea.
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... &n=Jarkeld
Jarkeld

Next

Return to Tempest Keep