AP and SP scale with threat linearly

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Invisusira » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:12 am

edit: AHH HAHAH TOP OF THE PAGE BITCHES, NOONE IS SAFE
and
Seraphia wrote:-edit- I'm sad I don't get the surprise ass joke :(

no you're not.
Last edited by Invisusira on Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Invisusira

Postby majiben » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:18 am

That's not a pair of functions >.<

Bring back the math >.<
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Steve » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:17 pm

Linearity vs non-linearity isn't really the issue. Usually when we are talking about scaling it's the slope of the lines that are at issue. Things scale badly if the slope is too small, and too well if the slope is too high.

Things that don't scale linearly tend to become pretty obvious as they end up breaking the game. Old ignite, old rage, and old avoidance are all obvious examples.

One way to work out your threat is to write a longish equation that expresses your rotation in terms of the various available threat stats (hit, expertise, AP, block value, crit, SP and whatever else) and then take partial derivatives with respect to the stat you want to investigate.

This will yield a formula which will allow you to plug in your current stats and see what a marginal increase in one specific stat will mean for threat.

I don't really know all the coefficients or what a good rotation would be, but I can write out some example later if anyone cares enough.
Steve

Postby Enkal » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:39 am

Well, old avoidances were linear (in specific intervals 1-60 and 60-70).. the effect of them was exponential tho. ;)

I guess the diminishing returns were made in order to make the effect more linear while making avoidance non linear.

You can of course make everything linear by transforming the space. :P
Enkal

Postby gibborim » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:00 am

Elsie wrote:Linear gains is obvious since +ap or +sp is strictly +damage done.

Expertise and hit rating give you a % increase, thus multiplicative.

AP, SP, Expertise and Hit rating are all linear. That is, if all other variables are constant, each point will yield the same amount of dps/tps gain. The hit and expertise ratings merely have caps where they cease having effect.
gibborim

Postby Garwin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:03 am

having seen this, I'd be interested to see the slope of a warrior, druid, and deathknight. as they have armour>ap talents and we have stamina>sp talents, not in any real consern to e-peen but more as an exercise in objectivity.

edit.. it would also be pretty cool if the mods cleared awa some of the supprise ass..
Garwin

Postby Elsie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:53 am

gibborim wrote:
Elsie wrote:Linear gains is obvious since +ap or +sp is strictly +damage done.

Expertise and hit rating give you a % increase, thus multiplicative.

AP, SP, Expertise and Hit rating are all linear. That is, if all other variables are constant, each point will yield the same amount of dps/tps gain. The hit and expertise ratings merely have caps where they cease having effect.

Depends if you're looking at the % gain change vs the % gain per rating point. i.e., going from 1% to 2%. instead of 1 to 2.

Not to mention I was also refering to NOT holding all other variables constant. Which is a terrible thing to do for anything that ends up contributing to a percentage-based stat.
Elsie

Postby gibborim » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:34 am

Elsie wrote:Depends if you're looking at the % gain change vs the % gain per rating point. i.e., going from 1% to 2%. instead of 1 to 2.

I'll admit, not many things in WoW look linear when you veiw them based on percent change. Not even AP or SP are linear if we evaluate them based on %gain/point.

Now, if you are trying to tell me that you gain a different amount of TPS/DPS from the 1st, the 20th and the 90th points of hit rating, I'm going to say you are wrong, and possibly call you a liar.
gibborim

Postby cordelia » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:32 pm

I guess I never updated the Original post here, so here's a link to what I did way back showing that everything scales linearly:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... &start=534
cordelia

Previous

Return to WotLK