[H] Violet Hold...where to tank portal guardians

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[H] Violet Hold...where to tank portal guardians

Postby Indago » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:37 pm

Ok, just one question really, though a quick explaination 1st-
I've run VH alot, both reg and heroic, and I have never let the mobs come to me. I always run to the swirly blue portal and pick the mobs up there. If its the elite packs, then yes, sometimes they spawn fast and I have to run around pick them all up, and those I generally just tank wherever the caster stops. I've always done it this way without a problem and noone I've ever grouped with has complained or suggested otherwise.

Well tonight I joined a pug for H VH thinking about easy badges, but the entire time I'm in there, the lock and the holy pally keep whinning at me for tanking the guardians up on the balcony, saying they were having LoS issues. I tell them politely (the 1st time) to walk around up the stairs. They keep whinning at me the whole run and eventually I dont even respond.

We get Xevozz, the etherial guy, for the 2nd boss, who I kite up to the balcony to LoS the orb and we have him pretty much down by the time we reach the other end, then the pally decides to stand in the orb and has to spam heals to keep himself up and I go down when the boss has 3k hp left. We get him and rez and keep going.

The 2nd portal after the 2nd boss we get a 4 pack of the dragons from the right hand balcony, I run over there and pick them up as they reach the steps. My hp keeps going down and when I look, the pally healer is at the other side of the room, drinking. He doesnt even stand til after I go down. After the wipe they start yelling at me for not waiting for the pally (who didnt say anything about mana til after I was already dead) and for tanking them at the top and not kiting them over to where the group was.
Long story short I left the group after that.

Am I missing something here though? Are they right and its actually faster/more efficent to pull the squads and the guardians to the center of the room and then have to run around and pick up the adds that the portals spawn? To me it seems like so much hassle that can be solved by just moving the party up and down the balcony steps

"It's not how hard you hit, it's how hard you get hit, and keep moving forward."-R.Pausch
Indago

Postby Wolvar » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:55 pm

I do it the way you do it. Never heard of any other way.
Wolvar

Postby UMIO » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:38 am

yeah the way your doing it the guardians is the easiest way rly, since with them you also pick up any adds they spawn but with the squads it's easiest just to left them run off the balcony and pick them up unless they spawn on the side of the balcony you already on then you should probably just tank them where they spawn.
UMIO

Postby Threatco » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:56 am

Your right.

They are wrong.

Not realy much to say about it.

It's actualy laughably stupid to even suggest you "move" the spawns in VH. That he couldn't heal Xevozz fight shows how he just has no idea.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Martie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:22 am

I hate that damn ethereal guy.
He kills me sometimes. (Any tips on him?)

Regardless of that, I do what you do, and I've never had any issues with parties complaining.
I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

This is my armory profile
Martie

Postby amh » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:30 am

Here´s where I tank the different spawn points, and I play a dwarf, so if I don´t have los-issues then no-one should :) Just make sure you stand on the top step. If the healer can´t keep up, then that´s his issue (though your problem).

Seems that I left out the packs that spawn on the ground floor, but I reckon those aren´t interesting.

I hate that damn ethereal guy
He kills me sometimes. (Any tips on him?)

Pick him up at "1.", tank him there till he starts summoning orbs. Then you run to the right stairs, pick him up again there and start kiting. Should die by the time you hit the "X", else just do a new circle.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby smeej » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:16 am

If they got mad at you for not 'waiting' to engage the mobs that come out and attack automatically, they are total failsauce. There's no way it's your fault if people can't keep up with you in a single room instance.

I personally usually just let the mobs run down to me, but I've changed that strategy since the last patch because the group on the left balcony now splits up instead of all coming down the same way. So I'm always just on the portal.

For ethereal guy, ya just do above.
smeej

Postby Wolvar » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:29 am

Best strat for ethereal guy is one that gets you the most dps time on him before you have to move. I move the entire group to the right platform and put them up the ramp from there. Tank him there (he'll come right to you) and wait till orbs are 10 yards or so from him then beeline up the ramp past the dps. They can continue shooting him for much longer this way and only have to worry about the orbs hitting THEM.

This guy is only rough on low dps groups. We generally have him dead before a 2nd summon.
Wolvar

Postby smeej » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:35 am

The hardest part of this instance is remembering to tank the demon dog in his kennel so his fat ass corpse isn't blocking your view for the next eight portals. :evil:
smeej

Postby amh » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:47 am

smeej wrote:The hardest part of this instance is remembering to tank the demon dog in his kennel so his fat ass corpse isn't blocking your view for the next eight portals. :evil:

Haha :D
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:53 am

You're the tank in a timed instance: Either they follow your lead, or they wipe and find another tank.

I've never seen or heard of a group doing the instance the way they suggested. You were right and I hope you put them all on your ignore list.
Belloc

Postby Nemuria » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:45 am

LK heroics are quite more interesting regarding LoS than BC. We now get more stairs, balcony and pillars instead of flat room-corridor-flat room. Also the instances where noobs can fall in the void are priceless (Nexus,Occulus)

While VH is smaller than CoT2, it is more challenging regarding positioning. However Aeonus in normal strikes relativily harder than heroic malygos girl . He did 6K nature damage on someone with 10KHP. If you took this during timestop his next melee just killed you. I found overall the Infinte dragon flight strikes harder than the Blue flight. I hope they will buff the heroics once we all get T7 or T8.
Nemuria

Postby Cearn » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:30 am

smeej wrote:The hardest part of this instance is remembering to tank the demon dog in his kennel so his fat ass corpse isn't blocking your view for the next eight portals. :evil:

Bring a skinner =D
Cearn

Postby Anubisknight » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:36 am

So, what was he doing between the boss kill and the next wave? There's time to have lunch and come back before the trash waves start spawning after a boss. Maybe he was gone for lunch during that time...
Anubisknight

Postby bub64882 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:16 pm

The only one I move is the spawn just to the right at the top of the broken wall. To the left is a pack of three elites, and they run down the crumbling wall right into my concecration, so that's not an issue. To the right is (for me at least) always a guardian who stands there, and I pull him to the lip of the broken wall, so my party doesn't have to climb up or have LOS issues from the main floor.

Everthing else seems cake to me. Fight them at the portal, or let them run to you.

Yes, the Ethereal boss needs to be kited across the top, but I'm referring to the trash.
bub64882

Next

Return to General Strats