Black Morass

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Black Morass

Postby Chevalier » Sun May 06, 2007 8:53 pm

sigh, I can't seem to down this instance...furthest ive gotten in 5 tries with 2 different groups is killing Temporus, need help and suggestions please. :(
Chevalier

Postby Promdates » Sun May 06, 2007 10:41 pm

don't use consecrate. Other than that, its really up to the rest of your group to do it. one person needs to be taking care of the spawns while the other 3 of you are killing the rift guy. The only boss who's remotely hard is the 2nd because of that stupid debuff. I usually end up tanking him with my raid gear on because you can avoid his debuff with dodge/parry/miss.
Promdates

Postby Fridmarr » Mon May 07, 2007 12:58 am

Promdates wrote:don't use consecrate. Other than that, its really up to the rest of your group to do it. one person needs to be taking care of the spawns while the other 3 of you are killing the rift guy. The only boss who's remotely hard is the 2nd because of that stupid debuff. I usually end up tanking him with my raid gear on because you can avoid his debuff with dodge/parry/miss.

It has been a very long time since I've been to BM, so maybe i'm forgetting something, but I know I used to consecrate a lot. Why do you recommend against it?
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Nikolaos » Mon May 07, 2007 2:06 am

Always just spammed consecrate myself, tanking everything at once. The last waves which you say your having problems with imply your having troubles with speed one possible way is like I'm told the heroic method is and use a beacon on each wave, other then that just got to gear up to be faster.
Nikolaos

Postby Lorath » Mon May 07, 2007 2:20 am

Here's how I do it, successful the last maybe 10 runs or so.

Just to give you an idea, unbuffed I have 510 ish def, around 10.5k hp, armor dunno but maybe 12-13k, some 160 spell dam, avoidance around 16-17 parry, 17-18 dodge, 20 block (rough numbers, sry)

Bring a good healer. I've had paladin, druid, shaman and priest all fulfill the healer role well enough, player skill is the key. Don't pug this instance

You need dps, lots of it. One melee dps char is nice to have, but not essential. Any dps works in enough quantity.

Make sure the party understands that YOU PULL, always. Keep clear focus on where the portals spawn, and make sure your healer is on the level with our class mechanic (pre-2.1 we still get the overheal mana so keep spamming heals!) and make sure you pull with 50% mana or more. This means you may have to drink BRIEFLY directly after a portal is cleared. 5 seconds should be enough. Mount up everytime and ride for the portal, unless it spawns very close. 100% mount + Crusader Aura good tip.

JoW the elite, and use SoV/SoR as you prefer. I use SoV. Tank him directly infront of the portal, smack on the path the small mobs run towards Medivh. Max rank HShield up always, and rank1 Consecrate up as much as you can. This way, any mobs coming from the portal sticks on you. Have the melee dps char (or dedicate another class) nuke the adds. With good dps, a rogue can solo the adds with little trouble and with you consecrating at the portal, no one escapes. :)
Use AW if you feel you need a threat booster.

Everyone should save the Beacons for the last portals, plop one down at Temporus and then one per subsequent portal last wave. Tbh we don't even use the Beacons anymore but it's good to have some backup available.

Chronolord Gaya is a pure tank'n'spank deal, again, tank him infront of the portal and keep consecration up to pick up the adds. Trinkets with +block/+armor and similar is excellent to save and use on the bosses as their cd will run out before the next boss.

Temporus is only hard IF you don't have enough avoidance. If the debuff starts to stack up, you're dead. Grace of Air totem, agility potion etc might help if you are low. With enough avoidance the debuff should not stack up above 2-3, and even fall off a few times since he can't score a pure hit. Only direct hits can apply the debuff, meaning miss/block/parry/dodge can not. Also dispel/spellsteal/purge his Haste buff.

Aonus is nasty, but use food/rum and go for high stamina, try having priest spam shield, shaman earth shield, keep all HoT's possible up. When he time stops you, he will put down the smack on you, and it will hurt - alot. You're no weakling tho and should be able to take it if you have 75%+hp when he time stops. Also tank him so he faces away from the group. You can buff up and drink before engaging him, Medivhs shield should be pristine so you can take it easy. AS pull, AW up, judgement of your choice (JotC for more dam/threat! whee) SoV/SoR, save trinkets until you have been time stopped atleast once (you might need the extra avoidance/mitigation), be ready with healthstone, pot, LoH etc. Use as you see fit, but save LoH for last obviously. Jewelcrafters can plop down a dense stone guy at the start of the fight (shares cd with healthstone so be careful)

So that's a pretty basic, roughly thrown together encounter guide... hope it helps! It's a very fun and hectic instance, I like it alot and if you do it right, the party will lavish you with praise! ^_^

edit: typos
Last edited by Lorath on Wed May 09, 2007 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

Postby YoYoMa » Wed May 09, 2007 8:58 am

We used to have issues with black morass until we came up with the following strat.

At a minimum you need a pally tanking, a good healer (pref a priest for PoM etc.), a mage for aoe, and any two other damage dealers. This group makeup works best for us but obviously everybody is different.

We have a pally tank (me) and stand up front for each wave and I basically just hit concecrate whenever adds spawn from the portal. You have everybody ignore the adds and focus only on the main boss for that wave. At about 10% the mage comes in and just AoEs the entire group down. Drink up and go to the next wave.

As the previous poster said, you need to make sure everbody stands back while YOU pull (I prefer to use avenger's shield, it will also pick up any adds that are popping when I pull). Then everybody can engage. If for some reason one gets past me on the pull (because maybe I was drinking) we have a hunter misdirect it back to me, or just have the mage down it quickly. But after that initial pull everybody is on the wave boss.

We end every single run at 100% shield still. It has proven very very effective.

I can't tell you how easy this makes this place.
YoYoMa

Postby honorshammer » Thu May 17, 2007 11:54 am

Problem that I ran into was two fold:

1. The Elites seemed to aggro from a good distance away and would get into the "deadzone" before I could toss the shield.

2. My avoidence is a bit low. Do/Pa/Bl + HS gets me to about 85-90%
honorshammer

Postby Sabindeus » Thu May 17, 2007 2:03 pm

I do the "tank everything" strategy

My biggest problem is running OOM due to not taking enough damage, or the stupid dragon Mages with their not moving when I try to move them. :/
Sabindeus

Postby Promdates » Thu May 17, 2007 3:17 pm

for some reason, i've just never used consecrate. theoretically i could, and tank them all but i like to have me+2dps on the big spawn and a lock/mage taking care of the small spawns. never had a problem with this unless the mage/lock sucks. ironically, i've managed to 4 man this instance and "drag" along random people for the 5th for their key. you'd be surprised how many people will pay 60g to get their key.

and yes, with 4 it really does become a dps race. fastest i've pulled off a 4 man attempt was somewhere around 30 minutes or so (including time waiting between bosses). this also includes mounting up and gathering all the non-elite adds pre-pull to just aoe them down for faster runs.
Promdates

Postby Ohren » Thu May 17, 2007 3:37 pm

Personally, I think the most important thing is a good person to take care of the adds. Best I've seen do it are a lock, boomkin, or hunter. Even decent healing (I've done it on my poorly geared resto druid) can get you through. On the second boss, we even put all dps on it and use one beacon to take care of the adds.
"You can't win the Kentucky Derby with a jackass."
Ohren

Postby Arcand » Thu May 17, 2007 3:45 pm

Note that there are two major pressure points in the run - Temporus and Aeonus - where people recommend using beacons.

That leaves three other beacons that you can drop whenever. People always seem to hold onto these, waiting for The Perfect Moment, and end up never using them.

Assign one person to save their beacon for Temporus and a second to save theirs for the final boss. The other three people, just pop them any time you're a bit stressed or a few seconds behind, to get yourselves back in control and conserve some mana. The timing doesn't have to be perfect; just promise yourselves that you'll end the run with zero beacons.
Arcand

Postby Promdates » Thu May 17, 2007 4:38 pm

Arcand wrote:Assign one person to save their beacon for Temporus and a second to save theirs for the final boss. The other three people, just pop them any time you're a bit stressed or a few seconds behind, to get yourselves back in control and conserve some mana. The timing doesn't have to be perfect; just promise yourselves that you'll end the run with zero beacons.

people always tell groups i do BM with to save the beacons for the last boss. yet, everytime they do i see them get one hit on him and then disappear. Lorath has it right, stack avoidance on the 2nd boss and you will continually get debuffs up to 2-3 and then disappear. personally, i use normal 5 man gear for portals 1-11, 13-17 with tanking gear on 12 and 18 for the "harder" bosses
Promdates

Postby Arcand » Thu May 17, 2007 4:57 pm

Promdates wrote:people always tell groups i do BM with to save the beacons for the last boss. yet, everytime they do i see them get one hit on him and then disappear.

Yes, sloppy language on my part. We used to be able to drop beacons on a boss (several at once) and watch him take a ton of damage; that no longer works.

Where I said "use a beacon on the boss", please read "when the boss appears, use a beacon to blow away any surviving adds so you can concentrate on the boss".
Arcand

Postby Bobness » Fri May 18, 2007 12:09 am

The biggest problem I have in this instance is random disonnects.

Is this just me or does this affect other people as well. Yesterday we had 3 people disconnect on wave 8 I think it was.

Wasn't bad until then....

This random disconnect happened quite a few times :-(
Bobness

Postby Minn » Sat May 19, 2007 8:30 am

I've run this instance 5 or 6 times these past 2 weeks, with PUGs and with guildmates of varying gear. First time through was a successful guild run, tanking it at level 68 (yes, the rest of the group was stacked).

The toughest spots for most groups are boss #2 (Temporus) in wave 12, and simply getting overwhelmed by portal spawns. Here are a couple suggestions:

Temporus: The first thing to keep track of here is his Hasten buff. If left unchecked, it'll make tanking this boss a LOT harder. Mages can put up detect magic and spellsteal, Shamans can purge it, Warlocks can summon a felhunter and set it on autodevour. Priests can dispel it, but typically they're healing, and damage spikes tend to follow the hasten buff, so it is better if someone else handles it.

The other thing to worry about is his stacking Mortal Wound debuff. Keeping Holy Shield up should be your #1 priority. By stacking avoidance & block as high as you can go, you'll have a better chance of dropping the debuff (it is blockable). For tanks that haven't hit "uncrushable" or groups that can't get rid of the Hasten buff, you'll have to dig a little deeper into your bag of tricks :) Trinkets like:
Dabiri's Enigma: http://www.thottbot.com/i30300
Charm of Alacrity: http://www.thottbot.com/i25787
are perfect for temporarily boosting your avoidance %'s. Wait for ~5s left on the current stack, pop one of those, and with any luck your healers will breathe a sigh of relief. If you're having terrible luck, adds eating your holy shield charges, hasten stacking the debuff to dangerous levels before your dps gets things done, you CAN use an immunity. It won't strip the debuff, but it will prevent the stack from being refreshed. This is a good opportunity to use DS + Righteous Defense. Let the timer tick down on the stacking debuff, warn your group "GET AWAY", then pop DS. Taunt him back before he eats a group member, drop your DS as soon as the stack drops, and finish up.

To stay on top of portal spawns, you need to keep killing the portal bosses. If you get behind, drop a beacon and BURN the boss. Medivh's shield can take a beating even after the summoned dragon expires. With 3 dps and a tankadin holding aggro you should be able to burn one portal boss quickly. JoW is great for most fights, but with a couple melees you can also consider JoL, especially on the aeing ones.
Minn

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics