[H] Gundrak - Slad'ran...buffed?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[H] Gundrak - Slad'ran...buffed?

Postby kenshin648 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:08 pm

Ok, so it seems they gave a buff to slad'ran. You can no longer kite him to the 2nd boss area and not have the constrictors follow you. So, what is the best strat for him now?
Give me blood
kenshin648

Postby Threatco » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:29 pm

What I do is have is the range fight on the ramp near the entrance. Me at the bottom of the ramp.

Why?

1.) The vipers all have to go through you to get to the healer. Much easier to see what adds need to be killed when they have to run through you. And more often they will take a melee first instead.

2.) Because you don't have to run as far from poison nova when you run up the ramp. I don't understand it but I only have to run for about 1/2 time to get out of range if I am running up the ramp.

I have been doing this for 2 months now on countless runs. Always works smooth, makes the fight a non issue even with pugs.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby kenshin648 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:34 pm

I did sit at the bottom of the ramp, but conc cant grab all the adds since it tics and they get past it before it can tic. During the run, we had only melee dps and none could really aoe dps shit down. That could have been part of the problem, but it seemed even more tough than pugs I had been in before I got good gear. They may have increased the frequency at which the constrictors spawn.
Give me blood
kenshin648

Postby Threatco » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:39 pm

I did sit at the bottom of the ramp, but conc cant grab all the adds since it tics and they get past it before it can tic. During the run, we had only melee dps and none could really aoe dps shit down. That could have been part of the problem, but it seemed even more tough than pugs I had been in before I got good gear. They may have increased the frequency at which the constrictors spawn.

The snake wrap ability I think happens like a fixate, getting aggro wont stop other people from getting wrapped. But aggroing them does keep them on you until they use that ability.

The only problem I see ever happen is what you said. If all the dps is melee they forget about the healer. HEaler can't stay wrapped in this fight or it's pretty much GG.

So as part of my standard tank boss blurb I assign someone to watch the healer. Ranged dps if we have it, lowest melee dps if not. Remind them to focus on snake wraps as #1 priority. If all people know this, and at least 1 perosn is repsonsible for the healer, there should be no trouble.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby daemonym » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:24 am

if your groups dps is around the 1800+range this strat will have him dead before snakes get to you.

have all your dps stand in a corner at the top of the ramps where you first entered the instance. healer waits about half way down. you pull boss with AS from max range and run back up. once you're in cast range of the healer they run up as well and hide in a corner up top. tank the boss right at the top of the ramp. if you have a DK have them cast army of the dead as you pull to have lotsa cannon fodder waiting fro him. with decent dps the boss will be dead before the snakes ever reach you. otherwise they run through your consecrate when the boss is nearly dead so it's almost a moot point anyways.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Flex » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:02 pm

Best strat for every boss in the game: kill him before you die.

I tank him in the middle, snakes run through my pissy ground to reach the healer, consecrate aggros them and they stick to me.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Thornir » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:05 pm

I followed Threatco's strategy today (H GD was the daily) and it went very smoothly. Before the fight starts, I just stood in the middle of the pit and told the healer to find the spot closest to the entrance where she could still heal me. I then told all Ranged DPS to stack on her. One of the melees was a DK, so what I did was have her cast DnD on the healer's spot every once in a while to pick up adds and i taunted off her. The ranged and healer were out of of the nova's range, and melee either booked it or took the heat from the nova. I just took the nova, because my healer was very good.

If you do happen to be wrapped, the easiest way to get out is to bubble or PvP trinket out. Otherwise, a melee is either going to step up as a tank or beat the wrap down (wrap has about 9k health).
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby Yinramu » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:58 am

It takes a little bit longer, but if you have a lower dps group, then running him to the second boss area, then kiting him around the area to the third boss area is a valid strategy. Just make sure you keep track of his poison nova and stop him just before major obstacles so you can LoS it.
Yinramu

Postby Epimer » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:32 am

daemonym wrote:if your groups dps is around the 1800+range this strat will have him dead before snakes get to you.

have all your dps stand in a corner at the top of the ramps where you first entered the instance. healer waits about half way down. you pull boss with AS from max range and run back up. once you're in cast range of the healer they run up as well and hide in a corner up top. tank the boss right at the top of the ramp. if you have a DK have them cast army of the dead as you pull to have lotsa cannon fodder waiting fro him. with decent dps the boss will be dead before the snakes ever reach you. otherwise they run through your consecrate when the boss is nearly dead so it's almost a moot point anyways.

A guildie suggested basically this strategy the other day, and it worked like a charm. You stay in and take the poison nova like a man, ranged and healer are already out of range of it, and melee have room to out-range it. Didn't even see a snake on the way up the ramp by the time he ate floor.
Epimer

Postby Thornir » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:21 am

Yinramu wrote:It takes a little bit longer, but if you have a lower dps group, then running him to the second boss area, then kiting him around the area to the third boss area is a valid strategy. Just make sure you keep track of his poison nova and stop him just before major obstacles so you can LoS it.

LoS nova can only be done by GTFO of range. You can't run behind a wall anymore. Also, adds follow you to that room now, so this might not be the best strategy.
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

Thornir

Postby Wolvar » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:40 am

I've never pulled him to 2nd boss area, I always tank him on the first skull pile in the next room with casters on the 2nd skull pile. you still get some adds, but nowhere near as many and it's easier to see them coming. This still works since 3.0.8.
Wolvar

Postby Worldie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:30 am

I never moved him AT ALL.

With decent DPS he should be dead before you even get more than 2 snakes.

p.s. Snakes finally despawn when you kill him \o/
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby PedroTacowalker » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:36 am

I could have sworn the kite trick worked last night. Maybe my groups' DPS was so fast the snakes never wrapped anyone. But when done I asked if anyone got wrapped, because the 1st boss in OK critted me for 35k when I tried to kite him the other day. No one got the wrap. ?? You guys sure on this being changed?
PedroTacowalker

Postby Thornir » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:37 am

Worldie wrote:I never moved him AT ALL.

With decent DPS he should be dead before you even get more than 2 snakes.

p.s. Snakes finally despawn when you kill him \o/

Key words here. I ran with a 800dps lock the time I went, and we still got him.
Thornir

Thornir

Postby Asterial » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:41 am

has anyone managed to get the damn "why'd it have to be snakes" achievement for Slad'ran????

AS A TANK..

I've done this guy numerous times in HC mode and everyone I group with in the PUG or guild runs always manages to get the achievement.... but because I'm the one with the threat I get snakewrapped every single time.

Is it just bad luck?
Asterial

Next

Return to General Strats