Remove Advertisements

[10] Sartharion Facing

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Sartharion Facing

Postby Petersen » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:50 am

Why does everyone tank him facing North (that is, so Sartharion is facing North)?

It seems to me (and I may well be missing something) that tanking him facing East ( the direction he is initially facing)would be best, perhaps give the raid more room to maneuver, but most importantly would let the raid most easily see from which side the lava is coming. I know this is a seemingly small advantage "well everyone should just be paying attention to the raid warnings and the lava." And for the most part I agree with you, but I strongly suspect with 3 drakes up, that's going to get pretty hectic, and easy to miss.

Specific spot to tank him, if you number the North waves A and B, and the South waves 1 2 and 3 (increasing in value from West to East), you would want to tank him on the edge of waves B and 3. Of course, I'm not sure where all three portals spawn for Sarth +3, so this positioning might have him breathing on a portal.

EDIT: to clarify, I don't mean to pull him straight to you from where he stands, you'd still want to have him on the east edge of the platform to maximize usable room in the area.

EDIT 2: Heroic or normal, I didn't think optimal facing would be any different between the two.
Last edited by Petersen on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
¬The Original PalaTank, Petersen the Unbreakable
Tanking with a Paladin since before it was 'cool.'
Petersen

Re: Sartharion Facing

Postby theckhd » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:19 am

Petersen wrote:Why does everyone tank him facing North (that is, so Sartharion is facing North)?

It seems to me (and I may well be missing something) that tanking him facing East ( the direction he is initially facing)would be best, perhaps give the raid more room to maneuver, but most importantly would let the raid most easily see from which side the lava is coming. I know this is a seemingly small advantage "well everyone should just be paying attention to the raid warnings and the lava." And for the most part I agree with you, but I strongly suspect with 3 drakes up, that's going to get pretty hectic, and easy to miss.

Specific spot to tank him, if you number the North waves A and B, and the South waves 1 2 and 3 (increasing in value from West to East), you would want to tank him on the edge of waves B and 3. Of course, I'm not sure where all three portals spawn for Sarth +3, so this positioning might have him breathing on a portal.

EDIT: to clarify, I don't mean to pull him straight to you from where he stands, you'd still want to have him on the east edge of the platform to maximize usable room in the area.

Did you mean "on the North edge of the platform" in your last sentence? Because putting him on the east edge of the platform and facing him east is just pulling him straight to you from where he stands...

In any event, the reason you usually face him north or south is because of breath + tail swipe. If you face him east or west, a good portion of the island is covered by either his tail swipe (bad, knockdown+damage) or breath (worse, huge damage).

I suppose you could tank him facing east/west while keeping him on the northern or southern edge of the island, but you're still cutting out a pretty big cone-shaped section right behind his hitbox thanks to the tail swipe, which cuts down on room to maneuver. Also, compressing your raid into a smaller area with 2 drakes up concurrently (as will usually happen when learning the 3-drake version of the fight) means less space to move around and avoid void zones.

<edit> By the way, we actually face him South. The raid lines up on the north side of the island, usually mounted up. The tank pulls him directly to the east side of the island (i.e. pull him exactly the direction he's facing), and then turns him to face south, and backs him up to the Southeast edge of the island. The raid runs to the west side and spreads out once Sarth is positioned, ready to jump Tenebron when he lands.

We found that this accomplishes a few things:
-you have over 3/4 of the island to work with and spread out, which means it's much easier to see void zones.
-MT doesn't have to turn Sartharion too significantly to dodge lava waves
-The drake portals apprear on the eastern edge of the area covered by the central lava wave, and with this positioning they're accessible without getting breathed on or tail swiped
-The drakes can be tanked basically where they land, facing south (north for vesperon)
-one of the small islands to the East of the central large island is actually outside of flame wave range and isn't hit by any lava walls. We put a Holy paladin here healing the Main Tank, since that way he doesn't have to move. The other MT healer (usually a priest) stays on the central island with the rest of the group, and has to dodge lava waves.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Call to Arms 5.x, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Petersen » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:32 pm

If I knew how to upload a picture I'd (try to) show you what I mean with a very crappy MSpaint picture.

Anyway, your spot sounds even better than what I was trying to do, I'll have to give that a shot next time.
¬The Original PalaTank, Petersen the Unbreakable
Tanking with a Paladin since before it was 'cool.'
Petersen

Postby Cakes » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:15 pm

Yeah, the simplest reasoning for North-South facing is that it gives the rest of the raid horizontal and vertical (up being North, in this instance) movement during waves. An East-West facing would cut a substantial margin of your vertical movement space, which is already limited (i.e. the platform is longer East-West than it is tall).
Former GM and Raid Leader of Midwinter - US PVE Ysera
Cakes

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon