Remove Advertisements

Kel'Thuzad (25) agro wiping on MC

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Kel'Thuzad (25) agro wiping on MC

Postby Agergadin » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:57 am

Has anyone else seen this? It seems since 3.0.8 that now when he does mind control, he dumps agro. Biggest issue with this is the randomness of MC, my burst threat can be down and I need to rely on taunt (not a bad thing) to get him back when he peels.

I'm largely looking for other people's experience. In the past on MC I'd hammer someone that is controlled until it can be CC'd, especially if it is melee. The first attempt since the patch he MCd a lot and by the time hammered, got back to KT, he had killed someone. In the past this wasn't an issue, and now it's not really an issue since we know of it, but has anyone else experienced this?
Agergadin
Happy Death Day
Mal'Ganis
Agergadin

Postby Kynes » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:05 am

He's always dropped aggro on MC, it was something our warrior MT had to learn to deal with. Just something you gotta get used to.

Good luck :)
Kynes of the Nightfall - Darkspear
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ar&n=Kynes

Eversteel used to tank uphill both ways in the snow.
Kynes

Postby Agergadin » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:26 am

Dang, ok. Guess I get to chalk that up to judging light before. All the non-CC dps beating on him just built my threat right the heck back up.

Lol, the funny things you learn when they change things up. the whole thing blew my mind when on Sapphiron I dc'd at the first Ice Blocks and the OT did everything to try and peel agro but couldn't until I officialy went offline. Since I held agro w/o doing a single thing, I figured my threat was fine.
Agergadin
Happy Death Day
Mal'Ganis
Agergadin

Postby Belloc » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:28 am

Kel'thuzad's aggro wipe is an excellent time to use your new taunt, followed by a Hammer of Justice so that some random DPS doesn't get one-shot :P
Belloc

Postby majorwoo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:37 am

Just be careful with the new Taunt, the glyph isn't giving it 8% extra spell hit atm making it far less reliable (unless you found a way to get a crap ton of +hit gear on which I sure didn't)
Despite all my rage, I am still just a Paladin Tank.
majorwoo

Postby Joanadark » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:15 am

The aggro drop is a remnant of the former level 60 mechanics.

Basically, when he does his multiple-target MC, if one of the targets he selects to attempt to MC happens to be the MT it will act as if he DID in fact MC the MT and will wipe his threat.
When they copy/pasted over the instance from the level 60 version, however, they made the MT be immune to the MC so they never actually get mind controlled if they were on top of threat before-hand.

Think of it like the MC actually goes off, but they made it so that the MT will instantly pop back out of it.

Back at level 60, it was perfectly possible for the tanks to get MC'd however, so you required multiple tanks always on KT just in case.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Sederia » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:08 pm

ya, we discovered this :)

I tend to be add tank in our 25mans(our warrior MT outgears me, piss poor drop luck 4tl), so I toss shield / exorcism from the back
tossed shield as MC hit one time, KT decides to start charging me, our MT snagged him back and was mumbling about it on vent
Sederia

Postby errdo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:26 am

I've tanked him a few times now, my threat is rather strong so i just save exorcism for when he wipes threat, pop it fast and usually i can keep my rotation going on him just fine, the biggest problem i have though is trying not to dps the MCs down for when melee get caught in my consecrate or HotR... it really sucks when all the warriors and paladins burn down a poor rogue caught in the middle lol
errdo

Postby Erendis » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:33 am

We were running into this tonight on our KT attempts and it honestly baffled our guild. I guess its good to know we should be expecting this to happen and can then work out a solution. Most likely make sure DPS stops for a bit for the tank to re-establish aggro.
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Postby Gullion » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:20 pm

The Chains of Kel'Thuzad will no longer reset the raid's threat in upcoming patch of 3.1

So pre-3.1, it was intentional that Blizzard did this in 25man KT.

But, alot of ppl on wow forums were either QQing, confused, or dps complained too much about tank not holding aggro enough (which I know for a fact, it was not the tank's threat that was the problem) it was simply a different spell KT does compared to 10man Naxx.

Easy way to do this, simply dps should wait a couple seconds after the chains for tank to regain the threat/aggro again OR if you have a hunter/rogue to "MD" KT back to the tank asap.

But again, coming 3.1, you wont have to worry about it anymore, it'll be a constant threat on the tank throughout the fight, unless the tank really DOES suck as holding aggro. :P
Frisbeeing no0bs since 2005
Gullion

Postby dmok » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:26 pm

Gullion wrote:So pre-3.1, it was intentional that Blizzard did this in 25man KT.

Pretty sure it is just a left-over side-effect from the old 40man KT fight.

Back then, the MT *was* a valid target for a MC. It has been reasoned that the aggro "reset" by KT exists in the case where he would have MC the MT. Since that is no longer possible, he simply retargets someone else however the effect on aggro of bring MC still occurs.

This is the reasoning, because there is not a threat dump EVERY time KT does his MC, it is only sometimes.
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon