the most irritating, difficult and annoying daily?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

the most irritating, difficult and annoying daily?

Postby masterpoobaa » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:48 pm

"Thrusting Hodir's Spear"

is http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=13003
The most hideously annoying daily yet?

Ive died 4 times trying to get this one down...
Tried spamming #1 to stay on, but then i dont do enough damage, take too much damage, and eventually fall off anyway as it gets harder to stay on.

Given how few mobs there are to kill for the hodir dailies, and how camped out they are, blizz must be enjoying the pain they are giving out.

Me going to farm relics methinks.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Threatco » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:57 pm

Takes practice. And volume turned on. And to be able to see your "grip" stack debuff.

When he picks you up. your at around 60 grip. You need to press 1 to add 10 to your grip up to 99. Then you can do a small attack 3 to do some damage and it brings it down about 10.

You basicly jab and grab keeping your self at 90ish. Except when you hear the loud, obvious "RAWR" Then you instantly hit 2 (its off GCD or something). This will dodge the talons and you follow with a 4 (big hit, drops you form 90 to about 60 grip) then 1 your way back to 90ish.

The biggest thing to note is that he will never claw at you faster then you CD can handle. It seems like it sometimes though. If he claws at you immediately after he just did one, keep hitting 2, and even tho you get it late, it will still dodge.

(PICKED UP)

1 1 1 1 1 1 1

3 3 11 33 111 33 11 33 11 (RAWR)

2 (Dodged!) 4 (STAB!) 1 1 1 1 11 1 1

3 3 11 33 11 33 11 33 (RAWR)

2 (Dodged!) 4 (STAB!) 1 1 1 1 11 1 (RAWR, 2 STILL ON CD) 2 2 2 2 2 2 (DODGED BARLEY)

Don't 4 unless you dodge, because you cant use avoid for a while after it.

Then when phase 2 happens, spam 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1to get 10 stacks then 3 to shoot. You should get 2 tries but usually only need one.

Hope that sorta makes sense. I do it with my armor
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby phaqueue » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:22 pm

nowadays... skip that daily and grind out 20 relics to make up for it :)

I plan to do Honored -> Exalted just grinding Relics, will be easier to just find a nice AOE grinding spot :)
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby masterpoobaa » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:01 pm

Hrm... cant say ive seen the stack of "grip"

where does it appear on a vanilla wow interface?
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Mex » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:44 pm

I don't think I've ever failed this daily. It takes some time to get the hang of, but as a prot pally it's just stupidly easy.

First thing, throw on max stam gear. BoSanc on yourself, and RF. Not sure if devo aura helps but I use it anyway.

Harpoon a drake.

Open with 4 (the big stab). Use this ability on cooldown. In between spam grip, or the small stab if you're at 99 grip. If he swipes at you and your dodge is on CD due to stabbing him, ignore it. 2000 damage is nothing. Hit him as often as possible with your big stab, if you DPS him too slowly your grip starts to fail faster than you can refresh it.

When you get to P2, you should basically just spam pry until your health is so low that you'll only survive another three or four hits, then hit throw. If it misses, hit pry until it's off CD again and throw again. Doing this, you should be able to get to a ~98% or higher chance of success over your two throws.
Mex

Postby phaqueue » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:53 am

Mex wrote:I don't think I've ever failed this daily. It takes some time to get the hang of, but as a prot pally it's just stupidly easy.

First thing, throw on max stam gear. BoSanc on yourself, and RF. Not sure if devo aura helps but I use it anyway.

Harpoon a drake.

Open with 4 (the big stab). Use this ability on cooldown. In between spam grip, or the small stab if you're at 99 grip. If he swipes at you and your dodge is on CD due to stabbing him, ignore it. 2000 damage is nothing. Hit him as often as possible with your big stab, if you DPS him too slowly your grip starts to fail faster than you can refresh it.

When you get to P2, you should basically just spam pry until your health is so low that you'll only survive another three or four hits, then hit throw. If it misses, hit pry until it's off CD again and throw again. Doing this, you should be able to get to a ~98% or higher chance of success over your two throws.

for phase 2... pry gives 5% chance to crit per stack... crits cannot miss... get 20 stacks pf pry then throw - guaranteed hit/kill
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby culhag » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:01 am

Mex wrote:First thing, throw on max stam gear. BoSanc on yourself, and RF. Not sure if devo aura helps but I use it anyway.
I've tested it and stam doesn't change anything, the attacks deal a % of your max HP.

Your "grip" appears as a buff on the drake.

Don't skip this quest ! It's worth 500 reputation, and it's a nice change from the grind ! Once you figure it out you'll only ever fail if you don't pay enough attention, and even then your bubble can save you once.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:04 am

I failed the first couple of times I tried it, then I read a decent guide on how to do it on Wowhead which is basically along the same lines as the Threatco's post.

It's now one of the more fun dailies.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:09 am

This is not the most annoying daily. Hard when you first get it (took me four-five attempts on both my characters the first day they did it), but once you work it out it's quick and easy.

Annoying is pre-patch Shoot-Em-Up. Those harpoon guns were horribly positioned, their direction far too restricted (most of them seem to point to the side instead of forward), and the energy drained too fast. It would generally take me 15 minutes or more (a lot more if other people were doing it, and thus tagging the mobs) to kill 20. I haven't tried it since the patch to see how much better it is.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Rehlachs- » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:23 am

the prepatch legerdemain cooking daily that required 12 chilled meat. sucked to that one with 3 toons..

I really hated the not-so-friendly skies daily from the netherwings pre wotlk.

Annoying is pre-patch Shoot-Em-Up. Those harpoon guns were horribly positioned, their direction far too restricted (most of them seem to point to the side instead of forward), and the energy drained too fast. It would generally take me 15 minutes or more (a lot more if other people were doing it, and thus tagging the mobs) to kill 20. I haven't tried it since the patch to see how much better it is.

the harpoons south of that arena thingy worked fine.
Rehlachs-

Postby majiben » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:09 am

Basically don't use your big thrust every cooldown. When you use it it puts your dodge on. When you first get on the drake just grip until the first clawing. Dodge then do the big thrust followed by the small ones. When he claws again dodge then just grip. Repeat this and you should do fine on phase 1.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Maat » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:17 am

I actually think the spear daily is really awesome, and do it every time I happen to be in the area :P Been exalted for awhile now so...

The daily I actually hated the most (of the ones that I was compelled to do for rep anyway) was the Hodir wolf quest. Chasing that stupid ghost wolf not just once, but THREE times was a bore and a half.

If you want frustrating though, try doing that Hodir pre-quest on the proto-drakes flying around Temple of Storms as a BM hunter.
Maat

Postby Bregor » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:28 am

Best daily ever! :D

What I do is to use the big attack each CD even though it puts dodge on CD too. Increase grip in between and dodge if it not on CD. Small attacks are pretty much optional but good to use when you have high enough grip. That gets you to p2 at almost full health and then you "just" have to crit before he kills you.

Overall, I died 2 times doing this quest (although I only occasionally do it since I am exalted.)
Bregor - Deathwing(EU) - 0/53/18
Bregor

Postby Mozen » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:41 am

The way I remember it was this:

Combo 1) Grip > Thrust > Thrust
Combo 2) Evade > Deep Thrust > Recover grip to reasonable level

Do 1 until dragon emotes to claw, then immediately go 2, since Evade is off the GCD we don't need to worry about combo 1 interfering with Evade.

Once in phase 2 just stack as far up to 20 as possible and thrust. I never fail with this.

Tankadins probably can afford to spam deep thrust and only evade when you happen to be able to. But I like the feeling of doing a "perfect" phase 1. :P

Oh and always try to pick up a dragon from the other end of the area. If you pick up from right in front of Hodir's camp, it'll short-cut its path and you won't have enough time to get into phase 2 before you're forced to loose grip. (When dragon flies over the camp and returns, grip will fall much faster.)
Mozen

Postby Belloc » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:44 am

I've yet to fail this daily (including my first attempt).

Spam 1 until you're at max grip (99, it's a debuff). Hit 2 whenever you hear the roar or see the message on your screen/chat box. After hitting 2, hit 4 (but never the other way around, as 4 invokes a long cooldown on 2). You need to be spamming 1 almost the whole time, as there is no reason not to, really.

When not hitting 2 or 4, be spamming 3 as well. You can pretty much spam 1 and 3 constantly, and then just weave in a 2 and a 4 every time the mob claws.

The key is to dodge every claw, which is very easy to do if you're paying attention.

If you successfully dodge every claw (or only take 1-2), then you'll be set for phase 2.

Phase 2, spam 1 until your debuff hits 15+ stacks. At that point, you're almost guaranteed to kill him, so hit 3. If you have 20 stacks, you can't miss, so shoot for that goal if you have enough health.

CLAW
CLAW
etc.
Belloc

Next

Return to General Strats